Author Topic: Print directly to Ghostscript  (Read 1961 times)

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Print directly to Ghostscript
« on: August 07, 2012, 05:06:13 PM »
Successfully setup RedMon to direct a dummy printer/port
to Ghostscript, and eventually to my printers.

Allows printing directly from your graphics program through Ghostscript with no need for GhostView, shortening
the workflow and making GS behave about like a commercial RIP. GhostView was nice because it allowed
one last chance to catch mistakes, and required that print files be produced (and hopefully archived) which
would save your butt in case of the unthinkable. It was an extra step though, and fiddling with the media
settings got annoying.

If anyones interested I'll try and remember how the heck I did it and write it up.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Print directly to Ghostscript
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 06:00:13 PM »
You know that Wayne will be interested, and probably everyone else who "ghosts" will be curious.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Mr Tees!!

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 06:27:26 PM »
...DEFINITELY!!!
Thanks TSB gang!!

...Sean, Mr Tees!!!

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 10:27:44 PM »
Not sure.  Downloaded, unzipped, looked it over and did the install, which was a snap.  The rest of the setup is a bit intriguing, if not downright daunting. 

To be honest, to me, it's just so easy to output a PS channel or Corel color layer to a .ps file and save.  I always output them to the the same simple folder on my C drive (the folder is named simply 'a' for simplicity and to be on the top of the list). 

This allows me to save all the channel or layers in a postscript named file for any later re-printing (although that does not happen much without having to re-edit using the graphic software for a change).

Redmon sounds like it re-directs print straight to the printer (bypassing a file same) and not sure if still allows printer settings changes (I need for dark films from HP9800). 

I think for now, I'm probably good, but thanks.

I might get up more interest with a setup writeup  :D
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 10:32:32 PM by screenxpress »
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers