Author Topic: Photos of DTG print result  (Read 2929 times)

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
Photos of DTG print result
« on: August 24, 2012, 05:56:38 PM »
These are NeoFlex DTG printer samples. (Photos of)  from http://www.Screenprintsupply.com
Looks pretty vibrant and pretty accurate to the detail and color (from what I can see).  I'm told it would be $1.70 in ink cost for the Biker.  Approx. 7 min to complete from beginning to end.

Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
Re: Photos of DTG print result
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 06:04:45 PM »
I think the "ink costs" that the manu's claim are slightly unrealistic.  I've done a lot of research, much of it over a year ago, and talked to owners of DTG over the years, and every one of them have complained of much higher ink costs than expected. 
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 06:07:49 PM »
I was going to say the same thing. My understanding is just the white underbase  and highlight can cost close to $2 though granted, that particular design has only about 50% coverage. Then there is also the required pre-treatment, I don't know what that costs.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 07:10:52 PM »
The ink cost is nothing when you compare it to the cost of labor. That's where the real bucks is being spent, pretreatment time, very very long print times on dark cure times for both pretreatment and print. What that adds up to is a couple decent shirts a half hour if you are lucky.

And yes the manus will blow smoke up your arse when it comes to ink costs and most definetely when it comes to printing times.
"No man is an island"

Offline islandtees

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 07:55:13 PM »
The ink cost is nothing when you compare it to the cost of labor. That's where the real bucks is being spent, pretreatment time, very very long print times on dark cure times for both pretreatment and print. What that adds up to is a couple decent shirts a half hour if you are lucky.

And yes the manus will blow smoke up your arse when it comes to ink costs and most definetely when it comes to printing times.
Your way off here. We run a M&R 12 color auto and do most work from it. We also have a Brother GT782.  We run small orders of dark shirts with many colors that is not worth tying up the auto. The Brother has duel plattens, cures the ink in 35 seconds. We can do about 30-40 dark shirts a hour, so 4 an hour is not even close. Ink costs depends on design but we use Brother white ink in bulk. We use a Viper pretreat machine for speed. We make a very good profit on our digital darks.

Offline Socalfmf

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way!
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 09:16:19 PM »
looks good but what is the washablity?  also the ROI is high on these machines...

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 09:36:43 PM »
Washability is just fine if they are properly cured.
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline SkylinePrints

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2012, 10:27:17 AM »
The NeoFlex machines probably have the sharpest images of any DTG I've seen lately.  Unless they have changed, it runs the Epson 4880 series of print heads.  The important thing is the maintenance especially in the 4880 series.  The white ink primarily will clog easily.  I'm personally not a big fan of the 4880 series ink heads for DTG since the clog easily but do the proper maintenance and you should be good. 

Two things I do like on this machine are you can load 3 shirts at once with each having its own design and I also find it interesting that it changes over to a solvent printer.  It's an intriguing setup to be sure.

Time is a big cost driver as Inkman stated.  Pretreat the shirt (no estimate on time here), heat press the shirt for 30 seconds, print the shirt 3-7 minutes, heat press the shirt again 30 seconds, time in-between to move around and between machines, you will easily have 10 minutes probably more in 1 shirt.  This of course assumes printing a dark shirt. The numbers are completely different on white or light color shirts. 

It the total time to produce that needs to be understood not just the printing process.  Understand this and you can base your pricing properly.

Comparing this machine to a Brother 782 is not a fair comparison.  Totally different and much bigger print head on the Brother designed from the ground up for DTG plus the dual platens.  Not to mention totally different price range for the machines.
Have a great day! :)
 Nathan Harrison Skyline Prints Embroidery & Screen Printing 4982 Bill Gardner Pkwy  Locust Grove, GA 30248  (770) 914-1558  www.SkylinePrints.com  Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/skylineprints or Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/skylineprints

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2012, 11:41:26 AM »
My statement co ferns the typical single platen epson converted dark printing machine.

The brother is unique but with a huge price tag. Another thing to consider is the much much higher Ink cost compared to the duponts. And one other thing which I am all to familiar with since we just replaced a print head is the extremely high cost for a new print head.

Forget the brother for now and consider the others. I have seen print times as high as ten minutes per shirt, and cure times two minutes or more, some of recommend curing twice.

My reason for replying to this thread was to point out the sales men will fudge numbers as they see fit to convince you other wise. We did plenty of research in to all these machines and found real world experiences never ever matched what the Manu told you. The closest we came to realistic numbers was with brother so that's the one we bought.
"No man is an island"

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2012, 04:46:26 PM »
We actually have a NeoFlex, quite happy with it also. A HUGE selling feature of thedebut NeoFlex for us was the fact that you can load 3 items. When one is done you can take it off set another one up and place it back on the board. We also run a dual head air driven heat transfer machine, and a Viper pretreat machine. If you setup the timing just right you can run a pretty nice production line!
I could of never justified a single platen DTG. Also a pretreat machine makes a large difference.
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2012, 05:21:46 PM »
We actually have a NeoFlex, quite happy with it also. A HUGE selling feature of thedebut NeoFlex for us was the fact that you can load 3 items. When one is done you can take it off set another one up and place it back on the board. We also run a dual head air driven heat transfer machine, and a Viper pretreat machine. If you setup the timing just right you can run a pretty nice production line!
I could of never justified a single platen DTG. Also a pretreat machine makes a large difference.

What about your actual ink costs on a full sized design, 12" x 12", 10" x 14"  or so?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 07:06:16 PM by Frog »
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline beanie357

• !!!
  • Patience begets quality
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2012, 05:34:30 PM »
We have under 50 cents for cmyk.
White could add two to ten bucks on lots of coverage.
We have a neo and went dual cmyk. Love it now. Also problem free.
We use pretreat on lights and color is great.
We also screen print, and darks go that way.
Prints are killer with good art.
Both screen and neo have a place.