Author Topic: What brand or type of bolt mesh would you buy?  (Read 2242 times)

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
What brand or type of bolt mesh would you buy?
« on: December 27, 2012, 08:14:17 PM »
I am having a hard time trying to find newman flash panels for the 25x36 rollers I have.  The most common seems to be for 23x31 frames.  Any suggestions as to the best type/brand and where to get it?
It's not a job if you love doing it.

Offline screenprintguy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Constantly thanking the Lord!
Re: What brand or type of bolt mesh would you buy?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 08:53:32 PM »
if you want pre-made panels, you can order direct from here http://shurloc.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=SFS&Product_Code=SL_ECON_PAN_25x36_M3&Category_Code=SL1-PANEL

if you want bolt, we have been using saati mesh, murikami is awesome as well. we order from Screen Process of Alabama, but there are a few suppliers right here on this forum that are great as well, Scott from spot color supply, and Sonny from Xenon products.
Evolutionary Screen Printing & Embroidery
3521 Waterfield Parkway Lakeland, Fl. 33803 www.evolutionaryscreenprinting.com

Offline patfinn

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 08:56:39 PM »
murakami S mesh is best in my opinion.  you can get them made from shur loc no problem. i would think shur loc could also make panels if you supplied them with Newman mesh
Patrick Lashbrook
M&R Sales and Service
Technical Sales Associate
patrick.lashbrook@mrprint.com

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 08:59:08 PM »
We just bought a ton of pre-made newman panels. we'll be putting them in this week.

Also Xenon Mesh has been pretty great to us.
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2012, 10:14:27 PM »
murakami S mesh is best in my opinion.  you can get them made from shur loc no problem. i would think shur loc could also make panels if you supplied them with Newman mesh

I had Shurloc make up a bunch of panels from bolt mesh I'd bought off eBay from a shop  that was closing. They got more panels out of the material I supplied than I'd have gotten tearing and installing it myself using the retaining strips.
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2012, 10:42:54 PM »

+1....and they do a pretty good job.  Not cheap to get the S mesh on panels though even though they apparently stock it.  I enjoyed the big box I ordered last year but probably wouldn't spend that bank again v. taking a day to load up mesh.  Rock the bolt if you are, or you have staff that are, efficient at loading it.

Avoid actual Newman Roller Mesh unless you want to run it at 45n +.  It's thread diameter is nearly identical to standard "T" meshes; it's strength is in it's ability to go to ultra high tension and not bust constantly.  Running it at normal tensions is probably not worth it, although it is extremely durable compared to other meshes at any tension.   Murakami's standard "T" mesh is very good as well and quite affordable if you want something more standard at normal tension as I'm sure any high quality standard mesh is.

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 12:38:29 AM »
S mesh is the "S"hit. Less pressure, better opacity, and the print quality is noticeably better. You do not need the mega high tension either. It is more delicate but well worth the risk.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 10:01:57 AM »
S mesh is the "S"hit. Less pressure, better opacity, and the print quality is noticeably better. You do not need the mega high tension either. It is more delicate but well worth the risk.

The thing is that I'll be doing the stretching for sure since it's just me, my wife and  a part timer. The reason I asked is that I've checked out the muramaki mesh from shurloc, but noticed that max tension is low compared to the saati mesh.  Of course I don't care if you get a better quality print.  I've heard so many say they were printing with 50 newtons.  Even the newman panels don't recommend that level of tension.  Do any of you break the rules on the max tension by exceeding it or do you stick with the recommended levels with the panels.  Is the lower recommended max tension because of the glued strips on the panels?  Man I need a life, it seems that all I do is think of my job.
It's not a job if you love doing it.

Offline Admiral

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2012, 02:03:53 PM »

The thing is that I'll be doing the stretching for sure since it's just me, my wife and  a part timer. The reason I asked is that I've checked out the muramaki mesh from shurloc, but noticed that max tension is low compared to the saati mesh.  Of course I don't care if you get a better quality print.  I've heard so many say they were printing with 50 newtons.  Even the newman panels don't recommend that level of tension.  Do any of you break the rules on the max tension by exceeding it or do you stick with the recommended levels with the panels.  Is the lower recommended max tension because of the glued strips on the panels?  Man I need a life, it seems that all I do is think of my job.

The tensions are lower because instead of standard thread diameters they are thinner threads (hence the 'S').  Thinner threads can't take as much tension but they don't need it.  The open area is much higher, takes a lot less pressure, and has much lower potential to cause moire because there is much less chance for mesh interference.  Only downsides are a bit higher price, more delicate mesh.  I think it's been 2 months since someone broke a screen for us though, we have over 100 S thread screens.

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2012, 02:04:40 PM »

That's like telling a journeyman mechanic craftsman makes quality tools.

but seriously.. what mesh to use if your preference really. The big brands are Roller mesh, Dynamesh, Murakami (they make the s thread) and Saati to name a few. Check your local vendors and they'll be more than happy to drop off a couple yards for you to play with.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 02:43:46 PM by jsheridan »
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2012, 03:01:07 PM »

That's like telling a journeyman mechanic craftsman makes quality tools.

LOL. True to a point. Although my old Snap on guy would disagree with all the broken stuff he had to keep replacing every time he came to see me at the race shop.

www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline ScreenPrinter123

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2012, 03:29:23 PM »
Any Questions? ;)

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2012, 03:54:31 PM »
Any Questions? ;)

Just one, how do you run a 6 head Tajima. ;)

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2012, 04:26:53 PM »
my big selling point with the newman panels, is being able to make all screen mesh counts the same tension, thus standardizing my screen making process
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285