Author Topic: Difference between Newman MZX no powder coat or color v.s. the blue ones?  (Read 1886 times)

Offline Fresh Baked Printing

• "Tattoo Free Since 1965"
Difference between Newman MZX, all aluminum, no powder coat or color to them v.s. the blue one?
50% of the time I'm 100% right.
http://www.spiffylab.com

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
The one's with the composite ends are pretty crappy. They can't take much torque, and hence tension.
Odd sized wrench, etc. etc.

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
The ones mentioned in the post by ebscreen were the original ones, I think. I've never seen one, but I guess there are still some out there. The ones I have seen and bought came in 3 flavors . . . first were the blue anodized aluminum ones, then the blue powdercoated ones. These incorporated the original small rubber or plastic seals where the bolts passed into the threaded sockets that kept water out of the tubes. The newest ones are raw aluminum, thinner tube material, lighter, and can be identified by the black bolts that are used to assemble them. The threaded sockets in the tube end plugs are sealed inside by the way they are cast, eliminating the need for gaskets or seals. As the tube material is thinner, the corner pieces are cast in such a way as to slightly deform the tubes outward upon tightening the bolts to overcome the tendency of the mesh to warp the tubes inward. You do have to compensate a little for the increase in tension to the mesh when tightening the bolts.
There are also lookalike frames sold by Sefar, made in China, which are "silver" in color. These are substantially heavier, and while they work well, I found that some of the threaded sockets bottomed out too soon, necessitating the need for some washers under a couple of the bolts, which then tends to interfere with the adjacent bolt. For the slight different in savings, I will opt for the Newman frames if and when I buy any new ones.
All things considered, I like the used anodized blue ones I've collected the best. Most of the powdercoated ones I bought were so encrusted with filth that I had to use paint remover to clean them up, stripping the powdercoat off in the process.
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Offline inkbrigade

Hey, did you still want to buy those frames i boxed up for ya? haha! Let me know.
-------------------------------
Wish List / Let me know if your selling any of the following:  Newman (Stretch Devices) Orange Screen Racks and Press Carts
Saturn Screen Racks / Press Cart

Offline Fresh Baked Printing

• "Tattoo Free Since 1965"
Hey, did you still want to buy those frames i boxed up for ya? haha! Let me know.
Yep, I do. I'll send you those files too. My head hurts trying to figure out where everything is :)
50% of the time I'm 100% right.
http://www.spiffylab.com