Author Topic: m3 frames  (Read 1746 times)

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
m3 frames
« on: August 25, 2012, 12:59:53 PM »
i'm still learning about doing these newman frames properly.

After you guys build a frame, do the initial tensioning, what is the proper steps to do after words?

I'm letting it sit on my roller table for about 5 mins, then i tighten the bolts, then i've been waiting about 8-10 hours, to do a second tensioning. At this point, do i unlock the bolts, and re-tighten?
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline Socalfmf

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way!
Re: m3 frames
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 01:13:56 PM »
hey man...here is what we do...we put them on the rollermaster and let them sit for about 4 hrs...they are worked hardened at that point and we only lose about 1-2 newtons after we print 2-3 jobs....we also check them after each reclaim....we want them all within 2 newtons at all times....

just something to think about...contstant tension we have found works best...

sam

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 01:17:09 PM »
I'll give it a shot today!
Night Owls

Offline inkbrigade

m3 frames
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 02:59:56 PM »
Hey Sam,
So are you constantly building frames? I have about 25 frames to do. I cant imagine them letting them sit on the rollemaster for that long.
I guess I can set it up as a never ending process.
-------------------------------
Wish List / Let me know if your selling any of the following:  Newman (Stretch Devices) Orange Screen Racks and Press Carts
Saturn Screen Racks / Press Cart

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 03:04:27 PM »
I'm in the same boat! I've got 16 I need to build this weekend!
Night Owls

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2012, 05:08:17 PM »
I've tried a bunch of different techniques like letting them sit on the table for a while, and many other things, but I've never had one turn out to be work hardened without at least 3-4 times through production and retentioning after each round.  You can leave them on the table as long as you want I guess, but when I'm making screens, I don't have that luxury and I bring one up to about 5 newtons over the manu's recommended highest level and then tighten the rollers, let it sit for 5 minutes, then take it back up to the first tension level, tighten everything and then put it in production.  I've let them sit around with the wrenches on and under pressure overnight without any noticeable difference in them becoming work hardened any faster, Sam is lucky.  Some mesh relaxes more than others, mesh count and brands differ quite a bit in how much tension they lose between tensioning and how fast they stabilize, well, that's been my experience, others have obviously gotten different and better results.

When I have more time, I'll post about some of the brands that I've had better luck with elongation. 
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline Socalfmf

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way!
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 10:17:16 AM »
no..this is the way we do it now...we have about 130 in rotation...when we started building them, we did like Alan...we go them up to tension, tighten, used then retension.....but now we only have them #1. if one breaks...(which is not very often) or like now we bought 20 used M3's and it will take us about a week or two to get them into production....we are not in  huge rush since we have a good amount anyways...

hope that helps a little..

sam