Author Topic: Anato Lightning Manual press grinding while spinning pallets  (Read 3737 times)

Offline XG Print

Anato Lightning Manual press grinding while spinning pallets
« on: December 08, 2012, 04:03:49 PM »
We just recently acquired a 6/6 Anatol Lightning manual press.  So far the press is a dream....Registration is spot and and the micros are super smooth.  The only problem we are having is the spring bolt that indexes the platens into place is grinding something awful while spinning the platens....We have taken it off and the table spins smooth as silk, but when we reinstall and adjust the locking spring into place it is good for a while but then will start grinding again....Ridiculous design for such a nice press.  Anyone out there seen this before and have an idea??  Thanks

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Anato Lightning Manual press grinding while spinning pallets
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 04:33:20 PM »
I'm assuming that this is a spring loaded thigie, that rests in a shallow detent when in correct indexing position. If faulty, and hanging up, can it scrape the stand or other part of the press when rotated?
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 04:39:08 PM »
Presuming it's the same as the one on our Thunder:

What's going on is the metal of the big spring nose plunger is harder than the metal on the underside of that table.  It's grinding away the powder coating and next it will grind away at the metal and start wearing a groove, shearing off little metal shavings.  I'm no engineer but I know damn well that the spring nose should be softer than whatever it is contacting so you replace that part if it wears out, not the whole bottom plate of the spider. 

The simple fix is, whenever you hear the sound or feel it catch you get under there and wipe away all the old grease and shavings from the underside and the spring nose.  Reapply a band of new grease (I use Super Lube for this) and repeat as needed.  The grease will keep catching shavings and you'll need to keep wiping down and replacing it.

My assumption is that, as the years wear on, you'll wind up with a groove so deep under the spider that you'll need to either replace it or have some one tack on new metal for you.  Way to go Anatol!

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2012, 05:07:32 PM »
Zoo is right on the money. If the press is new I'd be haunting Anatol until it was fixed properly, not just a band aid but a permant solution so you don't have problems down the road.

Offline XG Print

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2012, 08:49:55 PM »
Zoo you are right on the money....I wish the press was new and I would contact Anatol but I know they aren't going to do anything since this press is about 3 yrs old although it looks brand new.  I have taken the spring mechanism apart and the freaking spring inside this thing is way to strong for this application.  A softer spring would mean much less friction on the bottom of the plate.  I'm also thinking about some type of Teflon coating for the top of the ball so it will not be metal on metal.  Stupid that such a nice press has to be rigged up but I can't look back now!!

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2012, 08:56:54 PM »
You say ball, does the ball spin? If it spins it shouldn't be to big an issue, but if its static wow.

My manual uses a hard rubber caster wheel under spring pressure, it's as smooth as silk. Seems like a simple thing for any press Manu to figure out.
"No man is an island"

Offline XG Print

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2012, 09:21:38 PM »
Nope the ball is static.  I wish some of the people at Anatol could read some of this....An easy correction to their Thunder and Lightning presses would put them at the top of the class in manual presses.   I wish the customer service department would match the quality of the product.......Great press with 1 easily fixed problem an engineer could redo in 30 minutes????  Mystery to me!!!

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2012, 09:47:03 PM »
Does it look something like this, but bigger and with a fine thread.

Offline XG Print

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2012, 09:56:22 PM »
Yes...That's pretty close.......The threaded part is about an inch and a half in diameter and then there is a sliding block on the inside with a steel rounded tip.  This sliding tip sits on top of a spring that is inside of the large threaded bolt.

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2012, 10:09:51 PM »
It is a bull nose plunger, not a ball in the end? Needs grease and to be adjusted for just enough friction for the plunger to pop into the detents to let you know when to stop the pallets. It sounds like lack of care not poor design. May have to clean everything real good, file or sand out any nicks or gaul marks apply some new grease and just maintain it.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2012, 11:10:02 PM »
The spring nose plunger is big and solid and it drags along the bottom plate and then pops up into the indentations for each station. 

You can adjust it easily but it will keep building up the shavings.  Mine does the exact same thing as described here.

It's not so much the design of it as it is the way they spec'd it out- the plunger nose being a harder metal than the base plate and grinding away at it.  And mine had powder coating over it's area of travel with is just plain retarded.

I agree, half an hour of thinking would solve so much for them.  Posting here is actually the best way to get them to pay any attention it appears.  I had major issues for almost a year that they just would not/could not resolve, posted here and things got rolling within hours.   This is a bad operating plan for them as there will be all these searchable posts about the issues with their machines, I hate to watch a company just lose money from missing simple things but, hey, we all run businesses and know how things can slip away from you sometimes.   

Offline jason-23

• FONTNINJA
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2012, 09:16:48 PM »
I love my vastex more and more when I read about anatol problems. I was really looking at a anatol auto awhile back too. Vastex has  basically a skate board wheel on a bracket that pivots with a spring load tension .

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2012, 10:51:24 PM »
My Workhorse has one of those spring loaded ball bolt things,  under each head, pointing down, and an aluminum block with a dimple facing up on the fixed stand.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline XG Print

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2012, 11:45:51 AM »
I have a call in to Anatol and the guy said they may have an update so I will keep you posted when they call me back...

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2012, 12:05:46 PM »
I would allso call the person you bought the press from, they may have did something to it before you got it, never know.

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!