Author Topic: PC said it had "updates for me system" no my stuff is gone.  (Read 2901 times)

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: PC said it had "updates for me system" no my stuff is gone.
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2012, 12:21:17 PM »
gilligan beat me to it.  Dell's stink.  They shove their systems so full of crap it's stupid.  Also, what did you pay for that, $600?  How can you start to compare a $600 system to a $3k system?

A fair fight would be a Lenovo Thinkstation vs. a MAC.  Yeah, there are some great home-builds out there, but the lenovo systems are tested and tested and tested for compatibility...just like a MAC is.  Essentially the cheap PCs are like Ford Fiestas.  They are bare bone systems meant to get you on the road.  But don't look for things like AC, power windows or reliability.

The best thing you can do with your Dell is wipe it clean and start over.  Get all of their software off of there, put a free anti-virus program on there and go.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2012, 12:31:05 PM »
Dan, if you create a file on your desktop does it immediately disappear?

NO.  Visible and accessible.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2012, 12:33:43 PM »
I have the Lenovo Thinkstation.  Yea.  It's not a  Mac.  It's working well outside of this whacked interface.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2012, 12:34:46 PM »
Should I restore as suggested?  If so, should it be "restore user files" or Recover System settings?

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2012, 12:45:02 PM »
Do a system restore and be done with it.

its in the accesories/system tools/ system restore.

Only option you pick is the restore date. Just make sure it is before the updates were applied.

Restore does not touch user files at all. Even if you made new files today you will still have them after the restore.

Restore only effects system files and program files.

"No man is an island"

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2012, 01:05:38 PM »
I did the system restore and it worked. :)  Yippee!   I'm back in action. Thanks gang!  It also said that the Service pack was also installed successfully, however that worked out.

How can you install that successfully, yet go back a day for everything else?  Why didn't it just install it successfully without affecting everything else to begin with?  Sheeesh.  Anyways, all I want ids fir it to work.  It does.

Thanks!!

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2012, 01:25:39 PM »
gilligan beat me to it.  Dell's stink.  They shove their systems so full of crap it's stupid.  Also, what did you pay for that, $600?  How can you start to compare a $600 system to a $3k system?

A fair fight would be a Lenovo Thinkstation vs. a MAC.  Yeah, there are some great home-builds out there, but the lenovo systems are tested and tested and tested for compatibility...just like a MAC is.  Essentially the cheap PCs are like Ford Fiestas.  They are bare bone systems meant to get you on the road.  But don't look for things like AC, power windows or reliability.

The best thing you can do with your Dell is wipe it clean and start over.  Get all of their software off of there, put a free anti-virus program on there and go.

Its been wiped. AV put on as well. It was just for email and simple word stuff and not much more. No more Dells for sure. Motherboard has also been replaced. It's had a charging problem too. She wants to handle it so I have not taken it back yet and implanted it in someones a$$.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2012, 02:12:53 PM »
You do get what you pay for to a degree and they have to cut corners somewhere to make that pc so cheap.

R&d, testing, components.... Somewhere corners were cut.

Offline beanie357

• !!!
  • Patience begets quality
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2012, 02:56:16 PM »
In the Dell line, the upper end models do work better. The lockout sort of sounds virusy to me.
Get the IT guy to come out. Fix it. Dream of shiny red apples.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2012, 04:08:13 PM »
For what it's worth, iMacs are only around 1200 and up, which is all I've ever used, never the 3K ones. Not into the PC/Mac wars especially, but I'm a Mac guy, can't get quite comfortable on a PC, though I can do what I have to on them, shipping and QB, and I can usually solve problems, but they are more demanding of your time when you upgrade, but maybe that's due to the unfamiliarity.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't