Author Topic: squeegee  (Read 2524 times)

Offline terryei

• !!!
squeegee
« on: June 08, 2011, 09:41:23 PM »
manual or automatic?
do you sharpen them?
how often?
How do you sharpen them?
replace when?
terry

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: squeegee
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 11:07:55 PM »
auto. do not sharpen, but replace often, few times per year. thinking about the sharpener . . .

Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 03:29:03 AM »
I print manually. I have about 12 squeegees, I use 4 of them most of the time. I have never sharpened them. They still print as good as when I started. (I push stroke) I have aluminum handles that hold the blade nice and tight. I did read somewhere that you should only print with a squeegee for 4 hours at a time. Not sure why, maybe the friction builds heat and softens the print edge or something like that. I can’t imagine stopping and changing the squeegees after 4 hours.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 06:14:50 AM »
I am of the school of replacing not sharpening. Most squeegee material is extruded not cut therefore it is a sealed blade. Once "sharpened" the blade is now exposed to chemical abrasion. Not always detrimental but it can be. Also to truly sharpen the blade it requires several steps using different bits (I'm referring to the diamond sharpeners) and I'd rather spend my time doing something more profitable. New blades are'nt that expensive. That's how I roll others will disagree I expect.

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 01:36:16 PM »
Question here? I have aluminum squeegees that are not welded but they have screws to tighten up the blade and there is only one way to hold the squeegee so I always print with one edge of the blade. I know that I could flip the blade around to use other side, but my question is, could I use all 4 sides because I always print and flood with one side?
Manual printer here.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 01:54:39 PM »
Yes and maybe no. Some squeegee holders are made with grooves along the inside to ensure good grip. When removing the blade tou may notice these grooves permanently embedded in the blade. Usually won't affect the print but a pain to clean.
tp

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 08:37:17 AM »
OK. I see what you are saying.
But, could you use the other side of the blade that is outside the holder. This is the one I use, and there is only one way to print with it and the blade that is away from you is not getting used. Could the plastisol damage it even without it touching the screen.

I hope that I explained this OK  :o

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2011, 08:48:03 AM »
plastisol(other than process colors) won't harm a blade.  it's the chemicals used on them like paint thinner and acetone that do more damage.  Yes, you can absolutely flip that blade around and you should.

Mineral spirits/paint thinner will turn a blade into a gummy sticky mess over time.  I would avoid it and use real deal press wash, your blades and health will thank you.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2011, 08:49:57 AM »
Not at all........you can remove and reverse the blade. Then replace when needed which should not be that often.

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2011, 08:51:19 AM »
plastisol(other than process colors) won't harm a blade.  it's the chemicals used on them like paint thinner and acetone that do more damage.  Yes, you can absolutely flip that blade around and you should.

Mineral spirits/paint thinner will turn a blade into a gummy sticky mess over time.  I would avoid it and use real deal press wash, your blades and health will thank you.
No mineral spirits and paint thinners in my shop :) I have few cans of pallet spray in case I have to print hoodies or swets, and I have a few cans of screen opener for hard to open screens.

Offline squeegee

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2011, 09:00:18 AM »
We sharpen ours at least once or twice a year or more if needed.