Author Topic: Time to upgrade  (Read 7510 times)

Offline aauusa

Re: Time to upgrade
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2012, 04:22:39 PM »
I love 7 and was on XP till i upgraded.   If you would like i can email you the specs on all of the parts I purchased and built my own as there was no one machine out there with what I was wanting.

as for the rip I did have to upgrade it to accurip.  I was on fastrip 8 but never could get it to work, and now I love accurip

I did however go with a 64 bit 7.  so I did upgrade to corel x6 (64bit) illustrator 64bit and several others programs as well.  I think between the new pc and the additional upgrades in software, additional raid drives and 2 new 24" monitors all in all about 2500.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 04:26:14 PM by aauusa »

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2012, 04:26:52 PM »
Maybe I'll get 7 for my art and still use XP for seps, I know I,m going to upgrade the office computer for billing and invoice stuff to 7, I just don't need the headache when I need seps done.

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2012, 05:10:32 PM »
Dude, Vista is garbage.

There are two types of Vista users, those that hate it and then there are those that don't know they hate it yet.  I feel for those in the latter column, there is MUCH greener pastures in 7 that they are missing out on.

Well if it was crashing, errors, slow, or unresponsive I would certainly have moved on already.  We have it on 3 computers here, not a single issue.  Maybe I am lucky.  :D

Again, credibility is shot.  We are done with this conversation.

Ya it's just luck, not the awesome hardware  :o
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2012, 05:24:46 PM »
[sarcasm] No way... you had something more to say?  I can't believe it! [/sarcasm]

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2012, 05:32:20 PM »
[sarcasm] No way... you had something more to say?  I can't believe it! [/sarcasm]

Same right back to you.

I am actually replying just to drive you nuts.  <LOL> LMAO </LOL>
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline jason-23

• FONTNINJA
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2012, 06:34:51 PM »
7 is great.  I like it. 

I would talk to Pierre, he will save you some coin on a new one.  there isn't a good epson 3000 driver, but a rip will work around that anyway.  Our 3000 is hooked up to the server running server 2003.  so there isn't any problem.  the usb dongle wouldn't work on 7 for some reason.
7 does not reconize a dongle.... I have been around the block on that one. Using a KVR switch and still have the XP up to print through FastRip 8. an upgrade from cadlink $195.... and I do like Win 7
mine is working just fine, maybe its the rip? im using quickfilms rip.

Offline Itsa Little CrOoked

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2012, 09:49:23 PM »
Font Management in Windows 7 sucks donkey knob.

Seriously so effing mad with Microshaft right now.

Thousands of posts on the internets with the same problem, and the
MS Dweebz are shooting in the dark, suggesting reinstalling the system, etc.

I was unaware of the font issue. But I'm MAD TOO. I upgraded my wifes terminal to 7 Ultimate 64 bit. I can say without hesitation, search sucks. To search the network shared folder which is only about 185 Gigabytes takes FOREVER. And there is no easy solution. VoidTool's Search Everything is lightening fast only on a locak machine, but does have a network workaround. I just can't figure it out.

Why microsoft would implement such a poor native search engine is beyond me. No one has multiple-terabytes of data on local machines.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2012, 12:46:38 AM »
Hmm, I store all my stuff on a linux server and for that I just do `locate -i <keyword>`  If I want to search more key words I just filter the results through `grep -i`

It's pretty much instant since my server updates the databse every night or I can run a quick index `updatedb` that takes less than a minute.

But that is kind of technical... but it's stupid fast (literally instant).

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2012, 08:28:19 AM »
Gilligan, I'm ready to tear my hair out on this, and coincidentally, I'm ready to upgrade my server too. If you have a solution for a VERY poorly self-educated system administrator, I am all ears.

In the interest of clarity, my only issue with SEARCH is with Windows 7 (Ultimate 64 bit if that matters) searching the network shares. Our XP terminals get along fine.

I have finally got the girls up front trained to give their filenames some UNIQUE identifiers, and now....they can't find them on the Win7 machines. I can't imagine what the Windows 7 developers were thinking, each OS seems to be progressively poorer with SEARCH usefulness. Perhaps I am just thinking wrong. I am no egghead, even though that job falls to me.

I do kinda like Windows $even... I guess. But XP has been so easy for us, if Micro$oft would just keep supporting it, I'd stay there. I understand that Micro$oft has got to feed the beast, and that means $elling more $oftware.... to ME!! I just like to resist until I have little or no choice.

Gilly, Do you interface Windows terminals with your Linux server? If so, will that work for me, knowing ZERO about Linux?

Thanks,
Stan

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2012, 12:26:02 PM »
Basically for the rest of the team the linux server is a giant file server (we mount the shares as mapped drives... so the main Raid is R: on windows).  You can write a simple batch script for those stubborn XP machines that don't seem to want to reconnect every boot (I do this for all my clients that I set up like this as default just because I don't want to hear about them not being able to see the "S drive" (S for "share" ;) ).

Now... the searching that I do is a LOT more cryptic and nerdy than that.  My whole server has no GUI interface, it runs straight command line (think DOS, but WAY more powerful).  I run a little windows app called PuTTY that connects to the server and gives me a command line on my desktop.

In my world, I technically run my IRC (internet chat) and my instant messengers (they actually run inside my IRC via Bitlbee) and then I also have a torrent client running on there (I can even manage that via my phone), web server (personal stuff), I run some virtual windows machines for certain applications (QB, my digitizing software... various things that I can't install everywhere but might need access everywhere, then I just run RDP to connect to them at anytime on any computer).

My server at home also serves as a repository for a couple of backups... I have some clients that servers push their backups onto my server daily as an offsite backup w/ permanent monthly backups that I archive onto dvd for them when I get enough for a full dvd.

It does take a little nerding out to really harness the full power available but it is pretty impressive.  And if you aren't doing any virtualization then the whole thing can run on some rather light weight hardware because there is no BLOATED GUI based OS running it.  Basically the interface takes ZERO resources so that all your resources are dedicated to any task you give the machine.  With most of my clients that is strictly the SAMBA process, file access and network.  Pretty lightweight stuff.

Let me know if you are still interested and I can work you through it all.

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2012, 02:59:01 PM »
<snip>Pretty lightweight stuff.<snip> Uh Huh. Very lightweight.

Choke, gasp.

Something's hanging off of my chin, just reading how "lightweight" your reply was.

Somebody drop you on your head? You should be a network administrator for somebody's business.

Oh, Wait...... You are!

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2012, 08:11:50 PM »
Actually what I meant by lightweight was the server load by the clients, not my post. :)

Though once you dance around with it a little, you may never go back to a stupid GUI for doing some basic stuff... WAY to fast in CLI. :)

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2012, 08:44:19 PM »
10 seconds before I saw your last reply, I told my wife who is struggling with seven on het new terminal, I've about had it with Microsoft....and automatic updates. I wonder if Apple is any better. Then there is always the software issues.....

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2012, 10:25:25 PM »
If you don't like updates I'm not sure apple is the answer. apple tries to update more on windows than windows does. ;)

Linux has a lot of updates as well, but it is amazing at how it updates every bit, even the basic applications can be easily updated.

Offline inkbrigade

Time to upgrade
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2012, 12:30:28 AM »
I love Linux and we use it for our fileserver as well. With that said though, I don't think Linux is for the faint of heart.

Definitely not something just change your fileserver over to if you have no experience with it already.

-------------------------------
Wish List / Let me know if your selling any of the following:  Newman (Stretch Devices) Orange Screen Racks and Press Carts
Saturn Screen Racks / Press Cart