Author Topic: Printing onto Silcone  (Read 2341 times)

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
Printing onto Silcone
« on: October 18, 2012, 02:05:32 PM »
I thought this could go pad or screen depending...anyone done it?  I imagine Nazdar has a screen ink for this. 

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Printing onto Silcone
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 04:03:07 PM »
my understanding is that it is very difficult as nothing will stick to it. Make sure you have the right product!

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 04:34:14 PM »
What Pierre said. Really.

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 05:11:14 PM »
We were asked to print on some silicon belting two or three years ago. Tried a wide variety of inks and processes, all would flake off after a short time of playing with the samples. One company suggested chemically etching the silicone to create an anchor pattern for the ink to grab onto and then printing with a two part epoxy. We never perused this option because we found someone who was able to sonic weld the imprint on the belting. Ended up just passing the information on to the customer and letting them handle it.

Offline balloonguy

• !!!
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 05:15:35 PM »
I would contact nazdar directly. They have a great tech support department.
When you dig grave will you make it shallow so that I can feel the rain?

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 09:24:57 PM »
my understanding is that it is very difficult as nothing will stick to it. Make sure you have the right product!

pierre

Makes me think of those super slippery snake oils like Slick 50. Liquid Teflon miracles that were supposed to coat parts, even when there was no oil.
If it was so damn slippery, what makes it stay on to "coat" parts?
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 09:42:53 PM »
It can be done. I've padprinted on elastameric keypads before. At first I didn't see how a silicon pad would transfer ink that adheres to silicone, but it works.

For anything larger than a 2" diameter print I would go with silkscreening as the ink goes on "wetter" and it's easier to get a thicker coat.

http://www.inkcups.com/inks-thinners/screen-pad-printing-ink/si-silicone-ink/Default.aspx

Typically to silkscreen with padprinting inks, you need to load them up with retarder, or at least the slowest thinner available for it. think 300-420 mesh, move fast, keep it flooded.

ps: the ink is damned expensive, right up there with silver loaded conductive inks for membrane switches.
Wishin' I was Fishin'