Author Topic: First try discharge & WB  (Read 1265 times)

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
First try discharge & WB
« on: October 19, 2012, 06:25:11 PM »
Thanks for all the pointers and tips using WB and Discharge. We ran a two color left chest earlier this week with D-White and PMS 102  on black, came out better then imagined. Today we got a little more daring and ran D-White font and under base topped with red plastisol on 112 Comfort Color tee's. Again could not be happier with the results.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: First try discharge & WB
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 11:18:47 AM »
could not get the image to open up (I think it is too big), but from what I see it looks KICK A@#!!!

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 11:35:40 AM »
It enlarges for me just fine.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 08:09:24 PM »
Great looking print. Did you wash test the print? I have not seen it but people are saying if you use d- white straight as an underbase for plastisol. You will have cracking on the plastisol.

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2012, 09:30:49 PM »
Washed twice then gave it to the dog. Still looked good. Heard the same thing and was neverous as hell when it came out of the washer and dryer.

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2012, 11:17:18 PM »
Did you thin or base down the red?

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2012, 11:54:22 PM »
No actually a thin red to begin with, Miami ink mix going through a 355 one light stroke, all half tones. You can't even feel the ink after the shirt was washed. I would assume because its all "dots" of ink and not one large layer of ink it should remain flexable.

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 02:26:38 AM »
First off thanks for sharing the info. This gives me some hope. I do a ton of white and another color on dark shirts. I want to do DC underbase but on small orders I don't want to have to do 3 screens. If I can do D-white and then top it and have it be the white print then that will save me a ton of time and screens over a year.

I have to know what dryer do you have? If its really big and a ton of heat that maybe why it worked???

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2012, 09:09:12 AM »
Speaking of dryers and not trying to derail this thread BUT...

I have a Chaparral 12' (4' heat, 3 12" wide panels)... it has "air" but they are just air knives that go before and after each panel (so 4 air knives total) it also has an "air heater" not sure how effective it is... but anyway.  I currently run it about 4.5" from belt and at about 8' per minute and the panel's internal temp set to 880 degrees.  To hit 380-390 degrees on the shirt as it comes out from the last panel.  I get a good cure and no scorching at this settings.  But that is plastisol.

What changes should I be making to start with to switch to discharge/WB?  I know electric is way less than ideal but we print so slowly that we barely have two garments on the belt at a time now... we we have PLENTY of belt left for slowing things down.

I'm figure I need to turn the belt down a LOT (under 4' per minute?) which means I'd need to turn the temp down as well... what would be a good starting point for these two settings?  Should I change the height of the panels as well?

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2012, 10:34:13 AM »
Please don't laugh but they went through our Vastex EC 54" with the scrub air on, 3' chamber. It was sloooooooooooow, it took a little less then an hour to do the job. When they came out there was still a faint smell of the discharge so they went through a second time. Yes I am looking for another larger dryer to be a little more efficient. We ran the white/yellow job earlier this week through our Max Cure, 5' of heat.  For that one we just slowed the belt speed down a little.

We have the same issue with most customers wanting light colors on dark shirts, surprised how many people want black for summer events. We do a quarterly order of a six color+UB on black shirts. No mater what we tried the end result feels like a rain coat. This is what pushed us to start testing the Discharge and WB. We are redoing the art work now and hope to run that job all WB.