Author Topic: Questions about Compressors (Rotary Screw or other)  (Read 2664 times)

Offline DCSP John

Questions about Compressors (Rotary Screw or other)
« on: July 26, 2012, 04:03:13 PM »
Hello All... John here from DC Shirt & Print.

I have a new Sportsman  10/12 arriving at the end of the month.
We currently run an all  electric/servo Anatol. The compressor we have (EATON) is a monster,
and has worked flawlessly for the past few years [3 phase 60 gallon.]

What type of compressor/system are any of you multi-automatic shops running?
Is a rotary screw the best option? Or should I just  be looking at a larger tank piston engine  to push
air to two presses? I've put in a call to my compressor maintenance guy, put would really value
advice from guys in my same line of work..

Thanks in advance. I look forward to reading your replies.

John @ DCSP

Offline 244

• Gonzo Member
Re: Questions about Compressors (Rotary Screw or other)
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 04:24:48 PM »
Hello All... John here from DC Shirt & Print.

I have a new Sportsman  10/12 arriving at the end of the month.
We currently run an all  electric/servo Anatol. The compressor we have (EATON) is a monster,
and has worked flawlessly for the past few years [3 phase 60 gallon.]

What type of compressor/system are any of you multi-automatic shops running?
Is a rotary screw the best option? Or should I just  be looking at a larger tank piston engine  to push
air to two presses? I've put in a call to my compressor maintenance guy, put would really value
advice from guys in my same line of work..

Thanks in advance. I look forward to reading your replies.

John @ DCSP
Your Sportsman is only going to use around 3HP of air at full speed. You dont mention how big your current setup is?
Rich Hoffman

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 04:41:41 PM »
For one compressor running more than one auto and other accessories, I'd go nothing less than 10HP Rotary Screw and wouldn't even think about a reciprocating unit.  A recipro isn't that bad on one auto but running two would mean it would be running a lot, and if it's not in a sound proof room then you'll be regretting your decision within a few weeks.  Others might have more info on the best HP for 2 servo/ac'd autos but I think 10 would put you in the right place.  What do you think Rich, 10 or more HP?
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline 244

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 05:02:08 PM »
For one compressor running more than one auto and other accessories, I'd go nothing less than 10HP Rotary Screw and wouldn't even think about a reciprocating unit.  A recipro isn't that bad on one auto but running two would mean it would be running a lot, and if it's not in a sound proof room then you'll be regretting your decision within a few weeks.  Others might have more info on the best HP for 2 servo/ac'd autos but I think 10 would put you in the right place.  What do you think Rich, 10 or more HP?
A ten would probably work but I do not know the requirements of the other press. Rotary screw for sure though!
Rich Hoffman

Offline Gabe

• If it`s not alive, I can print it.
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 06:06:40 PM »
like mention above a 10 rotary screw would do, you can connect it to the
60 gal tank and disconnect the piston driven one
Gabe

Offline ScreenPrinter123

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 06:13:47 PM »
We have a Chicago Pneumatic 7.5 hp rotary screw with a 60 gallon tank and a chiller.  It was able to keep up with a 6 color Freedom and 8 color Rhino printing all heads at the same time.  It pretty much ran non-stop but then again the only time all heads were ever running at the same time was just to test to see if it could handle it.  These are both all-air presses so with a Sportsman and an all-air press I am confident our compressor would be plenty.

Definitely spend the extra and get a rotary screw.

Offline DCSP John

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 07:53:19 PM »
Hey Fellas.. thanks for the insight.
My current machine is gulping air at a rate of:

[7 SCFM]
[198 L/min]

Well.. a rotary it is. I guess the question is 7.5 or 10.
But, I can probably answer my own question and say 10 is the top seed.

I appreciate the feedback.

I heard there is a sale on rotary screws down at the White House, so I might
swing down there and grab once from the West Wing. Always great bargains to be had
if you can squeeze by the Secret Service.

John @ DCSP

Online ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 08:02:26 PM »
like mention above a 10 rotary screw would do, you can connect it to the
60 gal tank and disconnect the piston driven one
Gabe

Recommended. God forbid your screw should fail, but if it does, it's an easy fix.

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2012, 08:33:00 PM »
Go with the 10, better to run a big compressor lightly than to run a small one hard...
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline Gabe

• If it`s not alive, I can print it.
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2012, 08:42:25 PM »
Recommended. God forbid your screw should fail, but if it does, it's an easy fix.
[/quote]
That`s the point if it does  you`ll run the piston driven as a back up

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2012, 02:59:45 PM »
Go with the 10, better to run a big compressor lightly than to run a small one hard...

Always get more than you think you'll need.. now that it's hot, the 30hp at the shop can't keep up and faults out twice a day from the overbearing load it's under. Talks are in the works for a 50hp screw.
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline Zelko-4-EVA

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2012, 07:40:23 AM »

Always get more than you think you'll need.. now that it's hot, the 30hp at the shop can't keep up and faults out twice a day from the overbearing load it's under. Talks are in the works for a 50hp screw.

how much air storage do you have?

we just got a 25 hp compressor - runs four presses, two folders, air guns, ink pumps and chemical pump system.  The VSD system dosent go over 30% load unless the air tanks are cut off.  in one month ive noticed about a 5Kw difference in the electric bill...

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2012, 10:27:25 PM »

how much air storage do you have?

we just got a 25 hp compressor - runs four presses, two folders, air guns, ink pumps and chemical pump system.  The VSD system dosent go over 30% load unless the air tanks are cut off.  in one month ive noticed about a 5Kw difference in the electric bill...
[/quote]

That's part of the problem, only storage is the old rotary pump tank lined into the system, the 1/2 mile of pipe in the building and the machines (6 presses and assorted pad machines,and water blow off nozzles that uses air. If they got a 400 gallon tank, that would take off some of the load but the other issue is every single press has a major air leak somewhere so the system is constantly under a load.
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services