Author Topic: 1400 and larger output printers  (Read 1655 times)

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
1400 and larger output printers
« on: December 07, 2012, 09:05:50 AM »
Last night our primary 1400 stopped working with an error something has exceeded its life span (or something like that). No biggie, just set up our other one we use for sublimation, switched out the ink did a few test prints and were back up and running.

With that being said I think it's time we get a new film printer. We would like to get one with a roll feed, at least 17" or better yet 24".

If we go to a roll feed can we adjust our settings to be able to cut the films where we need to or will it shoot out a full sheet (if we are printing a 6"x 14" image can we set the printer to only feed 7"and then cut it off or will it feed a whole sheet)

Any suggestions, pros, cons? We use Acurip and a bulk ink system. I have been looking at the 7700 and 7890 for a roll feed machine or maybe a 3880 or 4900 if we decide to go with sheets again.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
Re: 1400 and larger output printers
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 09:21:06 AM »
Last night our primary 1400 stopped working with an error something has exceeded its life span (or something like that). No biggie, just set up our other one we use for sublimation, switched out the ink did a few test prints and were back up and running.

With that being said I think it's time we get a new film printer. We would like to get one with a roll feed, at least 17" or better yet 24".

If we go to a roll feed can we adjust our settings to be able to cut the films where we need to or will it shoot out a full sheet (if we are printing a 6"x 14" image can we set the printer to only feed 7"and then cut it off or will it feed a whole sheet)

Any suggestions, pros, cons? We use Acurip and a bulk ink system. I have been looking at the 7700 and 7890 for a roll feed machine or maybe a 3880 or 4900 if we decide to go with sheets again.

We use the 7700.  The films come out printed great.  It does waste a little film though.  When loading a new roll it will check to make sure it is straight and cut off approximately 6 inches of it for you to throw away.  Other than that to me it's great.
It's not a job if you love doing it.

Offline Itsa Little CrOoked

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 09:41:50 AM »
I have a spare New In Box 1400, but I dislike having to tile prints together for oversized stuff. I wish I had 24" roll machine too, but Real Estate in my office/separation room/fileserver room/cut vinyl room/film positive printroom (whew!) is running scarce.

It's also the headquarters for Her Royale Highness, Madame Josie Cocker, (ALL RISE!) QUEEN Over All She Surveys.....or so she thinks, and the defacto Chief Of Shop Security and Doggie Treats.

So just how much bigger are those large format printers? 3 times? 4 times?

Offline inkstain

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 12:10:58 PM »

I went through a couple 1400's over a few yrs.  They worked, but like you, it came to a weird ending.  It was time to upgrade.  I wanted to be able to print on rolls and have a wider print, 17".  I went with the 4900 a few months ago and I am so stoked I did.  I use accurip with it on a mac.  It works awesome!  I have all black cartridges which is awesome cause them cartridges are big and last a long time.  Haven't had to replace or refill any.  I remember the 1400 being a headache cause I'd have to refill so much.  I don't use sheets, but use 17" rolls which is amazing.  You can gang up all your designs and print away.  Just have to make sure before printing to have your page setup set to the size of the layout of print you're doing, if that makes any sense. 

If you have any questions about the 4900 feel free to ask.
Cheers!

Offline Shawn (EIP)

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 12:15:12 PM »
The only downside to the 4900 is that it so freaking huge and takes up a lot of space if you have a small office. the size of this thing is mind boggling for any extra 4" wider in film output. It takes 2 people to lift this thing.

Offline Socalfmf

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way!
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 12:18:31 PM »
DTS!

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 01:39:41 PM »
DTS!

I was waiting for your ROI numbers before I pulled the trigger. ;)

Offline inkstain

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 07:32:05 PM »
The only downside to the 4900 is that it so freaking huge and takes up a lot of space if you have a small office. the size of this thing is mind boggling for any extra 4" wider in film output. It takes 2 people to lift this thing.

Haha so true!  Find a place, and it stays there.  Another cool thing about doing rolls is you can go however vertical length, rather then 18 or 19 inches.  Killer for ganging up designs.

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2012, 08:58:49 PM »
I have a 7880 and an old 3000. Any scraps of film from the 7880 get used for small prints through the 3000. We do lot's of small graphic parts printing in screen and pad printing so we always use the scraps right down to 6" x 4".

I do love the 7880, it does a great job, it's printing a few dozen feet of film right now as I hit print, locked up and came home.
Wishin' I was Fishin'