Author Topic: Moving equipment  (Read 1355 times)

Offline beanie357

• !!!
  • Patience begets quality
Moving equipment
« on: October 12, 2012, 06:45:05 AM »
We've moved a lot of equipment over the decades. Using templates on a grid has been the layout methodology.
We have a new dryer coming in next week, and did the new floor layout as usual. BUT we are waiting for it to arrive to start moving.
I am always off a few inches by plan.
What the heck is wrong with this method?
I gave up pre-running conduit and utilities years ago. I gotta be doing something wrong.
Now I am getting to be an old fart, and would like to nail this on the money a few times.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
Re: Moving equipment
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 06:47:14 AM »
We've moved a lot of equipment over the decades. Using templates on a grid has been the layout methodology.
We have a new dryer coming in next week, and did the new floor layout as usual. BUT we are waiting for it to arrive to start moving.
I gave up pre-running conduit and utilities years ago. I gotta be doing something wrong.
Now I am getting to be an old fart, and would like to nail this on the money a few times.

For me we draw the room to scale in photoshop, the equipment to scale, then move it around until we find the best spots.  Then simply measure on the floor. 
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline 244

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 07:00:40 AM »

For me we draw the room to scale in photoshop, the equipment to scale, then move it around until we find the best spots.  Then simply measure on the floor.
why not use the M&R floor layout program. I am sure there are a few people here who have used it and its free.
Rich Hoffman

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 07:29:59 AM »
I second M&R
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline Socalfmf

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way!
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 07:35:37 AM »
we used it and man it was pretty dead on...we made it so work flow was key...

sam

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 07:57:37 AM »
Get the dimensions of the equipment and location of connections and lay it out on the floor with painters tape to scale. This will give you a full scale visual, get you with in an inch or two. Make all your runs and drops, the last few feet can be finished with flex conduit or flex gas lines. In the past I have made vertical jigs out of scrap lumber with locations, this will give you a target to shoot for.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 09:42:59 AM »

why not use the M&R floor layout program. I am sure there are a few people here who have used it and its free.

I messed with it before we got our press.  It's for sure useful. 

When we added our embroidery machines we did it all in scale in photoshop. 
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2012, 09:59:21 AM »
I,m still old school I lay it out on the floor and mark it off...real world so I know what going to happen, I use to build homes and stuff on paper sometimes don't work out as plan (blueprints) until you lay it out on the ground.

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2012, 12:09:47 PM »
If you use M&R and have things like embroidery machines, and they don't have them in the library, just make some rectangles in the tool box. I put everything I needed in my plans. tables, posts, etc. Doesn't get much easier.
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2012, 12:47:53 PM »
I've used Corel draw for this several times--double click the ruler and you can change your scale to make everything in real world units that you can still print on a page.

I still double check using Darryls method before anything actually moves, however.   Just easier to move vector shapes around than tape.   ;)