Author Topic: Grease trap for washout booth?  (Read 1491 times)

Offline IntegrityShirts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Grease trap for washout booth?
« on: October 16, 2012, 09:30:20 AM »
At first glance, they look perfect for catching any solids that get down the drain, bits of ink and emulsion that over time accumulate and clog.  The restaurant market is MUCH larger than ours, and as such there are a lot of cheap options out there for traps under $150.

Such as:
http://www.acitydiscount.com/John-Boos-14-lb-Grease-Trap-Interceptor-Carbon-Steel-PDI-Certified-GT-14.0.137550.1.1.htm

Opinions? Experience? Advice? Thanks!

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Grease trap for washout booth?
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 09:55:19 AM »
I had a plumber actually make one of these using a five gallon container but I prefer a filtered system. We have a three stage cylindrical particle filtration that has a flow rate alarm that alerts us when a filter needs to be cleaned or replaced. Pricey for some but it makes the county happy.

Offline Croft

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 11:02:00 AM »
I had a plumber actually make one of these using a five gallon container but I prefer a filtered system. We have a three stage cylindrical particle filtration that has a flow rate alarm that alerts us when a filter needs to be cleaned or replaced. Pricey for some but it makes the county happy.

could you post a pic of that setup , I have plans to make up a settling box under the sink similar to the restaurant style but maybe there is another option.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 11:14:55 AM »
Here it is. I just learned that the alarm system was removed as it was annoying and they just check the water pressure on the gauge. System is app 12 ys old

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 12:30:45 PM »
At first glance, they look perfect for catching any solids that get down the drain, bits of ink and emulsion that over time accumulate and clog.  The restaurant market is MUCH larger than ours, and as such there are a lot of cheap options out there for traps under $150.

Such as:
http://www.acitydiscount.com/John-Boos-14-lb-Grease-Trap-Interceptor-Carbon-Steel-PDI-Certified-GT-14.0.137550.1.1.htm

Opinions? Experience? Advice? Thanks!

Do these work with just gravity or do you need to add a pump to the system?

Offline IntegrityShirts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 12:50:07 PM »
Gravity as far as I can tell from diagrams I've found.  It would take a couple hours and probably 40-60 bucks in supplies to make a better one than I have now, so at $130 shipped I can't imagine anything I come up with will be more thought out and prettier than these.  It'll also look a lot more convincing if a town rep comes in to have a look!

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 12:55:56 PM »
Nice find. For under $150 its had to beat. I think I will still put a filter after it.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 01:05:21 PM »
Yes those are gravity fed. Pumps will not give the solids time to settle. Depending on exactly what your volume/throughput  is and whats going down the drain it may not be sufficient.

Offline IntegrityShirts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2012, 01:07:02 PM »
Yeah, after reading about how they work a little further, and watching videos, it might be a good starting point to put screens or filters in, but not the best solids catcher for plastisol or emulsion.  Basically, grease floats and congeals, and that's the premise of the design, that the grease will float to the top of the container.  So the basics aren't even the same lol.

Could put a screen instead of a solid plate in the first baffle section, then maybe add another finer mesh filter after that.  Basically paying 130 for a steel box with fittings on both ends lol maybe I should rethink it.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2012, 01:16:39 PM »
You are correct the process is not the same. If you're handy enough you can use screen mesh from coarse to fine to catch particles and solids. Be sure to construct the unit so that the "filters" can be easily removed and cleaned often. I don't care for the roll fed units BTW

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2012, 02:32:10 PM »
I built one like Mooseman.

I used this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005KDBMW2/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00

I wouldn't mind putting a filter on it but I don't really need it where I am.