Author Topic: Hygrometer suggestion?  (Read 3217 times)

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Hygrometer suggestion?
« on: August 09, 2012, 03:42:08 PM »
I'm finally about to build a screen cabinet/drying box.

I figured it would be good to put one of these puppies in there.

Remote display is obviously preferred and of course CHEAP! :)

What do you guys recommend.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Hygrometer suggestion?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 03:57:46 PM »
screw that, go to walmart and get a $7 one.  I have one that is temp and humidity.  You don't really need one if you have a dehumidifier in there.  It's going to be dry  My cabinet will knock screens down in about 30-45 minutes for a rack of 25.

And there isn't a need for a heater.  The dehumidifier puts the temp in the cabinet up to about 90-95.  Most heaters shut off at 80-85.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 04:26:40 PM »
I have a dehumidifier but I am in South Louisiana... it's like 100% humidity outside every day. ;)

Oh, and I don't shop at Walmart... you know me, I'm a liberal like that. ;)

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 03:38:30 AM »
radio shack has them too i think.  i wouldn't worry about it, humidity here is bad as well, but the dehumidifier will really pull that out.  I have mine on an AC condensation pump that runs up to the drain lines going to the back of the building.  Our darkroom is in the middle of the building...so not easy way other than to drain the bucket and I had no desire to do that.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 11:24:59 AM »
get a dehumidifier!

As Brad said, plumb the outlet and forget about it. Our 305 are dry and ready in about 10 min (have moisture meter to measure them so we know they are ready rather than guessing).

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 11:27:03 AM »

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 11:34:23 AM »
I have a dehumidifier ...

Tada!

DUH! The funny part is, I did read the post, but spaced out and by the time I wrote the follow up forgot what it said. So much for getting good help around here . . .

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 12:28:42 PM »
the best dehumidifiers are the old ones.  none of this energy star crap.  also, I prefer the ones with switches rather than a control panel.  The old ones come back on if the power goes out, most of the new ones have to bu turned back on manually.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 12:37:10 PM »
I agree. I have a modern high tech LG now sitting outside, and an older Kenmore doing duty in the drying cabinet.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012, 12:51:40 PM »
Radio shack has a pretty sweet temp/RH unit with a remote sensor, but it's a bit spendy.  IIRC I paid $40 a few years back.
Kind of senseless considering we vary from 12%-25% RH 360 days of the year or so, but those five days of the year, I'm not out of the loop.   ;D

Might be nice to have a cabinet remote sensor, and have the other part just in the screen room, see if you can store dry screens outside the cab safely, and to keep an eye on temp for emulsion as well.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2012, 01:01:39 PM »
What are the max temps I should keep the emulsion at?

That dehumidifier puts out a fair amount of heat.

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2012, 01:16:41 PM »
We keep our dark room at about 75 degrees and 40% humidity.  We bought a nice litte dehumidifier from Lowes a while back and it stuggles to keep it at 40%.  I think the humidity is more important than temp, and we've had our dark room at 68 degrees to 90 and everything in between without any noticeable difference in dry times.  But 60% humidy versus 45%, huge difference in dry times.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2012, 01:40:13 PM »
buy a used cheapie on CL, old dehumidifiers worked better.  Same thing goes for dishwashers.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2012, 02:31:20 PM »
buy a used cheapie on CL, old dehumidifiers worked better.  Same thing goes for dishwashers.

I'm not so sure about that. My first job was at a retirement home in the kitchen, washing dishes, and the old guy I worked with really slacked off!
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2012, 02:36:57 PM »

I'm not so sure about that. My first job was at a retirement home in the kitchen, washing dishes, and the old guy I worked with really slacked off!

DAMN!  I was gonna make that joke.  Doing it anyway!

Hmm our oldest daughter complained more and more, so we got a new one. ;)