Author Topic: phthalate free wet on wet inks but not QCM  (Read 1397 times)

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
phthalate free wet on wet inks but not QCM
« on: September 01, 2012, 03:06:03 AM »
What other good phthalate free wet on wet inks are out there apart from QCM? Is there anything under the Rutland brand name available? How about Union Ink any wetnon wet that are phthalate free and print well?

Offline jasonl

• !!!
Re: phthalate free wet on wet inks but not QCM
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 09:16:51 AM »
What other good phthalate free wet on wet inks are out there apart from QCM? Is there anything under the Rutland brand name available? How about Union Ink any wetnon wet that are phthalate free and print well?

WILFLEX!
"We Make Blank Shirts Look Awesome!"

Offline pwalsh

• !!!
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 10:04:40 AM »

Rockers:  I’m not sure of the availability of different inks in Japan but I would recommend either Rutland Claira, or the Wilflex Epic Series inks.  Both ink series provide high performance wet-on-wet screen-printing performance on automatic presses.  If you do decide on Wilflex products, I would strongly recommend the Wilflex Epic Equalizer color formulation system. 

The Epic Equalizer System utilizes balanced pigment concentrates, and PC based color formulation software, that can be used with a number of standard and specialty mixing bases. In my opinion the Epic Equalizer Color Formulation system provides a great solution for screen-printers who are looking for great on press performance, versatility, and effective inventory management. 
Peter G. Walsh - Executive Vice President
The M&R Companies - Roselle, IL USA
Email:  peter.walsh@mrprint.com
Office 847-410-3445 / Cell 913-579-6662

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 10:20:46 AM »

Rockers:  I’m not sure of the availability of different inks in Japan but I would recommend either Rutland Claira, or the Wilflex Epic Series inks.  Both ink series provide high performance wet-on-wet screen-printing performance on automatic presses.  If you do decide on Wilflex products, I would strongly recommend the Wilflex Epic Equalizer color formulation system. 

The Epic Equalizer System utilizes balanced pigment concentrates, and PC based color formulation software, that can be used with a number of standard and specialty mixing bases. In my opinion the Epic Equalizer Color Formulation system provides a great solution for screen-printers who are looking for great on press performance, versatility, and effective inventory management.
So generally all I will need are the base from Wilflex and the pigments. I assume Rutland does not offer a similar system? But generally both are good alternatives to QCM wow inks, or maybe even better?

Offline pwalsh

• !!!
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 10:36:35 AM »

So generally all I will need are the base from Wilflex and the pigments. I assume Rutland does not offer a similar system? But generally both are good alternatives to QCM wow inks, or maybe even better?

Rockers:  Rutland does have a similar balanced pigment concentrate and base system which is their (C3) Color Booster Mixing System. 

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012, 10:50:30 AM »
Peter, that is probably a great choice for Rockers, but the deal breaker for me is the general availability only in gallons. A gallon can be a lot of ink in some colors for a small shop, but gallons of pigment, can be a HELLUVA lot! And at $135 each gallon for twelve or so necessary colors, quite an expense as well.
Twenty years or so ago, I had pints or cups of PC from Wilflex. That worked for me.
They probably still have something like that as a starter kit, but then, it's a huge leap. Then again, it's a matter of finding suppliers who have it in stock.
I've had a devil of a time with my Union Mixo  lately, probably partly due to the newer formulation, but finding stock is an ongoing problem in this industry.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline pwalsh

• !!!
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2012, 11:33:05 AM »
Peter, that is probably a great choice for Rockers, but the deal breaker for me is the general availability only in gallons. A gallon can be a lot of ink in some colors for a small shop, but gallons of pigment, can be a HELLUVA lot! And at $135 each gallon for twelve or so necessary colors, quite an expense as well.
Twenty years or so ago, I had pints or cups of PC from Wilflex. That worked for me.
They probably still have something like that as a starter kit, but then, it's a huge leap. Then again, it's a matter of finding suppliers who have it in stock.
I've had a devil of a time with my Union Mixo  lately, probably partly due to the newer formulation, but finding stock is an ongoing problem in this industry.

Andy:  You are dead right that it's a burden for most medium to smaller volume screen-printers to inventory gallons of the complete Wilflex Equalizer mixing system primaries.  With that said, there is a balance between the additional cost buying the Equalizer PC’s in quarts versus gallon UM’s.  In a perfect world I’d recommend a printer to purchase the colors with the higher volume usage (White, Yellow, Black, Orange, Marine & Blue) in gallons to get the best pricing, and drop back to quarts for the less used colorants (Violet, Green, Maroon, Magenta or Fluorescents)

Now here’s the kicker, I just checked our Nazdar SourceOne inventory and we don’t appear to have many of the slower moving colorants in stock in Quarts (Clearly Homer Simpson moment, Doh!….)  I will follow-up with Mr. Rob Coleman, our SourceOne Textile Inks Market Segment Manager next week and get him looking at matching our Color System offerings to provide the best combination of value and service to our screen print customers.  Thanks for shining the spotlight on this opportunity for SourceOne to improve our service, and I hope that you and all TSB members have a great Labor Day Holiday long weekend.   

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2012, 12:44:20 PM »

Andy:  You are dead right that it's a burden for most medium to smaller volume screen-printers to inventory gallons of the complete Wilflex Equalizer mixing system primaries.  With that said, there is a balance between the additional cost buying the Equalizer PC’s in quarts versus gallon UM’s.  In a perfect world I’d recommend a printer to purchase the colors with the higher volume usage (White, Yellow, Black, Orange, Marine & Blue) in gallons to get the best pricing, and drop back to quarts for the less used colorants (Violet, Green, Maroon, Magenta or Fluorescents)

Now here’s the kicker, I just checked our Nazdar SourceOne inventory and we don’t appear to have many of the slower moving colorants in stock in Quarts (Clearly Homer Simpson moment, Doh!….)  I will follow-up with Mr. Rob Coleman, our SourceOne Textile Inks Market Segment Manager next week and get him looking at matching our Color System offerings to provide the best combination of value and service to our screen print customers.  Thanks for shining the spotlight on this opportunity for SourceOne to improve our service, and I hope that you and all TSB members have a great Labor Day Holiday long weekend.   

Gotta like that attention to detail and customer concern!  8)
Wishin' I was Fishin'