Author Topic: How do I convert this font to "two" colors?  (Read 5195 times)

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: How do I convert this font to "two" colors?
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2012, 03:56:17 PM »
Oh ok Steve its the shaping tools. Yep Corel has plenty of them.

weld
trim
intersect
simplfy
etc.

The smart fill tool is awesome Corel came out with it several versions ago, with in any segment you use the smart fill tool and it will fill it with an object as long as the area is fully enclosed.
"No man is an island"

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2012, 06:04:13 PM »
In Illustrator, take your type and create outlines, then click on live paint bucket, then click on the "type", next it will ask you if you want to convert the image to live paint image, click image. Use spot colors and you can have your separations.

Hmm.....Been using Illustrator for over a decade and never used the tool.....I guess I need to take a trip to Youtube and figure out what it does.....

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2012, 06:24:14 PM »
Live paint does some pretty cool tricks.  I posted in this section before about some stuff that got solved with live paint (from an Adobe forum user), I posted the suggestion here for closure.  It is definitely interesting.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2012, 08:20:03 AM »
Live Paint is very cool indeed. There's a tut out there that walks you through making a really nice dartboard that uses live paint. There are a ton of Illustrator tuts for free out there that can teach a lot of things you might not bump into on your own. Learning to use the Appearance pallet is also eye opening.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2012, 09:40:36 AM »
I took a look at some tutorials last night and played around a bit......I can not imagine a need for it with the work I do, but nice to know it is there if the need arises.....

Offline IntegrityShirts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2012, 10:22:55 AM »
Hey Gilligan, I'm guessing you have the font, so here's how I would do it: Set the type, "Create Outlines" under the Type menu to convert to vectors. Now, put a rectangle of any color behind the text, select all, and on your Pathfinder pallet, use Divide, then with all still selected, selected, Ungroup. Now take your direct selection tool, the hollow arrow, and select the parts you don't want and throw them away; all done, easy peasy.

Steve

The problem you may be having is that when you Create Outlines, the white is actually empty, fill is None, so there's nothing to grab and color...

An easy way to grab the unfilled paths in this scenario after Dividing paths (I prefer the Merge paths as it combines like colored objects that touch or overlap) and after ungrouping everything is:

Click a black piece, then go to SELECT>SAME>FILL COLOR
That'll give you all your black bits, group those.

Drag select over the entire art, then shift deselect the grouped black and you're left with the empty paths.  Fill all those with white and delete at pieces (middle of the O's and A's) that you don't want white.

You can select an empty path by doing the SELECT>SAME>FILL COLOR at any time as well.  Everything with a fill color of NONE will be selected.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2012, 11:26:21 AM »
I gotta give that a shot, I never could grab the empty path, which is why I came up with my method. I also use the Merge tool quite a bit. Thanks,

Steve

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2012, 11:44:25 AM »
I was almost there.

That is how I was teaching my wife to select all the black bits to make a gutter in that font (after we did the converting the empty to white part).  I did select same as fill then shift click/drag to get rid of everything else, then offset path.

Online 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2012, 11:47:22 AM »
There's so many useful things in Illy to use, but my problem I forget them sometimes because I don't use them that much, any body ever make a note book of shortcuts to help you remember stuff.

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2012, 11:55:10 AM »
A lot of the linux commands I use to build servers are that way.  Don't use them enough to remember.  I keep a notes file on my server that I can refer to when I'm building a new server so I don't have to go and dig up all the exact commands and order they need to be typed in for the more intricate procedures.

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2012, 01:02:38 PM »
There's so many useful things in Illy to use, but my problem I forget them sometimes because I don't use them that much, any body ever make a note book of shortcuts to help you remember stuff.

Darryl

I think there are 8,000+ shortcuts in Illustrator......I think most notebooks end up as very large textbooks.....

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2012, 02:51:24 PM »
I just wish I could get my wife to use keyboard short cuts more.  I'm not sure if she's being stubborn because she doesn't like change or if it's just because I suggested it. ;)

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2012, 04:09:13 PM »
When I try to show my wife a "trick" she's very resistant, then when I do it for her, she says "why didn't you show me this before?"

Steve

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2012, 04:42:52 PM »
The wife is always right so best to keep your mouth shut......lol...

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2012, 07:09:05 PM »
LOL

She is by FAR the Illustrator/Photoshop expert between the two of us... I'm just a keyboard shortcut whore.  But to me you should be using "V", "Z", and "SPACE" pretty much all the time... she NEVER uses those.

Beyond copy and paste (in place) she just goes over and clicks on what she needs.