Author Topic: Any one using a Canon ImagePROGRAF for film output?  (Read 2993 times)

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
Any one using a Canon ImagePROGRAF for film output?
« on: November 19, 2012, 01:12:36 PM »
I just got a screaming deal on a Canon IPF650 (24 inch print width) and It doesn't want to print cut sheet transparencies? It can't find the edge of the page. Any help would be great.

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Any one using a Canon ImagePROGRAF for film output?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 01:18:38 PM »
In the past, I have seen printers that required a white sensing strip on transparencies. In fact, I thought that my HP9800 did, and ordered those films for some time before realizing
that they were unnecessary.
There should be something in the documentation about this.
Cannon was good to deal with back when I needed their help for cameras as well as printers.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 01:25:52 PM »
I read that last night. There has to be a work around or some other way. I don't want to buy special film. I know guys are using these for printing film. All the rip software support them. When you print roll film does it need to detect the paper edge also? This is a little frustrating. I figured it would work just like my other canon printer.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 01:28:06 PM »
ask sonny, he always advocated canon printers.

and hey maybe it won't blatantly waste media like the epsonsn

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 04:26:46 PM »
On Epsons you can adjust the sensitivity of the "eye". Ours is in a bright area so we had to adjust it
down to see films. I would imagine Canon has something similar.

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 05:07:01 PM »
On Epsons you can adjust the sensitivity of the "eye". Ours is in a bright area so we had to adjust it
down to see films. I would imagine Canon has something similar.

You print cut sheets? Does it do the same thing when printing rolls? I don't want to buy a roll just to try it and see I have the same issue. I really want to get this thing up a running. It prints alot better dots then my Canon pro9000.

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 06:27:02 PM »
Roll only, but on the larger Epsons it does the same dance no matter what you use.

I would imagine that a cut sheet, using a mechanical sensor wouldn't care if the media is
transparent or not. If it works with paper, I'd bet it's the eye that needs adjusting.

I've got a roll of non-waterproof that didn't work for us, send me a UPS label and it's yours.

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 06:32:55 PM »
ya its doing it with the cut sheets. The media choice does not have transparencies on it. Maybe they don't print transparencies. If you want to give away the roll I will take it off your hands. I will email you my fedex number. I will have to call canon and see what they say tomorrow.

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 07:29:37 PM »
No worries on the roll, but you're going to have to make it easier on me than that. UPS or
setup FedEx to get it. We don't do FedEx.

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 07:35:59 PM »
I will personally come get it. I wouldn't mind seeing your shop. I will see what I can do.

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2012, 08:12:21 PM »
Excellent.

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2012, 08:47:13 PM »
I switched to a Canon printer after too many headaches with my Epson. Can't help you with the roll problem, but for media type mine has the photo paper option. They're nice printers, but I can't get them to print nearly as dark as an Epson. When I can afford it I'm going with a 4900. If anyone knows how to make a Canon print darker films, let me know.

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2012, 10:20:50 PM »
I switched to a Canon printer after too many headaches with my Epson. Can't help you with the roll problem, but for media type mine has the photo paper option. They're nice printers, but I can't get them to print nearly as dark as an Epson. When I can afford it I'm going with a 4900. If anyone knows how to make a Canon print darker films, let me know.

Is yours a ImagePROGRAF? I have a pro9000 and it prints films fine and are very dark. I just went in my printer settings and made a custom profile. In the color/intensity manual settings I upped the Intensity and contract to about 75 percent. You can also up CMY setting to make it darker. I usually don't mess with them. My film on my pro9000 comes out really dark. I lightened my settings a few months back to save on ink.

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2012, 10:45:35 PM »
I have an ix6500. I saw the custom profile selection but didn't see much about the intensity, but I'll check into that tomorrow when I print out some films. Thank you.

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2012, 11:00:20 PM »
On mine its on the "Main" page. You have to go into the manual settings. Its the same on my new printer so yours has to have it. Just max out the Intensity and contract or saturation and contrast. That will make the films really dark. after you print a few go in and back off so you don't just waist ink. I have 4 years on my pro9000 without one clog or problem. I leave it on almost all the time. I only got this new one because I want to be able to print 15 inch wide film and have the ability to print up to 20 inch wide in the near future for personal projects and select clients. (starting a preprint line this next year.)