Author Topic: How do I convert this font to "two" colors?  (Read 5194 times)

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
How do I convert this font to "two" colors?
« on: August 07, 2012, 09:57:34 AM »
I want to print this with the black being black and then the inside white bits being white (amazing I know).

How would I do this via Illustrator (unless there is a better way to do this?)  I've tried expanding and releasing the compound path but things just get ugly at that point.

FYI the font is "Woodcut".

Offline Croft

Re: How do I convert this font to "two" colors?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 10:05:46 AM »
convert to path then release from compound path.

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 10:15:56 AM »
In Corel there is several ways I would think one could be applied to Illy as well./

1. is to use the smart fill tool time consuming but it works
2. Is to use the boundary tool which then would need to be trimmed by the black part of the text leaving only the white areas as objects.
Another pain staking way is to break it apart and then dig out all the pieces that were the white areas weld them into one object and color but that way sucks trust me.

The boundry tool is my fav way to do this but a nasty font like that tends to cause node issues up the ying yang in Corel, the program is weak in that area I know Illy is much better at things like that.
"No man is an island"

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 10:20:02 AM »
Hey Gilligan, I'm guessing you have the font, so here's how I would do it: Set the type, "Create Outlines" under the Type menu to convert to vectors. Now, put a rectangle of any color behind the text, select all, and on your Pathfinder pallet, use Divide, then with all still selected, selected, Ungroup. Now take your direct selection tool, the hollow arrow, and select the parts you don't want and throw them away; all done, easy peasy.

Steve

The problem you may be having is that when you Create Outlines, the white is actually empty, fill is None, so there's nothing to grab and color...
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline prozyan

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 10:20:05 AM »
The easiest way I know of is in Corel (not sure if that helps you), but just convert it to bitmap and trace it.
If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 10:43:43 AM »
The easiest way I know of is in Corel (not sure if that helps you), but just convert it to bitmap and trace it.

Interestingly, the white shapes already have that "traced" look, probably from the creation of the font in the first place.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 10:49:54 AM »
that's why you don't want to turn to bitmap and trace, because trace simply isn't good enough, it looks like a trace, and it really shouldn't. Follow my instructions Gilligan, their in Illustrator, takes less than a minute, all shapes are sharp. If you need some help, call me or email me.

Steve

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 10:51:36 AM »
Hey Gilligan, I'm guessing you have the font, so here's how I would do it: Set the type, "Create Outlines" under the Type menu to convert to vectors. Now, put a rectangle of any color behind the text, select all, and on your Pathfinder pallet, use Divide, then with all still selected, selected, Ungroup. Now take your direct selection tool, the hollow arrow, and select the parts you don't want and throw them away; all done, easy peasy.

Steve

The problem you may be having is that when you Create Outlines, the white is actually empty, fill is None, so there's nothing to grab and color...

Not sure if this is what Mike was describing to do in corel, but it made me think about the path finder tools.  Thanks for laying it out though, I always have a hell of a time picking the right tool for the job.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2012, 11:07:22 AM »

Steve

this is the way I would do it or pretty close to it. Make sure the block of color is behind the text after you convert to outlines and then just click on the merge in pathfinder. Grab the big block around the text and delete it. . .

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2012, 11:17:44 AM »
I dont know what the path finder tool is but it sounds like its similar to smart fill?
"No man is an island"

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2012, 11:55:05 AM »
Drop that puppy in Photoshop. 600 ppi. Clean edges make good selections. Fill on to a new channel and POP! You're done.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2012, 12:01:55 PM »
Drop that puppy in Photoshop. 600 ppi. Clean edges make good selections. Fill on to a new channel and POP! You're done.

Thought about that as well.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2012, 12:09:43 PM »
Hey thanks Steve I forgot how to do that and I,ve been doing it the hard way in photoshop, very easy just hope when I need to do it again I still remember how LOL.

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline broadway

• !!!
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2012, 12:27:46 PM »
In Illustrator, take your type and create outlines, then click on live paint bucket, then click on the "type", next it will ask you if you want to convert the image to live paint image, click image. Use spot colors and you can have your separations.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2012, 03:45:57 PM »
I dont know what the path finder tool is but it sounds like its similar to smart fill?

In Illy, Pathfinder is a collection of vector tools that cut shapes out of each other, so to speak. Most sign programs have them as well. One of them is union, which is weld, like when you set type with Brush Script and want to connect the letters... I'm pretty Corel has them too, it would make sense. One of my favorites is when you get a vector graphic with a hundred shapes overlapping, use the Merge tool to cut into simpler shapes with no overlaps, and no change visually.

Steve