Author Topic: Smokin Deal on Kiwo One Coat  (Read 7235 times)

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
Smokin Deal on Kiwo One Coat
« on: August 03, 2012, 04:12:33 PM »
GSG has Kiwo One Coat on sale for $197/5 gallon.  If you use chromablue or something similar, you'll like the Kiwo OC, it's a really good SBQ.  It's just a solid, all around pure photopolymer that you can add diazo to for discharge and wb inks or just keep it like it is.  I haven't used it for discharge so I don't know how it holds up but as a plastisol emulsion, it's as good or better than chromablue or any other pure photopolymer I've ever used.

When I called them and asked about the deal, the guy wasn't so sure about it but said he'd honor it since their website has it priced that way.  If you would like to take advantage of this deal, you might want to hurry.  I'll keep an eye on the website to make sure it doesn't change.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
Re: Smokin Deal on Kiwo One Coat
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 04:18:14 PM »
I don't buy emulsion in 5's but this price for this emulsion is too good to pass up.  I'll pour it down into a gallon and use it from there.  I'm also going to test it out on discharge ink one day next week and will post up about that.

Like I said earlier, if you use pure photo emulsion, this is a good one.  It does everything well and it's very comparable to chromablue.  We stopped using it since I boycotted the supplier but the boycott is over now so this might become my go-to PP emulsion.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Online ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 04:43:48 PM »
we NEVER had good luck with kiwo one coat and discharge
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline Orion

• !!!
  • Ain't no shortcuts in screen printing.
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 04:55:08 PM »
Same as Eric, even with the "diazo d" added to the one coat and using "hardener wr". Using the "hardener k" worked but a real pita to reclaim. Had to use cci genzyme at full strenght to get the emulsion out. We are using cci wr25 which ia a diazo emulsion. Can be used for palstisol or water base/discharge.
Dale Hoyal

Offline jasonl

• !!!
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 05:27:33 PM »
I tried wr25 and HATED it.  Still kiwo discharge for me.
"We Make Blank Shirts Look Awesome!"

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 05:42:27 PM »
Well, still a good emulsion for straight plastisol.  I won't waste my time with discharge then. 

Jason, that's the first I've heard of anyone hating the wr25 that I can remember at least.  What exactly did you not like about it?

Online ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012, 06:08:41 PM »
we use CPTex and have had great results. Trying it with our biggest run tomorrow. 1800 pc 2c discharge.

They have all be harded with CCI semi hardener, and sitting in the sun right now.

one coat is great for plastisol though. exposes super fast. BUT i will say, it didn't retain that great of detail for us.
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2012, 06:26:47 PM »
I tried wr25 and HATED it.  Still kiwo discharge for me.
Is it the CCI WR25 that you hated or the Ulano 925WR. Like Alan I have never heard any one say Ulano was bad.

Offline jasonl

• !!!
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2012, 09:00:50 PM »
cci wr25, first thing is its brown when coated.  I hate that, but it doesnt affect the functionality.  Second, its a 2 part, unlike Kiwo discharge.  Third, the purple color it turns after you wet it,  SUX for on press visiblity (IMO).  Fourth, its SUPER hard to reclaim.  Fifth, if you get it on your fingers, they will be YELLOW for DAYS.  My Nazdar rep say only chicken grease would take the yellow off your fingers.   Should I stop there.  Oh yeah, 175 light units to expose,  my Kiwo exposes in 22 light units.  I'm finished now. ;)

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2012, 09:20:45 PM »
we use CPTex and have had great results. Trying it with our biggest run tomorrow. 1800 pc 2c discharge.

They have all be harded with CCI semi hardener, and sitting in the sun right now.

one coat is great for plastisol though. exposes super fast. BUT i will say, it didn't retain that great of detail for us.

We used the cp tex on our longest discharge run, 2500 pcs and we didn't use hardener.  The screen broke down after 200-300 shirts.  We played that game for another 2 screens then finally put a screen in production with the wr25 and didn't have any problems for the rest of the run, approximately 1700 pcs.

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2012, 09:35:01 PM »
cci wr25, first thing is its brown when coated.  I hate that, but it doesnt affect the functionality.  Second, its a 2 part, unlike Kiwo discharge.  Third, the purple color it turns after you wet it,  SUX for on press visiblity (IMO).  Fourth, its SUPER hard to reclaim.  Fifth, if you get it on your fingers, they will be YELLOW for DAYS.  My Nazdar rep say only chicken grease would take the yellow off your fingers.   Should I stop there.  Oh yeah, 175 light units to expose,  my Kiwo exposes in 22 light units.  I'm finished now. ;)

I can understand most of that but never found issue with 1,3,4 or 5.  It took the same amount of time to expose as all of the dual cures we've used and also reclaimed like all the rest.  I like the one part of the kiwo discharge a lot.  And the yellow stain on the hands only happened to me one time, then I managed to keep it off me and in the containers, it was a bitch to get off.  Does the kiwo expose as quickly as pure photopolymers do at your shop?  What hardener are you using with the kiwo, if any?

It's crazy how emulsion can act so differently from one shop to the next, same goes with most of the stuff we use in the shop.

Offline jasonl

• !!!
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2012, 09:52:03 PM »
it is a photopolymer.  its all i use.  for everything.  I dont use a hardener, BUT I havent ran any really large runs of discharge either.  I would guess I would need it when I do.

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2012, 11:21:21 PM »
Well, still a good emulsion for straight plastisol.  I won't waste my time with discharge then. 

Jason, that's the first I've heard of anyone hating the wr25 that I can remember at least.  What exactly did you not like about it?

I hated it as well. It did not last for crap for us. Broke down pretty quickly wherever there was tape.

I am a Jason L too so I figured I would respond......lol
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2012, 09:32:28 AM »

I hated it as well. It did not last for crap for us. Broke down pretty quickly wherever there was tape.

I am a Jason L too so I figured I would respond......lol

I'm a Jason L too haha. . .

I have 4 gallons of the Kiwo discharge to run through. SO far, I have to agree with Jason L the 1st, it's friggen awesome. exposes as fast as QTX, detail like a dual cure - works for everything. I never tried this one coat stuff, but for us - it's aquasol hv or kiwo discharge. both are fantastic when you put all the factors into play = cost, exposure time, detail, color, reclaimability, and ease of purchase.

However, I think it was the autsol PLUS 8000 that takes the cake for the best emulsion when price isn't a factor. which in reality, price should be the last factor to consider. if at all.
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline jasonl

• !!!
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2012, 09:43:43 AM »
I seem to be multiplying. :)

What do you pay for your Kiwo Discharge Homer? And where do you get it?