Author Topic: 100% AND 50/50  (Read 2625 times)

Offline larryk

• !!!
100% AND 50/50
« on: December 06, 2012, 11:17:14 AM »
Maybe this has already been discussed but .... what would you guys do on an order that has booth 100% T's and 50/50 hoodies? I had some purple I did last week and the T's came out ok but the hoodies were not up to par. Sericol texcharge white at 6% by weight on a 160 screen..... on another note.. same order... Just for the heck of it I thought I would give the design a little "pull test".... the shirt ripped like it was nothing! What the heck!.... so I checked some others and some would rip and others would not.... so after a frantic call to Its a Little Crooked we decided they spent too much time in the dryer with too much heat. I ordered a heat gun to check the temp since then.... anyone else experience that? In case you couldn't tell I am just starting with this whole wb and dc thing.......... but I like it.

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: 100% AND 50/50
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 11:44:25 AM »
Be careful and be up front with the customer that the results wil vary from garment to garment. You should do that anyways but with WB I really cram it down their pie hole so that in a situation like you have they will be fully aware. If it is too far off after a test of one then I get approval from them before continuing.

Did the shirt rip where the ink was deposited? What brand of shirt?
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline larryk

• !!!
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 11:55:13 AM »
Yep... right where it was printed and then all the way down the shirt.... Gildan 5000's

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 12:22:09 PM »
Thats strange. I have ran them hot enough to actually scorch the hell out of it on purpose to see what it did and it did not burn through. Crazy. Dont know what to say. Have you called Sericol?
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline larryk

• !!!
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 03:53:46 PM »
This felt like it was scorched... stiff as heck. Have you ever tried to stretch or pull on a garment that was scorched? I've never had it do that on regular plastisol, just thought it was kinda weird. I really haven't had any luck at Sericol-Fuji with anyone knowing much more than the prices on their stuff. I just ordered a gallon of every color they make in the Texcharge ink and my rep has never called me to check on it or anything....... I love the ink but I guess the problem solving is up to me..... or us!

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2012, 04:05:23 PM »
Would have used a DC UB and high mesh reduced white top coat for that. Good smooth hand and consistent results across the board

Offline patfinn

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 04:29:17 PM »
def agree with tony.. thats a good way to get more consistant results with not that great color tees
Patrick Lashbrook
M&R Sales and Service
Technical Sales Associate
patrick.lashbrook@mrprint.com

Offline larryk

• !!!
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2012, 04:44:01 PM »
Top coat of plastisol?

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2012, 10:39:36 PM »
He used a discharge white guys. No plastisol.
www.inkwerksspd.com

Offline Itsa Little CrOoked

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2012, 11:03:07 PM »
This felt like it was scorched... stiff as heck. Have you ever tried to stretch or pull on a garment that was scorched? I've never had it do that on regular plastisol, just thought it was kinda weird. I really haven't had any luck at Sericol-Fuji with anyone knowing much more than the prices on their stuff. I just ordered a gallon of every color they make in the Texcharge ink and my rep has never called me to check on it or anything....... I love the ink but I guess the problem solving is up to me..... or us!

Larry, did you ever get hold of Gail at Sericol? She has been in the industry a while, and appears to me to be very knowledgable. She ran a discharge shop years ago.  I'm reluctant to post her extension number, but give me a jingle if you don't have it.

You know, after we talked about this, I have scratched my head.  If you have a sample, I believe I'd send it to KC and see what happens if you can't figure it out on your own.  By what you wrote, and our phone conversation, I'm still thinking scorch. Especially with an infrared dryer.  Shoot several shirts under the last heater panel with that Raytek MiniTemp (lying flat, not 4 folded) and get a feel for how hot you are right at that point, NOT THE POINT OF EXIT. It might take some gymnastics depending on your dryer.  The Raytek is clearly the best of the four temp probes I've owned. It is FAST, consistent, and accurate. With MUCH testing, you'll be dumbstruck how much your infrared dryer will vary during a run, from one shirt inside, to belt-full edge to edge. You've got to learn that. That's just our lot in life, as electric dryer owners.  ;)

I'm breaking ALL the rules for Discharge, (manual printing, electric dryer) but persistence and wash testing and tweaking, tweaking the temps and dwell speed has gotten some excellent results. 

I'm with JBlue on how odd this problem seems.  I've seen the ink crack from too heavy a deposit, but never a fabric rip.  DEFINITELY post back your results on this one...

Stan

PS... I can't wait to see the WB and DC article you alluded to in the Spring.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 11:10:25 PM by Itsa Little CrOoked »

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2012, 06:04:05 AM »
He used a discharge white guys. No plastisol.

Which is why i suggested the DC UB with top coat plastisol. Would have solved the problem

Offline larryk

• !!!
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2012, 12:08:52 PM »
Thanks Tony... I will try that next time.I don't think Gail is with them anymore Stan.

Offline Itsa Little CrOoked

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2012, 01:54:06 PM »
I don't think Gail is with them anymore Stan.

Shame, that.  I just called to verify, and you're right. 

However even though she is no longer in Tech Services, she is still with the company in another capacity.  I couldn't reach her, and the woman who DID answer was hard to understand.