Author Topic: Help Mixing Turquoise Ink.  (Read 3902 times)

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
Help Mixing Turquoise Ink.
« on: September 25, 2012, 07:52:56 PM »
I'm in a pinch and I really don't want to spend $85 on an overnight for some ink. I don't have a pantone mixing system, but does anyone know if I can mix a turquoise ink with some standard colors I already have? I'm thinking royal blue and kelly green but I'm worried it will end up looking to muddy. Should I add some white to lighten it up? It will be printing directly onto white shirts. Image is attached. If anyone can help it would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Offline Croft

Re: Help Mixing Turquoise Ink.
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 08:08:22 PM »
might want to try a lighter blue and green , kelly green or even a bright neon green, Tourquoise is a tough one to mix.

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 08:24:02 PM »
Start with spoonfuls of blue and green. Well not so much green. Green is really strong. So maybe a spoonful of blue to a quarter of green and adjust from there. Make sure you keep your formula and multiply from there. Mixing finished inks is tough to do at times. Also may have to throw in a touch of yellow depending on shade.

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 09:21:32 PM »
Thanks guys. I'll give it a try tonight. Otherwise I guess I'll just half to eat the profit margin on this job and overnight the ink lol. My own fault for thinking I had it laying around.

Offline GaryG

• !!!
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 09:27:29 PM »
We mostly use the Wilflex MX system, but when in a hurry we -use the inside top of the white plastic container -with your index finger, rub on some of the main color you are using. Then next color and next guessed. It uses virtually no ink and can get closer and closer by adjusting the amount of the different colors. With a few different scant circles you can do pretty well!

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 09:43:54 PM »
Don't trip Nation03.  Start with whatever blue you like and add some yellow, white if you like or it needs it, and if you go slow and use clean colors it shouldn't get dirty.  Add in some transparent base to taste and get to printin'.  I agree green is strong, give the blue that green hue with yellow instead. 

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 10:19:10 PM »
Awesome, I'll give that a go. Thank you very much!

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2012, 08:57:47 AM »
I'm not sure Royal will get you there, as there's some red in it, at least I always thought so. Cyan and Pantone Green will get you started

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2012, 09:39:26 AM »
What a nightmare if you have to remix more in future....

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2012, 09:42:23 AM »
What ever blue you are using for the blue part of the logo would be best to to mix in a touch of green and yellow. It looks like brite blue?
"No man is an island"

Offline Ripcord

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2012, 02:12:03 PM »
I mix this color all the time for a school and I use process blue and yellow. Union makes a "bright blue" which is very similar to process blue (cyan). By adding more or less of each color you can easily mix the color bluer or greener as you prefer.
Raster to vector conversion

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2012, 04:56:16 PM »
+1 to the base blue being in the cyan family.  Good comments on that.  I wouldn't use royal though you could probably make it happen on whites by extending it then adding the yellow.

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2012, 07:04:18 PM »
All good info. I ended up making a similar shade using royal and yellow with some white in there to lighten it up. The other blue in the logo is a brite blue or a columbia blue.. guess it depends on which ink manufacturer you use. I was tempted to use the lighter shade, but I had an old half quart of royal, so I ended up playing around with that. I might add a little more white before I print, but for the most part I think its close enough. For what they're paying, I'm sure they can't complain.

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2012, 07:08:15 PM »
+1 Zoo and Steve.  If you use cyan or green shade blue and a lemon or process yellow it will be much easier to mix. 
The purple hue in red shade blues will just kill the yellow and make that much more mud. 

Good to hear it worked out for you.

Offline Ripcord

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2012, 10:56:54 AM »
Yep, definitely cyan (Union bright blue) and lemon yellow. Put a smear of it on a piece of paper and run it through the dryer. File it away so if you need to reprint you'll have the color to refer to.
Raster to vector conversion