Author Topic: Squeegee and holder ink buildup.  (Read 1192 times)

Offline patfinn

• Verified/Junior
Squeegee and holder ink buildup.
« on: November 08, 2012, 11:02:36 AM »
has anyone ever tried to put a bead of silicone or caulk on the edge between the holder and where the squeegee goes in? doing this to prevent old ink that didnt get cleaned out as well as it should have from getting into a new job and creating streaks.
all i print is waterbase so I am not so worried about the silicone getting broken down with cleaning.

let me know if anyone has every tried this.
Patrick Lashbrook
M&R Sales and Service
Technical Sales Associate
patrick.lashbrook@mrprint.com

Offline Zelko-4-EVA

Re: Squeegee and holder ink buildup.
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 11:15:36 AM »
i tried it once - i put the caulk on the ends of the squeegee.  it never cured enough (maybe i used too much or something). 

i ended up using packing tape to cover the ends and the edge between holder and squeegee. 

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 11:19:44 AM »
Silicone will eventually break off and bits fall into the ink
Fail

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 12:03:40 PM »
I do remember some using silicone to initially bond the blade to the handle. Wiping off any excess might still achieve the desired seal, without the eventual break-off fail.

That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline 244

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 02:37:49 PM »
has anyone ever tried to put a bead of silicone or caulk on the edge between the holder and where the squeegee goes in? doing this to prevent old ink that didnt get cleaned out as well as it should have from getting into a new job and creating streaks.
all i print is waterbase so I am not so worried about the silicone getting broken down with cleaning.

let me know if anyone has every tried this.
Might want to try this. With this system you can remove the squeegee in seconds for proper cleaning. Total time to disassemble and reassemble a squeegee is under 30 seconds! http://youtu.be/lzyG7ovltUY
Rich Hoffman

Offline danlilsade

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2012, 04:29:48 PM »
If you cut the urethane about 1/4"  too long (1/8" on each end) and trim it clean (a brand new razor blade)  after assembly cleaning is pretty easy.  It's cutting it short that makes it a chore.