Author Topic: You really want the truth? Can you handle it?  (Read 3301 times)

AdvancedArtist

You really want the truth? Can you handle it?
« on: November 26, 2012, 09:44:23 PM »
Screen Printing and Color...

Color Space Color Gamuts Color Models and Screen Printing

?

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Re: You really want the truth? Can you handle it?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 10:30:06 PM »
Seems like I missed at least some of the point there--why would a separator be taking an image in sRGB and changing it to a CMYK color model with a web or offset profile to then separate from?

Sounds odd to me.  Although I guess many printers do things that seem odd to me, and I doubt the feeling is exclusive.   ;D 

AdvancedArtist

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 11:03:00 PM »
You have to understand that you have pointed out the point.. PS moves color in color models that do fit our industry and then the ability to pull color based on easy to use accurate tools are gone. The color has to be brought back.. thus the complicated Sim Process work flow that should have never existed if the right color spaces and color models had been applied.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 11:20:26 PM by AdvancedArtist »

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 10:31:27 AM »
Tis how I learned to seperate.

Saturate colors in RGB mode then CMYK it with my custom color profile then get to work in channels pulling out colors.
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 11:03:57 AM »
I don't see why you would go to CMYK and separate from there, it just seems wrong in the first place, it already has removed so much color. I've always known that CMYK loses a ton of color when converting from RGB, so what am I missing here? I might add that I don't use CD and don't know my way around it (I'm an Illy/PS guy on a Mac). When I first learned simulated (I have a problem with that term, since CMYK is also a simulation) I would duplicate the RGB file, then separate that into CMYK, which would give me 7 channels to start with, then go from there, Calculations and Curves would let me build what I needed. Laborious, yes, to a point, but the knowledge gained is worth it. I have a copy of X6, which I tried running on the Mac using Fusion, but it's such a dog, that I'm going to uninstall and put it on the office PC eventually where I'm sure it will run correctly. Finding the time is another issue, as I really don't want to have to learn the way CD does things, but if I can save some time later with the new technique, I'm at least open to listening...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 12:12:55 PM »
I guess I don't think of any workflow as "wrong", if it works it works, some things work better, or more easily. 
The color models discussed can be used in Adobe stuff as well, in fact as I understand it, Photoshop for some number of versions now stores data in a LAB model, and the profiles just change how it shows a proof and/or how it outputs separations.

It just struck me as unusual that it was implied that converting an original RGB with an offset profile was standard procedure.   Although I wish I could say I've never seen it.   ;D

Offline Command-Z

• !!!
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 01:19:40 PM »
I think this is actually really cool. So, DRAW has a channel mixer that allows you to mix channels by changing colorspaces on the fly, rather than PS's, which locks you into the document's color mode?

Design, Illustration and Color Separation for the Imprinted Apparel Industry for over 20 years. SeibelStudio.com
 Custom art not in the budget? Check out Bad Bonz Designs

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 03:43:28 PM »
I guess I don't think of any workflow as "wrong", if it works it works, some things work better, or more easily. 
The color models discussed can be used in Adobe stuff as well, in fact as I understand it, Photoshop for some number of versions now stores data in a LAB model, and the profiles just change how it shows a proof and/or how it outputs separations.

It just struck me as unusual that it was implied that converting an original RGB with an offset profile was standard procedure.   Although I wish I could say I've never seen it.   ;D

I guess that's what I meant come to think of it. That and the loss of so many colors when converting; but, as Scott points out, the Channel Mixer is pretty cool. At least it doesn't get boring when it comes to "how to do" things. There's always new thinking and techniques. If only it wasn't so easy to get comfortable...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

AdvancedArtist

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 11:10:05 PM »
Lets look a little deeper shall we.. HSB and DRAW are like good friends. Can do in PS but not as easily.

Simulated Process Color Separations of Flesh Tones with HSB in CorelDRAW only two colors.