Author Topic: Dryer vent exit "flap" ideas?  (Read 5180 times)

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Dryer vent exit "flap" ideas?
« on: October 27, 2012, 02:11:45 PM »
Obviously I can put some metal "mesh"/chicken wire or whatever to keep critters out but I'd like to do it like a dryer or oven vent and have it open and close with the flow as so heat/cold from outside doesn't just dump into my shop.

What is everyone else doing that has a climate controlled shop?

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
Re: Dryer vent exit "flap" ideas?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 02:25:41 PM »
Your local hardware shop should have ready made vent flaps available.

Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 02:49:57 PM »
That's what I have on my outside wall from my dryer.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 11:34:11 PM »
Ah, online only, that's why I haven't found it in my browsing around the hardware stores.

Offline ScreenPrinter123

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 12:11:12 AM »
They have them at Home Depot for sure.  When you get into the larger sizes, like 12" diameter ones, you would probably have to go to a specialized ducting place -- If memory serves correct, HD only has up to 8" or 10".

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 12:18:13 AM »
Would you need a fan of some sort to pull the air and allow the flap to open? This is something I will be tackling soon as well but mine will have to be suspended in the air along the wall and blow out the roll up door.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 12:26:49 AM »
Hmm... I'll have to check closer and maybe see if I can "bother" an employee to find the right one.  I should only need 8" maybe 10".

Gerry, my dryer has a small fan on it.  If that can't push it open then I'll get another in-line fan to pull it out.

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2012, 12:37:19 AM »
Are you gonna use flex hose?

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2012, 12:42:10 AM »
I don't think so... it's a pretty straight, easy, short run.

Offline ScreenPrinter123

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2012, 12:43:50 AM »
While I think what has been mentioned is the best route, because it will protect from rain getting into the pipe, among other living creatures, you could also do what we did in a duct that doesn't have enough space in between one wall and the wall of a building behind us: put a butterfly damper inside the ducting, drill two holes on either side of the hinge of the damper, and bolt and nut down a spring that has the proper tension such that it will flex open when your blower is blowing your exhaust out and flexes back shut when it's not being blown open.

I'd strongly recommend the rigid over the flex ducting having employed both....but what do I know.

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2012, 01:05:42 AM »
I was thinking of running rigid up off the dryer and then this after that and route it to the rollup door. I need it to flex some how because I am not going to cut a hole in the wall so it needs to sort of swivel out and in the rollup door.http://www.homedepot.com/Building-Materials-Heating-Venting-Cooling/h_d1/N-25ecodZ5yc1vZ25ecodZasgqZ25egxh/R-100182573/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=flex&storeId=10051

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2012, 11:31:11 AM »
check the flex duct since it's usually rated for a lower temp.  They have high temp stuff, but I am not sure Home Depot carries it, you might have to go to an HVAC supply place.  Ty are actually not even recommending flex duct for clothes dryers anymore.

I put our duct in with regular ducting, works great, I then insulated the outside...this is of course on the gas dryer, where the stuff coming out is 400+

I am eventually going to get a blower to take the heat off the belt exit.  Should make life a little cooler in the shop.

Offline killergraphics

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2012, 06:14:15 PM »
I'm using the same as the rest.

Get a roll of this

http://www.amazon.com/3311-Foil-Width-Length-Silver/product-reviews/B000HBOYZO

and tape the joints together or they will work themselves loose.

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2012, 08:03:25 PM »
Would you need a fan of some sort to pull the air and allow the flap to open? This is something I will be tackling soon as well but mine will have to be suspended in the air along the wall and blow out the roll up door.
My guess is that depends on your dryer. Our gas dryer does not need a fan to pull the air as long as the ducting is not longer then 25 ft. We managed to make our ducting just under 25 ft with 2 90 degree bends.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2012, 10:52:52 AM »
This reminds me of the pigeons that used to sneak their way into our Ray Paul up in New England. They make a disturbing sound when firing up on Monday mornings.