Author Topic: Glow in the Dark Inks  (Read 1870 times)

Offline printguy

• !!!
  • Verified/Junior
Glow in the Dark Inks
« on: August 15, 2012, 09:49:33 AM »
Have a customer that's interested - will be going down on a black tee. Can I get some feedback from ya'll?

Offline Zelko-4-EVA

Re: Glow in the Dark Inks
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 10:13:46 AM »
union makes a nice glow in the dark - i forget the product code

there is also a powder sold by Nazdar - SIPI563 LUMINOVA G300M  - works nice with a clear base as a carrier.

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 10:33:33 AM »
I use the powder from Wilflex. Can mix in in numerous bases. Going on black, from my experience, you want to make sure you have a good white under base
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 10:56:14 AM »
I use the powder from Wilflex. Can mix in in numerous bases. Going on black, from my experience, you want to make sure you have a good white under base
Yes. It needs something to shine the captured light off of as the inks are very translucent.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 12:42:08 PM »
We double print the base and usually mix the second base with some Wilflex Black light
as most folks want the GID to have a day time color other than baby snot.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 01:09:48 PM »
We used a clear GID and printed colors under it first. Sim process or spot colors. No issues. So, it would have a color tone all the time and then glow at night. The glow at night of course would be one consistent color.

Note,  It glows BETTER if you use a good coverage. By that, I mean (a good layer of glow ink).  Not just hitting it thin on a 300 mesh, ...but you could. Use a medium mesh but coat it well, to you have good walls of the stencil image.  While the hand will feel goopy, (like a thick layer of CLEAR GEL) the quality of GLOW will be enhanced and stay glowing longer.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 01:33:09 PM »
We mix in our glow in the dark ink to some white, and it prints white, but glows in the dark. Looks way better than that clearish green color it prints on. especially on black tees.
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline printguy

• !!!
  • Verified/Junior
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 01:59:39 PM »
What about fluorescent ink and how does that differ from GID?

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 06:15:36 PM »
I have one recommendation on GID ink. Explain it to your customer. I almost lost thousands because my clients customer thought they would glow all night long right out of the box. Most glow only lasts 5 to 10 mins depending on the thickness of the ink. Make sure they know that. There is some out there that can last 30 mins to 45 mins but they cost about 5 times more.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 07:19:13 PM by Screened Gear »

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2012, 07:29:29 PM »
What about fluorescent ink and how does that differ from GID?

Fluorescent inks reflect light, while the GID store a little energy and shine on their own (for a while).

They really kick it in blacklight as well!
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?