Author Topic: Who has a heat press?  (Read 5797 times)

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Who has a heat press?
« on: August 28, 2012, 06:40:19 PM »
It always surprises me when I get an order for names and numbers on shirts printed somewhere else.....As this seems to happen often, I wonder how many screen printers here do not have heat presses?.....Seems to be a necessity for folks in this line of work....Am I wrong?

PS....I am not talking about shirts shipped in from "Mothercorp" and personalized locally...I am talking about shirts printed at local shops that do not do names and numbers....

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
Re: Who has a heat press?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 06:44:37 PM »
We have one that we use primarily for sublimation but names and numbers via screen printed transfers are done as well on it.  Geo Night DK20S I think is the model, 16x20.  It's a decent unit but I think there are better options out there for sure.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 06:48:18 PM »
Some just don't want to deal with "personalization" and the inherent small runs and/or handling of single pieces associated with them.

Then again, the reverse is true as well.  There are heat pressers who don't screen print.

oh and btw, I have six, with at least three in use regularly, the most handy and uncommon, a 6x8 "label" press from George Knight.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline prozyan

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 06:56:49 PM »
I've always felt a vinyl cutter and a heat press go hand-in-hand with the screen business.  I wouldn't be caught without one, personally.
If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 06:59:25 PM »
Yeah we send all that to the guy who likes the team work.  That's the mentality Frog- we don't offer numbers.  We do offer names though, side clamp presses make that easy and good money and they get to pick any font they want. 

I could do a lot of good stuff for our retail line with a vinyl cutter though aside from just plotting out names/numbers for Ts though. 

Online ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 07:22:30 PM »
4 here. Probably a necessity but personally I hate anything we do with them.
It's hard to go from 700/hr to like 120 or so. You almost can't charge enough.

We have a vinyl plotter too and a bunch of Thermoflex or whatever but I really
really have to be coddled to break that out. Used to do a bunch, but now I tell them
to call Andy.

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 07:41:51 PM »
we do foil almost weekly so we have to have one. as much as I dislike the model we have, one of those 2 platen swing type jams would be kinda cool.
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline stitches4815

• !!!
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 07:47:33 PM »
We got one and a vinyl cutter.  We use it a lot for names and numbers along with doing one or two shirts with a logo or some goofy saying done in vinyl for customers. 

Offline Socalfmf

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way!
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2012, 08:06:22 PM »
we have two and now three plotters to cut names or numbers

sam

Offline Orion

• !!!
  • Ain't no shortcuts in screen printing.
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2012, 08:14:39 PM »
We have one for hats with two sizes of platens, one for t's and other things with four sizes of platens and then we have the huge Geo Knight Maxi Press 40X60 twin shuttle for our AOP sublimation. For the past two and a half decades, every shop I have worked with had at least one heat press. My first job as a rookie screen printer was 300, 3 color, hat transfers. I printed and pressed them all.
Dale Hoyal

Online ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2012, 08:39:26 PM »
If yer serious about it, air powered shuttle type are the best, preferably with two platens.

Offline sweetts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication DUH
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2012, 08:52:05 PM »
We have two now.
RT Screen Designs
Willowick Ohio
www.rtscreendesigns.com

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2012, 09:52:25 PM »

Hotronix Auto 16x16 (first thing we got w/ a Graphtec).
Then a buddy told me about a small 9x12 swing away hix at a pawn shop I picked up for $100 bucks.

Then I picked up a hat press on t-shirtforums for a couple.

There is another 15x15 clam style at the pawn shop for fairly cheap (practically new).  I know the owners of the pawn shop.  Soon as I get same extra cash hanging around if it's still there (I'm sure it will be), I'll go see what they will let me have it for.  Might trade an old PS2 that is collecting dust to them and some cash thrown in.

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2012, 09:57:31 PM »
I have a dk20 swing away. I think when I get more room I will get the shuttle attachment and stand.

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2012, 10:01:51 PM »
I've always felt a vinyl cutter and a heat press go hand-in-hand with the screen business.  I wouldn't be caught without one, personally.

Ditto
Wishin' I was Fishin'