Author Topic: Printing a 15" white circle on black shirts  (Read 18314 times)

Offline shellyky

Printing a 15" white circle on black shirts
« on: October 23, 2012, 09:38:03 AM »
printing a giant filled in 15" white circle on black shirts tomorrow, what is my best course of action for this (imagine a converse all stars logo, very little red and blue text on top, mainly this white blob)...had to do this once before in the past and it was a nightmare! LOL......

Mesh Selections for:
UB white
HL white
Blue
Red

thanks, i always dread these giant white blobs due to underflashing and coming up wet on the next screen, too much open space on the screen, shirt sticks to the screen...etc

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Printing a 15" white circle on black shirts
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 10:24:52 AM »
Shelly.....you know I'm going to tell you to discharge the base (Providing shirts will work, and use a 140 mesh). A quick flash to steam it off and 160/180 mesh for top colors. Call me if you want to discuss or p-mail
843-554-3840x2260

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 10:26:26 AM »
Lots of options, but I'd go with a 140 UB (we don't use 156, but it's pretty much the same neighborhood) 230 for the rest, 2 flashes, but I won't make an image wider than the flash unit, what's the point? It really shouldn't be a headache, unless you're trying to do something your equipment won't do. If the ink is curing but sticking, slow down until it cools, but I'm pretty sure you already know this.

Steve

Or, discharge the base of course as just mentioned.
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline shellyky

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 10:59:07 AM »
ok thats about what i was thinking, 158 and a 230 top. shouldnt stick if there isnt that much ink laid down and go slow (i have a quartz for the 1st flash but my 2nd one is just IR manual so it takes it longer to cook)....got it--thanks guys!

brandt has some samples of discharge stuff coming, i think switching to that will cause some easier printing for sure since 99% of everything we do is 5 colors on top a white UB on black shirts...

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 11:06:37 AM »
With such a large image area, to get plastisol bright you have to deposit too much ink and the print will be uncomfortable to wear.  I'd probably do a discharge underbase through a 135 or 150 S thread and then put plastisol white on top of it then do your top colors.  That will cut the ink deposit in half or more and still get a bright white.  Stencil thickness won't do much for you with such a big open area, so thread thickness will be important if you choose to go all plastisol.  Too thin and you'll have to print, flash, print, flash, print, flash, etc., too thick and it will stop bullets once you're done.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 11:30:19 AM »
I did a 13 x 13 circle and did it white plastisol and yes it was thick, tried to get the customer let me knock out some of the white ink but they wanted a solid white print...felt like a piece of plastic, if I had discharge or knew how to use it back then that would have been my choice.  Discharge is the way to go but it to has its own problems to deal with good luck Shell...oh you might can do a halftone of some of the white base if you printing a solid color over top.

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 12:33:37 PM »
Yes, discharge.

If not:

230 base
150-180 top
230+ colors

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 03:34:31 PM »
Discharge samples are taking forever. 
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 05:30:30 PM »

No need to wait for samples. Get CCI Dbase and some white and run with it.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 05:33:10 PM »

Where can I buy it online.  I don't have time to play phone order with people. 
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2012, 06:20:02 PM »
ryonet sells it but like all their stuff, they rebadge it and name it something that has their name in it somewhere.   Their discharge products are CCI so you can be confident that it's a good ink.  Should be a one day or two day ship for you.  I think they have a large warehouse in northern Arkansas.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2012, 06:21:26 PM »
Tonypep has listed his CCI rep in your neck of the woods. I email my various reps
with my orders all the time.

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2012, 06:23:37 PM »
http://www.ccidom.com/pages.php?pageid=30

There are suppliers in Chicago and Missouri that carry it according to their site. One of them is Nazdar.

Any clear discharge base will work well. We have tried several with good results.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2012, 08:26:37 PM »

LOL, I was thinking the same thing....."just buy the damn stuff".  Worth it to get started in the long run.  Can always change later.
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2012, 08:27:29 PM »
ryonet sells it but like all their stuff, they rebadge it and name it something that has their name in it somewhere.   Their discharge products are CCI so you can be confident that it's a good ink.  Should be a one day or two day ship for you.  I think they have a large warehouse in northern Arkansas.

They do.  3 around the nation I believe.
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers