Author Topic: Rototex 6 color 4 station  (Read 3114 times)

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
Rototex 6 color 4 station
« on: October 24, 2012, 11:35:49 AM »
I have this press I'm cleaning up to use. Once up, I go to put the (one) adult pallet, two children's and a sleeve pallet on and realize that I don't have the bolts that it originally came with. The bolts that lock the pallet sleeve to the pallet head. They stack in this order.

Apparently, the bolt is about 2.5" long, with a huge (flat) head and a skinny bolt. 3/8ths thick.

1 Pallet,
2 Pallet sleeve
3 Pallet head
4 Press arm.

Anyone know of a  business that could have these items in stock for old Rototex presses?   I've checked at Home Depot and a few locate hardware stores and they tell me it's a custom bolt.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 11:39:34 AM by Dottonedan »
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Catnhat

Re: Rototex 6 color 4 station
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 12:23:19 PM »
It's not a custom bolt.  It's a counter-sunk Hex/Allen head bolt.
Our old 4/1 Rototex is in storage or I'd snap a picture.
Should be able to get from any hardware store.
Looks like this

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 12:55:43 PM »
I did check with some hardware stores. They said it's a custom bolt or more unique then they carry.

Should be about half of that bolt thickness.  See the smaller inner circle on picture above this one (in first post). I measured it.  It's about 38ths thick including threads.

I was told I could just drill out a larger hole...but this is threaded into the mount. So it seems as if the threads are there for a reason. As in, to keep it more intact?  Not sure. It could be drilled for larger more standard bolts.  Was just seeing if I can get them at some "screen print" place.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 12:59:43 PM by Dottonedan »
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 12:59:44 PM »
actually the bolt is pretty thick, it's just that the head is really wide!
the hole for the screw is .300 wide.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 01:04:03 PM »
actually the bolt is pretty thick, it's just that the head is really wide!
the hole for the screw is .300 wide.

pierre

You are more correct.  The actual bolt hole measured to be 5/16ths wide.  The head of the bolt should be .75" wide. The length of the bolt is 2.5"

Pierre,  just send me the bolts off of one of your pallets. It's not doing anything.  :D

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 01:11:28 PM »
Dan, unless you prefer surfing the net exclusively like today's kids, doesn't your area have shops that sell nothing but fasteners? We used to have fun named "Screw Shop", and though it closed, we still have another place for pretty much nothing but threaded fasteners.
Even with a $5 or $10 minimum, you may do fine.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 01:38:33 PM »
What is a threaded "fastener" ?

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2012, 01:39:35 PM »
aero-inc.com may have them. And do to a recent buy out, no more pictures of the Gipper with every order!

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2012, 01:44:42 PM »
Try Fastenal. There's one on LB McLeod Road just off Vineland. There's another up near me but the one on Vineland has better stock.
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2012, 02:19:13 PM »
I'd check out McMaster Carr as well--they have an IMMENSE stock of fasteners, as well as PDF scale drawings of most everything.

You'll probably have to buy way too many of them, but that place is worth checking out for lots of stuff...  (That vac blanket and seal would be good candidates as well)

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2012, 04:11:01 PM »
What is a threaded "fastener" ?
nuts, bolts, screws, machine screws, etc.

Offline StuJohnston

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2012, 06:32:21 PM »
There are slots in the arms right? You should also have some sleeves that these bolts go through to keep them from crushing the aluminum. I attached a photo of the bolts and sleeves/washers. I don't know if you could find the sleeve thing in stock anywhere, but they would be trivial to fix up on a lathe.

Fastenal is definitely a screwy shop. I went there with my dad to get some pocket screws and they couldn't find any for us. But this bolt should be in their inventory.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2012, 06:59:49 PM »
I wish I could pluck those out of the picture and use them.  LOL. They seem much more thicker than what I imagine needing. The hole on the base measures 5/16ths across. Yours looks thicker, but maybe not.  I do need those sleeves as well. I know (I KNOW) i've got those here somewhere but I've cleaned out the garage and can't seem to find them. I now remember holding them in my hand thinking how heavy they were.

One of our posters here, Ebscreen noted this company. http://www.aero-inc.com/oldsite/rototex.html  I made a book mark on all of the others also, but this one had everything in one section. They have EVERY part I need, including new side arms. The machine them and supposedly even have made them better.  They even have the little micro registration sticker. Imagine that, Micro registration on my manual press.  I'm really excited to get this going. Mine are all wracked up anyways. Different knobs on every other one. Of those that I have, I have a missing one on every head.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2012, 08:28:52 PM »
Aero has been the place for our old Advance stuff for some time, and now, they'll even sell to folks above the Mason Dixon line!

Get over it guys, you lost!!  :P

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't