Author Topic: Xerox 550 Can our industry film for screens be used in this?  (Read 1645 times)

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
Xerox 550 Can our industry film for screens be used in this?
« on: October 16, 2012, 10:57:47 AM »
Xerox 550  Can our industry film for screens be used in this?

Anyone using one for this?  I have a local source that will print films for me (and I supply the films) and he then prints solid black (in CMYK) settings so that I get a rich black (as bet I can).  I am just considering that as a back up plan.

I have an epson 3000 that i need to get running. Last person to have it said it just quit and he didn't want to mess with it and had another one, so, he gave it to me. This was a few years ago. It's been sitting since then (as was all of my equipment) and now I will be getting looking into getting this Epson 3000 fixed or going another route if it cost too much to repair.

In the mean time, An inkjet digital paper printer just up the street from me said he'd print my film if I provided the film and would just charge a small fee.  So, the question is, Can our film work correctly in his Xerox 550  like any other digital printer (I guess).

He said that he thought films or transparencies would melt in it. It apparently gets up to 350-400 degrees somewhere inside the printer.  Is this typical of printers? Do they get that hot for your guys somewhere inside?  Maybe his type of printer is not suited for films?

Are our film positives sturdy enough to handle that type of heat during the process and not "shrink"?

I know to just get my own new one later, but I've got a lot of $300, $500 and $1000.00 things to get right now to start.

Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Xerox 550 Can our industry film for screens be used in this?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 11:25:48 AM »
It's a laser! That's where the heat, and its inherent shrinking and registration problems come back into play, the main reason for the trend towards inkjets.
The good thing is that it includes it's own Postscript for halftone control and Rip for accurate color.

It would also require a different film or vellum
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 11:28:12 AM by Frog »
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 11:38:16 AM »
We run velum or regular transparancies through our Miniolta Biz Hub and Toahiba digital press. One or two color jobs its fine. The fuser in the big copiers and printers does get hot, not sure how hot. Never tried regular films.

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 11:45:30 AM »
We run velum or regular transparancies through our Miniolta Biz Hub and Toahiba digital press. One or two color jobs its fine. The fuser in the big copiers and printers does get hot, not sure how hot. Never tried regular films.

Remember, that even beyond the possible damage to your machine if "regular film " melts or sticks to the fuser, the coating of the film itself is designed to receive ink, not toner.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 11:53:09 AM »
I see you are correct.  I read up on it and it does print "transparency" but not larger than 8.5 x 11 in the specified "transparency mode", so thats out. I can do that on my own cmyk color printer.

Remember, that even beyond the possible damage to your machine if "regular film " melts or sticks to the fuser, the coating of the film itself is designed to receive ink, not toner.

[/size]
[/size]good point.  I would not want to risk damaging his printer.  That thing is a $40,000 printer.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 11:56:35 AM »

[/size]
[/size]good point.  I would not want to risk damaging his printer.  That thing is a $40,000 printer.

Man, he got took. I can get it for $39,995!  ;D

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 12:50:33 PM »

[/size]

Man, he got took. I can get it for $39,995!  ;D

It's a $40,000 printer that was made to do something altogether different, and it's a laser, you really don't want to go there Dan. Spend the money on a proper printer and RIP, and be done with it. Or ask Pierre or someone else to print your films for you.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 01:20:15 PM »
this is what you want to get started. It will cost a little bit of money, but is your best bet.

Workhorse 1100 with FM Lite RIP
http://www.cadlink.com/products/filmMaker/fm_DTP_Lite.php

about $400 all together for a multifunction printer that you can use for office work and still print the films and very good halftones. Spend the $200 for the printer and then get the RIP when you need it a little bit later. That should make it a lot easier to manage the expense.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2012, 01:53:52 PM »
Thats what I'll do.  THANKS!