Author Topic: Yellow.. Yellow.. Yellow.. Green??.. WTF!  (Read 2632 times)

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Yellow.. Yellow.. Yellow.. Green??.. WTF!
« on: October 28, 2012, 02:02:56 PM »
My friend from a local contract shop here in town has been getting into discharge printing over the last year. He had a job in house last week, 15k shirts with 3 locations, all discharge. A light gray with a bright yellow-gold. He calls me last week freaking out that mid run his prints went from yellow to green suddenly with no explanation. He mixed some fresh ink but still got the green print. We talked on the phone and tried to solve the problem. I told him it was probably that he ran into some over-dye problems and to pull a shirt from every box and test to be sure. He was dead set that the ink and the entire discharge process was nothing but a headache and got off the phone to call his custy and ask if he could run plastisol instead. He calls me back, they said OK and off he ran into his comfort zone of thick plastisol printed through a 110 mesh.

I cruised over to see him after work to see for myself what the problem was.

He was using AAA shirts, youth S through adult 3X. All the problems were only on some youth sizes. He never pulled shirts from other boxes as he felt he was under a time crunch and didn't have the time to test.

I took one look at the yellow print gone green shirts and sure enough.. they were over-dyed green shirts.

It's just part of the process to get stuck with over-dyes from time to time. It's no reason to give up.
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline Nick Bane

Re: Yellow.. Yellow.. Yellow.. Green??.. WTF!
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 02:40:53 PM »
overdyes were my first thought too.  ran into that back when i first started w discharge printing in the early 90s and we got FOL black ts and all of a sudden we started getting the weird color change too.  eventually got out of FOL that they were forest green overdyed to black that was causing the problem.  havent ran into it since, but now i know to keep an eye on it still.
Bane Ink - 619-701-4283

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 03:05:23 PM »
what do you guys do if this happens? send the shirts back? is there any way to salvage a bad dye lot?
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 04:19:35 PM »
what do you guys do if this happens? send the shirts back? is there any way to salvage a bad dye lot?

Over-dyes are the bain of the discharge world as you have no idea what you're getting from the supplier. A really good eye can sometimes see that the black isn't really black or it's a deeper black than normal and you test it, but most times the guy loading the press, has no clue until the dryer catcher says something and you halt printing.. only to find the 20+ shirts in the dryer along with the 10-18 on press are all rejects.

If you're a contract printer, it's in your terms of service that you are not responsible for over-dyes and just keep printing putting the rejects aside.

Custom printer.. you take the hit and order more shirts.

With discharge, you never really know what's going to happen until it comes out of the dryer and by then, game set match.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 04:46:17 PM »
I thought I heard somewhere that you can specify discharge ready shirts when ordering from some of the major suppliers. It's worth talking ot the rep and finding out who offers this.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline jasonl

• !!!
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 05:36:44 PM »
Tultex are gauranteed to discharge or money back.
"We Make Blank Shirts Look Awesome!"

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 05:57:20 PM »
Tultex are gauranteed to discharge or money back.

Yep.. for a premium price.

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2012, 07:07:22 PM »
And with no compensation for down time.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2012, 10:18:32 PM »
Thats an eye opener for me cuz I ran into this and thought I was dealing with a label issue (50/50)labeled as a 100%  thanks guys!!

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2012, 06:37:46 AM »
call me crazy, but this is why I like a discharge base with a plastisol top.  Still no flashing and the prints look fantastic.  I just ran one on black with a DC ub and 3 top colors, looks amazing and the customer LOVES them.  She sells about 300 a weekend(when she as events).

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2012, 10:46:12 AM »
Just a random hint, but more than a few times I've seen shirts that are re-dyes that have tags that are off color.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2012, 01:43:37 PM »
swab test, pre flight.

your friend could have easily just added a second screen of  high opacity yellow wb or plastisol to overlay the dc. thats what I would have rocked on a run that size if the swab tests showed too much variance box to box.

we have yet to get a balls out color change on a run.  it's usually just a difference in hue and typically you only notice it when we're running ink with a low percentage of activator.

even if you bump into this dc still makes sense with two screens if it reduces or eliminates flashing.

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2012, 03:38:52 PM »
swab test, pre flight.

your friend could have easily just added a second screen of  high opacity yellow wb or plastisol to overlay the dc. thats what I would have rocked on a run that size if the swab tests showed too much variance box to box.

This is the same friend who a while back decided to keep using 2" tape when it was mathmaticlly proven 3" would save him time AND money.
He also opted to keep the rubylith vs the amber or clear light sleeve on the darkroom bulbs because it felt nostalgic to be in the darkroom  ::)

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2012, 03:44:38 PM »
That's funny John, everyone has their own way. 

I'm actually going with 4" tape next order b/c I found we're doubling up the 3" to get up high enough on the rollers for security when running wb.  I'd rather pay a little extra per roll and use half the amount of tape, not sure how he missed the math on that one.   I'm guessing he refuses to use a wider scoop coater as well?

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2012, 09:02:07 PM »
This is the same friend who a while back decided to keep using 2" tape when it was mathmaticlly proven 3" would save him time AND money.
He also opted to keep the rubylith vs the amber or clear light sleeve on the darkroom bulbs because it felt nostalgic to be in the darkroom  ::)

Has any one done any "coin test" with the clear sleeves?  I've looked at the numbers and it's not in the correct range of blocking... I am just being anal but I like to quantify the risk.