Author Topic: Wilflex really!  (Read 1818 times)

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Wilflex really!
« on: September 21, 2012, 11:22:03 AM »
Just got in one gallon of dark grey from Wilflex, customer specifically ordered the dark grey based off wilflex's color card. On the card it appears to be a 70% to 80% grey. Open the gallon and it is maybe 50% to 60% grey. Naturally I have to mix a whole freaking gallon of ink to get the correct grey. This ink is for a Cross Fit group that was part of some recent championship so color was critical ugh.
"No man is an island"

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
Re: Wilflex really!
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 11:52:27 AM »
I'm guessing you used one of the newer, offset printed cards? 

My rep was kind enough to give me a precious copy of an older screen printed one.  Why they would make color cards for screen printing ink that are anything but screen printed is beyond me.

That said, I never buy greys, just mix with base, quick white, matte black. 

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 12:01:20 PM »

My rep was kind enough to give me a precious copy of an older screen printed one.  Why they would make color cards for screen printing ink that are anything but screen printed is beyond me.

Many grays are more complex than just black and white (in fact even some blacks have different components which come out when used for a mix like this).

When I did engraving, my foreman showed me the trick of drawing a gray ink sample down a piece of textured stock which seemed to then display the reds, blues, or greens that made it the particular gray it was.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 12:05:12 PM by Frog »
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 12:29:41 PM »
Normally I would mix up our own grey for this but I wanted to purchase something RFU for future reorders. Yep its an offset card but I would think they could be with in 5% of the shade at least jeez come on.
"No man is an island"

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 01:01:33 PM »

Many grays are more complex than just black and white (in fact even some blacks have different components which come out when used for a mix like this).

When I did engraving, my foreman showed me the trick of drawing a gray ink sample down a piece of textured stock which seemed to then display the reds, blues, or greens that made it the particular gray it was.

Definitely.  There's a big difference in a "blue" or "red" grey.  If it's that specific, I mix the PMS color as a baseline and add back black or white or clear from there.  99% gets handled pretty easy with the above method.  Most opaque whites are blue hued it seems.  QCM was very blue to me, making it optically brilliant, Quick White is a little more balanced looking. 

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 01:22:05 PM »
just in case this slipped your mind in the middle of the heat, any ink will print darker on the white garments. If it is showing as 60% dark it might look like a 70% on a white shirt (or even more).

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline cbjamel

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 01:34:52 PM »
Also the more times you hit it it will darken.

Shane

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2012, 11:23:46 PM »
and their gray is the worst about that.  I was amazed at how much it darkened.  To avoid that you can thin it a little.

Offline Croft

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2012, 08:11:03 PM »
try some I have a new gallon of wilflex grey that looks light in the bucket but prints darker, those printed cards aren't that close and they really do a dis-service to themselves handing them out.