Author Topic: Putting an M3 in a rear clamp (Antec Legend)  (Read 3913 times)

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Putting an M3 in a rear clamp (Antec Legend)
« on: August 08, 2012, 03:09:16 PM »
I have the little J brackets that you are supposed to use but unless I'm just REALLY dense, they don't fit.

So that leaves me trying to clamp the round bar into the rear clamp... that's less than ideal and WAY to easy to start to squish it!  Not something I want to happen.  But it seems if you don't then the screen will move on you.

Anyone have any ideas?  I'm about to have a boat load of M3's and would like to start using them.

Offline prozyan

Re: Putting an M3 in a rear clamp (Antec Legend)
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 03:13:23 PM »
Hate to say it, but all options I've seen and tried to put M3 frames into a rear clamp just plain suck.

There are adapters, but from my experience, they suck too.  http://www.silkscreeningsupplies.com/product/newmanclampadapters
If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?

Offline Shawn (EIP)

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 03:24:09 PM »
This will fix your issue, Vastex side clamps they clamp into any rear clamping press . I have 2 for my workhorse that I use for m3's. Also great for ganging up names onto one screen. These have been life savers more than a few times.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 03:29:26 PM by endless ink printing »

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 03:27:55 PM »
I have the little J brackets that you are supposed to use but unless I'm just REALLY dense, they don't fit.

So that leaves me trying to clamp the round bar into the rear clamp... that's less than ideal and WAY to easy to start to squish it!  Not something I want to happen.  But it seems if you don't then the screen will move on you.

Anyone have any ideas?  I'm about to have a boat load of M3's and would like to start using them.

I used Newman rollers with an old Hopkins press for thousands of setups. It's kind of a pain but it works.

You have to make sure they are the right adapters, and make sure there is no tape or other gunk interfering with the adapter fitting the round roller. If it's the wrong adapter, it just won't work, period. You'll know when it's right.

Also, make sure the press clamps are clean and the threads are well lubed. You need to crank down on the frame a little more than you do with square bars. Don't get all gorilla handed on it, just snug it down a bit more.

You're other option is look into adding side clamps. (not sure if Antec offers this) It makes using roller frames about 1000x easier, it's faster to set up and registration will hold better. (IMHO)
There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.
John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 03:28:52 PM »
This will fix your issue, Vastex side clamps they clamp into any rear clamping press . I have 2 for my workhorse that I use for m3's.

Bang on.
There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.
John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 03:30:17 PM »
Hate to say it, but all options I've seen and tried to put M3 frames into a rear clamp just plain suck.

There are adapters, but from my experience, they suck too.  http://www.silkscreeningsupplies.com/product/newmanclampadapters

That is what I have... they don't fit.

Looks like I might have to have my buddy fab me up some side clamps.

Offline Shawn (EIP)

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 03:35:00 PM »

That is what I have... they don't fit.

Looks like I might have to have my buddy fab me up some side clamps.

I only paid 120.00 each per head.   

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 03:37:19 PM »
Never was a big fan of the j clamps, then tend to twist a little no matter how much you tighten them.

Did you check with Antec to see if they have a side clamp kit?

If they don't, friend with fab skills or the holder in the pic good route to go.
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2012, 03:45:10 PM »
Never was a big fan of the j clamps, then tend to twist a little no matter how much you tighten them.

Did you check with Antec to see if they have a side clamp kit?

If they don't, friend with fab skills or the holder in the pic good route to go.

Antec does make them, I have spoken with them when I purchased my press about this.

My buddy has practically a full machine shop at his disposal (one of the good things being surrounded by the oil field industry).  I can't imagine it would be hard or expensive to have him knock this out for me.

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2012, 04:11:30 PM »

I have MZX frames (square bars). I use these (MZX ones) and flip screens around in the manual press sometimes. Works perfect!

I have one of the side bar attachements like Shawn referenced. Also is great.

You can also use a rigid piece of angle iron. The angle iron needs to extend over the corner brackets to work. It works in a pinch, but I wouldn't use it for everyday use. I wonder if you are using MZX brackets or are putting them on wrong.

Online 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2012, 05:06:48 PM »
This might sound crazy but I have about five of those frames and I use my back clamps on them, but what I did was cut a piece of angle iron that would fit all the way across the back of the screen and just clamp them down.  I know I,ve printed one and two color jobs with know problem.

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2012, 07:11:16 PM »
Hmm... that might not be a bad solution for the time being... trying to get an auto SOON.

I have the right sized ones, they fit the frame just won't fit in the press.

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2012, 07:59:11 PM »
Did I give you some adapters?  Those ones I gave you fit I thought, didn't we put them on a frame and test it before you left?  I may be thinking of someone else, I remember giving someone a set of them at some point in time.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2012, 08:33:36 PM »
Did I give you some adapters?  Those ones I gave you fit I thought, didn't we put them on a frame and test it before you left?  I may be thinking of someone else, I remember giving someone a set of them at some point in time.

Those are the ones Alan.

They fit the frame just not in the clamp.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2012, 08:39:13 PM »
Antec does make them, I have spoken with them when I purchased my press about this.

They do?  Why the hell don't the advertise this?  I might have been printing on an Antec this whole time.  I was pretty sure they told me they don't offer it when I was looking at the presses years ago....or maybe they said there's no reason for them and I didn't respect that opinion, can't remember now.

Those Vastex side clamps look friggin' serious I'd just get those and be on yer way. 

I have rear clamped bigger M3s with the adapters by lining up four or so of them and, like Jason said, clamping them 'extra snug', not too much.  Worked fine but will damage very delicate meshes on runs over 50 or so.  In this case it damaged some 310/30 but everything damages 310/30 so it's probably fine for normal mesh.  Don't whip the heads up, down or around too quickly though.