Author Topic: pallet adhesive for hoodies  (Read 4995 times)

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
pallet adhesive for hoodies
« on: November 05, 2012, 08:01:30 PM »
What is everyone using for pallet adhesive? I generally use Tekbond TV HVwaterbase pallet adhesive, but find I have to reactivate it after almost every hoodie. I hate using spray adhesive, but will sometimes grab a can of the old evil stuff. So what do you use?

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
Re: pallet adhesive for hoodies
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 08:04:50 PM »
I hate using spray tack as well, at least the mist spray. The web tack seems to be the way to go for hoodies. It doesn't float around in the air and you have much better control of where it goes. I still don't like using any aerosol adhesives, but for hoodies it is the fastest and easiest way.

Offline Nick Bane

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 08:18:05 PM »
Agreed, i hate spray cans as well, and wont use the mist anywhere, but the web spraycan is my go to for sweatshirts. 
Bane Ink - 619-701-4283

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 08:18:47 PM »
yeah, web spray and layered pallet tape is about the best option we have found too. . .R jennings was selling this two sided tape with like a hook and loop thing on it, I remember guys talking about it years ago, I wonder what ever happened to that?
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 08:28:29 PM »
yeah, web spray and layered pallet tape is about the best option we have found too. . .R jennings was selling this two sided tape with like a hook and loop thing on it, I remember guys talking about it years ago, I wonder what ever happened to that?

He still has something like that on his site. Says it's a velcro type material. Sounds like it would hold it down, but I'm curious if it would compromise the print quality if it isn't a flat surface.

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 08:36:45 PM »
I was one of the Dri-Tack folks, and have an adult as well as a youth set, but after a couple of bad experiences, I got away from them.
Funny thing is, even before this thread, about a week ago, I looked them out considering a controlled experiment. See, I think that I a few years back, when I used them, I found that some brands of fleece may have worked better than others. The other two possibilities are user error, or just a risky product.
For those who don't know this product (almost everyone) they are like the spikey part of velcro hook and loop fasteners.
They are a sheet which adheres to your boards, the same as a shirt, so they are very convenient when changing from regular T's to fleece.
The "spikes" are slightly angled in the opposite direction of the squeegee stroke, so that printing is supposed to make the shirt even more secure, after smoothing it towards the holding direction as well.
The shirt is removed by pulling away from the spikes.

http://dri-tack.com/dritack-pallet.htm
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 08:41:08 PM »
Nation,  The sheets feel like rough sandpaper. The fleece is comparatively thick, the "spikes" are short, and not an issue.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 08:54:31 PM »
Unfortunately, spray tack aerosole cans are the easiest and quickest ways.  I hate that stuff, but keep it in stock for sweats.
If he gets up, we'll all get up, IT'LL BE ANARCHY!-John Bender

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, 08:58:12 PM »
Nation,  The sheets feel like rough sandpaper. The fleece is comparatively thick, the "spikes" are short, and not an issue.

Ah, thanks for clearing that up.

Offline Shawn (EIP)

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012, 09:30:28 PM »
I still have my Jennings drytack sheet that came with a shop buy out and have yet to give it a go.... 5 years later I think I'll try it out!

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2012, 09:45:45 PM »
What is everyone using for pallet adhesive? I generally use Tekbond TV HVwaterbase pallet adhesive, but find I have to reactivate it after almost every hoodie. I hate using spray adhesive, but will sometimes grab a can of the old evil stuff. So what do you use?
I remember Chromaline having a pallet adhesive for fleece tops. TexTac II. 5Gallons for $160.
https://www.chromaline.com/product/textac-ii/

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2012, 06:01:35 AM »
Shanarchy,

we do a fair amount of hoodies and also hate renewing the tac on the pallet. After ruining several hoodies over several jobs (because the fabric moved) we have come to the ultimate conclusion that you have to clean after almost every load or order more hoodies.
Especially on large prints IF IT DON'T STICK IT WILL MAKE YOU SICK and cost you $$$$$ and time.
Here is what we use torenew the pallet adhesive BTW we wus the same stuff.
If you find a way around this let us all know
mooseman

DSCF7847
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2012, 07:21:31 AM »
I have found the bristle brush reactivation to be the most effective but the pitfall to the WB tack is definitely fleece. Duane at JSR probably still uses the two sided adhesive pallet tape but I found to be expensive and can't remember how well it worked on sweats.

Offline Zelko-4-EVA

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2012, 07:34:31 AM »
I have found the bristle brush reactivation to be the most effective but the pitfall to the WB tack is definitely fleece. Duane at JSR probably still uses the two sided adhesive pallet tape but I found to be expensive and can't remember how well it worked on sweats.

we still use the two sided adhesive pallet tape for shirts, and yes it is expensive.

for sweats (and 99.9999999% are black) we use camie 375 flash tack. the web spray didnt work well under the flash.

we did 3000 black hooded sweatshirts the other week. the gauntlets were covered. 

if anyone has a better solution, im listening. 

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2012, 07:38:32 AM »
I haven't had any major issues with flashing with web tack. If you can spare the heads, maybe set up a pre-flash on head 1 to make sure the tack will hold, plus remove any shrinkage in the hood before printing and flashing again.