Author Topic: what is the closest pantone for the blue in the american flag?  (Read 2303 times)

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
what is the closest pantone for the blue in the american flag?
« on: November 15, 2012, 11:31:35 AM »
I don't have a flag in my shop. I probably should but if anyone has one could you check and see what the closest pantone is to it? Thanks

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
Re: what is the closest pantone for the blue in the american flag?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 11:44:15 AM »
In the Pantone system the colors are: Blue PMS 282 and Red PMS 193.
[/size]
[/size]From http://www.usflag.org/flagspecs.html
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 11:45:32 AM »
hmmm, according to the label on the ink I mixed and always use, it's 281
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 11:49:33 AM »
I believe that the discrepancy may be due to the fact that poor Betsy Ross was limited to CYMK, or RGB equivalents, and when the Pantone system came along, there was no perfect match.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 11:51:27 AM »

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 12:00:22 PM »
Sometimes, Pantone Matching System (PMS) approximations to the flag colors are used. One set was given on the website of the U.S. embassy in London as early as 1998; the website of the U.S. embassy in Stockholm claimed in 2001 that those had been suggested by Pantone, and that the U.S. Government Printing Office preferred a different set. A third red was suggested by a California Military Department document in 2002.[12] In 2001, the Texas legislature specified that the colors of the Texas flag should be "(1) the same colors used in the United States flag; and (2) defined as numbers 193 (red) and 281 (dark blue) of the Pantone Matching System."[13]

Pantone Approximations[14]
Source   PMS      CIELAB D50   
U.S. Emb., London   193 C      281 C      
U.S. Emb., Stockholm   186 C   288 C      
CA Mil. Dept.   200 C      
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 12:00:54 PM »
Frog beat me to it . . .

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Command-Z

• !!!
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, 12:11:55 PM »
I don't know, but I mentioned this on Facebook... If Puerto Rico becomes a state and we have to add a star, I hope they provide the vector files. In Corel AND Illustrator.
Design, Illustration and Color Separation for the Imprinted Apparel Industry for over 20 years. SeibelStudio.com
 Custom art not in the budget? Check out Bad Bonz Designs

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2012, 12:41:51 PM »
I don't know, but I mentioned this on Facebook... If Puerto Rico becomes a state and we have to add a star, I hope they provide the vector files. In Corel AND Illustrator.

Don't sweat it, but much to the chagrin of flag makers anticipating a windfall market, the timing will be such to coincide with the secession from the Union by Texas, keeping our nice round even total number of stars.

btw, true conny-sewers of textile color standards and collectors of old documents may like this item http://www.ebay.com/itm/1921-Textile-Color-Card-Association-Rare-Color-Card-/160578879153

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2012, 12:52:12 PM »
Great I already have some 281 on the shelf. Thanks guys!

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2012, 01:43:29 PM »

Don't sweat it, but much to the chagrin of flag makers anticipating a windfall market, the timing will be such to coincide with the secession from the Union by Texas, keeping our nice round even total number of stars.

btw, true conny-sewers of textile color standards and collectors of old documents may like this item http://www.ebay.com/itm/1921-Textile-Color-Card-Association-Rare-Color-Card-/160578879153

Actually Puerto Rico has started a movement to cut all ties with the US

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2012, 03:59:41 PM »

:)
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline ScreenPrinter123

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2012, 11:42:51 PM »

I heard on the radio this week that Louisiana has enough signatures to secede.  Trading our federal government for our state government as the final authority is like watching a worm swallow its own tail - maybe it'd work in other states, but we'd have just as many problems then. If Texas seceded, I'd set up shop in Round Rock and run the table.