Author Topic: MAC questions  (Read 8062 times)

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
MAC questions
« on: August 17, 2012, 11:48:11 AM »
Came into work yesterday morning and found my main PC was rebooted after a critical error and blue screen. Hmmmm I think hardware issue or heat. Start working on some stuff and the PC blue screens. Reboot blue screen. Only error i can see is something about memory capacity and dll issues. Finally get in to safe mode and run malbyte, bang it states I have a rootkit called alure. WTF! this some how happened over night while at home I run anti spyware in the back ground and windows fire wall and on a router so how the hell did something like that get through?

Any ways I tried to get the crap out and save my self from reformatting the PC no luck. It was seriously embedded tons of registries renamed dll's etc.

My point is I am tired of this crap totally, me and the boss discussed getting me an Imac or tower. My issue is all my equipment requires windows. I know Mac has something called Parallels for windws I want to know how practical it is especially since I will have to go back and forth from MAC to windows quite often.
"No man is an island"

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: MAC questions
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 11:53:07 AM »
There are two ways to do it if I'm understanding correctly.

Bootcamp (probably your better/more compatible option), where you have basically a dual boot system.

Then Parallels (if I'm understanding it correctly because I have honestly not used it personally), this is basically a "Virtual pc".  It runs as an application launching windows as such.  I run VBox on a linux server for a special application that I believe I have already talked to you about Mike.  This isn't much different than any other Virtual PC environment I don't think.

Only problem I can see with parallels is that it uses virtual hooks into hardware... it has no actual network card or com port.  It ties into the real comports and network cards and such through virtual devices that talk to the main OS (in this case X) running.  I'm not sure every item would like that... especially the more stubborn USB, serial or parallel devices (assuming you have them).  Dongles for example, MIGHT be a problem.

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 12:27:24 PM »

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 12:35:13 PM »
Kevin you nailed my concerns right on the head. I have three dongles and a slew of USB printers. Fortunately no serials. I think if worse came to worse I can always have a small crappy PC buried under the desk for sending to my equipment, still would rather avoid that.

"No man is an island"

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 12:36:58 PM »
http://store.vmware.com/store/vmware/pd/productID.165310200/Currency.USD/?src=PaidSearch_Google_eBiz_Fusion_US_Brand&resid=UCpPfwoBAlkAAAiYgrsAAABn&rests=1345220755209

Much, much better that Parallels. I have it at work and it is breeze to switch back and fort.

I'd suggest "switching" is not the best term for Virtual Machines.

They are run as a window.  It's more akin to switching between Photoshop and Illustrator in the "switching".  Granted, I used the term switching right there, it's just when talking about OS's in the per-virtualization days it would be a lot more trouble than clicking on an icon on your "smart bar" or whatever that bar is called on Mac... I just thought I'd clear it up that you don't ever really get out of X, you just run it like a "remote control" window almost.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 12:38:12 PM »
Kevin you nailed my concerns right on the head. I have three dongles and a slew of USB printers. Fortunately no serials. I think if worse came to worse I can always have a small crappy PC buried under the desk for sending to my equipment, still would rather avoid that.

Printers (assuming basic printers) should work.  Will Accurip or something like that work?  Not sure, very suspect actually.

Dongles... that's probably a bigger issue because of the "security" issues that they are already dealing with.  For that you probably need to contact the manufactures to see if they have tested them in a virtual environment.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 01:34:41 PM »
I have Fusion on my Mac, though I haven't used it in months... it worked well when I used it though.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 01:37:33 PM »

Printers (assuming basic printers) should work.  Will Accurip or something like that work?  Not sure, very suspect actually.

Dongles... that's probably a bigger issue because of the "security" issues that they are already dealing with.  For that you probably need to contact the manufactures to see if they have tested them in a virtual environment.

Ugh thats what I was afraid of.

Printers consist of
Graphtec Plotter which i believe has a mac rip already
Laser Printer, no mac support
Film Maker for an epson
and a Brother GT54 garment printer

I would prefer using a virtual windows versus dual booting that would be to time consuming. If this whole Mac idea is not viable what is a good solution in PC's IBM maybe? I want as hassle free as humanely possible after so many years of dealing with PC's I need a break.
"No man is an island"

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 02:00:59 PM »
I use Fusion on my MacBook, running Windows XP. The only things I use it for is Ghostscript/Ghostview, the Union Ink Mixopake program and the one for mixing Matsui inks.
I usually open the Windows screen on another monitor, then drag files across from my Mac.
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2012, 02:23:17 PM »
I usually open the Windows screen on another monitor, then drag files across from my Mac.

That's pretty slick.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2012, 02:27:35 PM »

Printers consist of
Film Maker for an epson

I would prefer using a virtual windows versus dual booting that would be to time consuming. If this whole Mac idea is not viable what is a good solution in PC's IBM maybe? I want as hassle free as humanely possible after so many years of dealing with PC's I need a break.

Mike, that is a tall order... but I could be mistaken in concerning you of it not working... definitely don't take my word for it.

If you decide not to go Mac then I guess prebuilt there is obviously a lot of love for the think stations.  I have no real opinion on anything "out of the box" for desktops.

If you do keep with windows, I'd suggest Eset Nod32 for antivirus and regularly scanning with Malwarebytes.  I personally run neither, I go "commando", but I can stand to be down if that .00001% rears its head and I get a virus.  Been years though.

I recommend running MBAM about once a week or anytime something isn't acting right.  Some viruses get in and lay dormant for a while, that may have been what happened to your computer.  A regular scanning should flush those out.  Hell, there is nothing wrong with running that sucker everyday on your way out the door really.

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2012, 02:41:05 PM »
Good advice Kevin but its not actually the virus malware that is my main concern. I am more in search of a powerful but completely stable system. I could build something but thats not always a garauntee either. I hear a lot about IBM's, personally I would not care if the rig couldnt run videos or show pictures just be a work only machine.
"No man is an island"

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2012, 02:58:07 PM »
You could always look at hackintosh hardware... that is "somewhat" proven.  Just build that and install windows 7 on it.

I would imagine with the right research you should be able to build something rock solid.  If you don't believe me just wait, Brandt will chime in.   (Just razing you Brandt! ;)  )

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2012, 03:34:12 PM »

Printers consist of
Film Maker for an epson

Graphtec has drivers for Mac, not sure about the laser printer, no info there, I know AccuRIP comes for either PC or Mac on the same disc, maybe you can get an upgrade from Film Maker, and the Brother could have files sent over the network, same as a flash drive really. You'll need to do some homework, maybe at Fusion's forum. Good luck.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline StuJohnston

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2012, 05:56:49 PM »
I use vmware fusion because my RIP is windows only and I don't want to spend the money to get the OSX version. I have been using the same laptop for the last three years and I haven't had any problems with it.

One of the great things about running windows in a VM is that you can create save states that you can go back to in case things go pear shaped on you. That and it is nicely quarantined from your main operating system. It doesn't hurt that I have mine isolated from the network (no internet) and that I only have exactly what I need on it.

Personally, the Imac would be the best choice. The Pro (tower) line hasn't been updated for a long while, iirc. Though the next time I am looking to upgrade, I will probably go with another MBP. I plug mine into a 24" monitor when I am at home and it works just like a tower does in a way.

Regarding dongles, My rip uses a usb one and I haven't had any issues. The windows only printer likely has a gutenberg driver for it, not official, but it should be fine.

I am pretty confident that anything you run now can be run through the VM. I have a graphtec as well and use it with OSX without issue.

Just had a brainwave. If you do end up digging out the old pc to run software that the Mac won't, as long as you keep it away from the internet you shouldn't have any malware problems.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 06:03:37 PM by StuJohnston »