Author Topic: How do you measure EOM  (Read 1821 times)

Offline T Shirt Farmer

How do you measure EOM
« on: November 20, 2012, 07:42:35 PM »
What tool do you use to measure EOM ? How many of you have one? Do you check the values on your screens often? How and when will this knowledge be of value?

Thanks,

Robert
Robert
allpremiums.com
Your Source for Decorated Apparel.

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
Re: How do you measure EOM
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 08:00:29 PM »
What tool do you use to measure EOM ?
I have the 1st GEN HighLine Paint Thickness Meter Gauge http://highlinemeter.com 
Not a pro one but accurate enough to show you what your doing. Anything more is an over kill IMO.

How many of you have one?
Not sure how many on here have them. I know the ones that say what EOM they are running have them. Its mostly the guys that are trying to improve or fine tune their process that would even buy one.

Do you check the values on your screens often?
No. I did when I first got it but now I kind of know where I am at just by looking through the screen at a light. You only use it when your having problems or what to improve.

How and when will this knowledge be of value?
The only reason I have one is to know if my EOM is right. I got mine when I was having a ton of issues printing enough ink on my auto. With out a Thickness Gauge you can't communicate what your EOM is and if you need more or if your good. I was low and that was a part of my issues. When someone tells you to have 10 to 15 percent EOM (50 to 1000 percent if your Alan) you have no idea what that is. This tool lets you know.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 08:04:17 PM by Screened Gear »

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 10:55:29 PM »
I picked up a rebadged off amazon for a good bit cheaper than highline... probably both made in the same factory in china.

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 06:37:43 AM »
mooseman disclaimer.......we are a dumb thumb spot printer.........quality & high volume printers need not read on

We measure with a calibrated finger, really you can get a "good feel" for the EOM by simply "fingering" the edge of the stencil.
Let me back you up a bit however, the best way to measure EOM is at the coating stage by two very important elements, screen tension & coating technique.
You have to start with properly  tensioned screens, if the screen is low tension the lay down of the emulsion will not be even.
Next don't get caught up in I can get good eom with a 1 / 1 coating.

get a good quality scoop coater and keep it at least 2/3rds full.

If you are shooting at a strong EOM don't start with a $30.00 gallon of emulsion, if you start with economical (cheap) emulsion your results will show poorly when you apply your $200.00 meter.

Look  closely at your coating results after each pass be honest with your self about the deposit of emulsion. we coat 3 on  top & 2 on the shirt side because we find we get consistant results and nice heavy stencils this way.

Higher mesh counts require slower more deliberate coating relative to low mesh count screens where you can almost throw the coating on.

My point here is good EOM starts with the elements and technique at the coating stage,
quality emulsion,
 good mostly full coater
   watch what works when you apply the coating
     more care on higher mesh counts

back check your results...look at your dried screen before you expose it, if you can read a book through it all the meters in the world are not going to help you, you were done at the coating table.

Look at your stencil closely, run your finger over an edge if you don't feel a sharp well defined egde there most likely isn't one there. the squeegee side of the stencil should offer virtually no edge feel at all while you should feel some real edgeness on the shirt side.

if you get these results you will not need a meter to back check your results but a meter will certainly help you measure an unknown and assign a numeric value to your results.

mooseman

« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 06:48:14 AM by mooseman »
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 08:32:28 AM »
I was going to recommend a tape measure if I was the first to post.  You might be able to borrow one from somebody here.  You pay for shipping to and from...and pay for it if it gets lost, damaged or stolen.

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2012, 11:34:47 AM »
We've got the highline II.  I check ours frequently just to make sure we're not overcoating or undercoating.  I use 15-25% EOMR on most everything, but lower mesh screens get the thick treatment most of the time to increase wet ink deposit.  It's not for everybody.  I'll go ahead and tell you that if you use the glisten/shiny method to coat your screens, regardless of mesh count and don't get caught up in 1/1 or 2/2 or 3/1, just use the glisten method then your screens will be at the 20% eomr and you've got little to worry about.  Go less EOMR (15% on average) on higher mesh counts and higher EOMR (25-50%) on lower mesh counts that you want to deposit a good amount of ink.  Just remember, stencil thickness isn't the only determining factor of wet ink deposit and it doesn't factor in on those really big, open area prints.  You typically add about 30 microns eom for every additional coat on the squeegee side.  Well, with thicker emulsions you do.  The thinner dual cures give you much less eom per coat.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.