Author Topic: Dryer location in my shop  (Read 4668 times)

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
Dryer location in my shop
« on: October 24, 2012, 10:59:48 AM »
Hello all. Please review this vid and let me know what you think. The fire marshall may require me to be farther away from the wall. He may also require some heat shield on the wall. I'd really like to make it work so that the dryer is in that small back area blocked off from the front production area.

It may also not be feasible on the body to lean in a window like that for long orders. Hard on the body. It would be reaching trough the wall onto the belt, by about a 2-3' lean in.

Dryer location
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
Re: Dryer location in my shop
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 01:01:20 PM »
I'm not sure about passing a wet shirt through an opening and placing them on a belt. Does the feed end of the dryer hang over the legs enough to have the belt actually extend into the press room? I realize that means the opening of the dryer would be adjacent to the wall itself. What about building a hood over the dryer that would capture some of the heat from the open ends and feed that into the bathroom to vent out? I think Wayne built a nice hood over his dryer and had pictures.
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 01:07:00 PM »
The opening can be as large of a window as I want to make it.  Would be plenty of room.  36" wide by 36" tall or more. if needed.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 01:20:34 PM »
That vent in the bathroom likely just goes into the ceiling and not out to the atmos.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 01:37:05 PM »
It does.  Found that out.  I imagined they all went outside. Nope.  Anywho,  I could take it outside. I do have a vent coming in on the back right side in the bathroom wall. Would need to bust into the wall a little.

Offline MrBreeze

• !!!
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 02:28:55 PM »
Why a window?  Why not open it up like a door all the way to the floor?
If it's so easy, you do it.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 02:36:16 PM »
Dan your vid was kind of hard to really see anything being so narrow, ain't no way to but that dryer and press close?

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2012, 02:46:09 PM »
Why a window?  Why not open it up like a door all the way to the floor?

The intent for having it in that back room was more so for keeping the heat back in that room separate from the production area. So, the larger the window, the more heat that escapes into the air conditioned area. A door would defeat the purpose. ANother reason for te dryer being in that room obviously is for space, but really for keeping the heat out (as much as possible).

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2012, 02:47:52 PM »
Dan your vid was kind of hard to really see anything being so narrow, ain't no way to but that dryer and press close?

Darryl

Yes,  I could put them both in the same room but I'm trying to see if I can keep all or much of the heat in that back room. Comfort and cost reasons.

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2012, 03:09:15 PM »
Looking at your video again, I'd cut a slot about a 8 to 12 inches high and the width of the belt and support in the wall, put the dryer on wheels, and slide the infeed end through the slot in the wall. I doubt there'll be enough heat off the dryer to catch the place on fire, and you could place some reflective material on the wall facing the dryer to help. Roll the dryer away from the slot when not using it. What are the chances that the fire marshall will show up when you're baking shirts? In the building I was in, I wired up a couple of fluorescent fixtures over my press area with an extension cord, and all connections were with wire nuts wrapped in electrical tape . . . no strain relief. The cord hung down the side wall and I'd plug it in as I needed it. When the fire marshall showed up, he stood there looking at it. The only thing he made me do was get the fire extinguisher hanging on the wall inspected and tagged. He and I both knew that the lighting wiring wasn't "code", and I guess he assumed that I unplugged it when I wasn't there, which was true, but he never asked, and I've learned to keep my mouth shut . . . . well, sometimes anyway.
JMHO
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2012, 03:15:56 PM »
Dan you can run some metal flex duct and just about take your heat out anywhere you want..that stuff you can hang from the ceiling until you find the exit you want.

Darryl

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2012, 06:56:39 PM »
I am no dryer expert but I would put the dryer 25 percent in the room with you and 75 in the other room. I am guessing but 75 percent of the heat that will heat up your room comes from gases and heat escaping when shirts come out of the tunnel. As long as that end is in the other room your fine. Heat is one issue. You want your dryer in the ideal place for production. That's were the money is. If you have to take a step or have to be careful because the way your dryer is your cutting your production. I'm a one man shop and its not that I can't print lower and still get them done. Its I don't want to take any longer than I have to. Its frustrating when your printing and don't have an ideal set up.

Good luck and I know once you start printing you will want to make changes.

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2012, 07:33:57 PM »
PS - Dan hold your phone sideways when doing videos so its wide screen.

Offline Donnie

• !!!
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2012, 10:56:40 PM »
So you afraid of a little heat. Candy Ass ;)  I would extent the belt through the wall as tpitman said.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2012, 12:03:02 AM »
Dan I looked at your vid again now i see it clear now, if your going put a hole in the wall why not just remove that wall and place it on the other side and your press and dryer will be in the same room, unless that wall is weight bearing or have electric plugs in it.  You could stand a fake wall up in know time.

Darryl