Author Topic: PC said it had "updates for me system" no my stuff is gone.  (Read 2988 times)

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
PC said it had "updates for me system" no my stuff is gone.
« on: August 13, 2012, 10:18:19 AM »
PC said it had "updates for my system"   I think oh,  good. Maybe it will have some improvements and make life easier.  NOOOOOO!   now my stuff is gone.

More than likely, it's user error (I'm sure) right?  It's my fault since I am not a PC user expert.

Why is it so flipp'n hard to just re start the computer after installing updates (and keep everything I had before)?
All preferences/settings in Illy and Photoshop get whipped out. , The internet program and preferences (I use) are all gone. websites/links, everything. My desktop links/folders all gone. My menu bar pins, all gone.

PC's  seem to suck at this stuff.  When you update the system on a Mac, you still keep off of your stuff.  Why does it mess with all your settings in your individual programs?  WHY OH WHY?

Does it have some hidden way of popping back in everything the way I had it set up? It can't just delete all my settings, (and saved website link). Where is that stuff?
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: PC said it had "updates for me system" no my stuff is gone.
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 10:22:08 AM »
SYSTEM RESTORE!

In the future you should ask for advice on crap like that here first just in case!

That said usualy the only windows updates that effects user settings is Service Packs and even them I think maintain settings but I could be wrong. What were the updates you executed for exactly?
"No man is an island"

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 10:23:02 AM »
i have never seen that...strange

Offline prozyan

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 10:31:19 AM »
Sounds like somehow you are logging in as a different user.  Only thing I can come up with.
If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 10:52:20 AM »
I'm on Windows 7.   Service pack update.  Imagine if someone bought a PC to use for the first time and had nobody around to help them. They'd be on tech support every day.  Sheesh.

No,  common sense says, you shouldn't have to get advice on how to get back all of your settings (even the settings inside your flippn programs) when you do any kind of an update.  Should be basic stuff.

Click here, up date installs, restart,  go back to work.  Thats about how it should work.  WHY would it not work like that?

Seems everything you want to do in a PC you need some "special thing you need to download" or you need to do steps 1-20 to get it to do something and you need to take some PC building class to work one.  Sheeesh.  I want to run one. I don't want to build one. I don't want to have to take a class to operate one.

I'm not flipp'n stupid. Why would I have to do all this crap (after an install of an update). It never said I needed to do that. It never said. "make sure to do this or that before (or after)  installing"!  Next time I want to move a folder, I'll call one of you guys to see how I can do that.

Friggn'n PC's.   

Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 11:02:03 AM »
PC= Piece of Crap

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 11:05:07 AM »
Don't worry Dan I am right there with you, PCs are getting worse not better.

Did you try a restore?
"No man is an island"

Offline Gabe

• If it`s not alive, I can print it.
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2012, 11:14:00 AM »
YO@Dan that happens to folks who has bad karma towards windows
since i updated to win 7 no problemo here
I agree with Inkman sistem restore is the ticket
Gabe

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2012, 11:21:44 AM »
I have no bad Karma.  All good stuff floating around me.  :)

Do I do a restore all users files  or recover system settings?

Offline Doug B

• !!!
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2012, 11:29:37 AM »
Start-
All programs-
Accessories-
System restore- Restore to any date before the install. It will take a while.
Go have a brew.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2012, 11:40:24 AM »
You possibly have a virus or profile was locked when you logged in causing a duplicate to be created with none of your settings.

Look in the c:/users directory and see if it has "dan" and "dan.0001" or something like that. If something looks fishy then there is a fairly easy fix.

If it's the hide virus then that is kind of tricky and probably needs more "professional" help.

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2012, 11:58:58 AM »
PC= Piece of Crap

Good call Dennis!

I bought my wife a new Dell in Feb. It is getting ready to be sent in for the third time. Now her curser disappears randomly and jumps all over the screen when typing. It has been nothing but a lemon.

I am not saying that Mac is all that, well I am but PC's have turned to crap in the last few years since I made the jump.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2012, 12:08:49 PM »
You possibly have a virus or profile was locked when you logged in causing a duplicate to be created with none of your settings.

Look in the c:/users directory and see if it has "dan" and "dan.0001" or something like that. If something looks fishy then there is a fairly easy fix.

If it's the hide virus then that is kind of tricky and probably needs more "professional" help.

I have 3 users in it but no duplicates.  Mine and my sons is locked.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2012, 12:13:23 PM »
Dan, if you create a file on your desktop does it immediately disappear?

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2012, 12:16:33 PM »
PC= Piece of Crap

Good call Dennis!

I bought my wife a new Dell in Feb. It is getting ready to be sent in for the third time. Now her curser disappears randomly and jumps all over the screen when typing. It has been nothing but a lemon.

I am not saying that Mac is all that, well I am but PC's have turned to crap in the last few years since I made the jump.

You bought a dell... Nuff said.

That's like saying foreign cars suck, I bought this yugo and it was total crap. ;)