Author Topic: MSP3140  (Read 1441 times)

Offline cleveprint

• !!!
MSP3140
« on: January 04, 2013, 09:47:04 AM »
Hi All,

I wanted to know if anyone knew the difference between the older style unit and the newer style. The specs look the same (unless I missed something). Is it just the body style that is different? We wanted to upgrade our exposure so that we could get a Tri-Lock. Right now we have an old, but trusty, 40-1K. Thanks!!

Matt

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: MSP3140
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 09:56:30 AM »
we have the first generation 3140, one that was designed before M&R. Some of the wiring in the control circuitry is sub par and we have about one problem a year with it. So even though it might not sound like it, it is very reliable. None of the problems are a big deal, we lost the memory settings a couple of times, had to replace a blanket and the rubber seals hold up for about couple of years before we have to reglue them (which is probably our fault). When something goes we are usually back up and running in an hour or two.

I know from talking to the tech that they fixed some of the issues we have on the newer units. Ours has four posts and the light area is not enclosed unlike the M&R units.

It is a huge improvement over the 40-1k no matter which version it is. I don't see us spending money to upgrade to a newer version of it, don't really think the return is there. You are more than welcome to stop by the shop and check it out (we are in Eastlake).

pierre

Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline cleveprint

• !!!
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 10:12:42 AM »
thanks for the reply pierre. i figured there would be regular maintenance. just like any piece of older equipment. i got a good lead on a used unit, 2002 is the year. as long as the guts are similar, ill be happy with the upgrade and being able to pop a tri-lock into it. although i can't complain about our 40-1K too much. the unit has been nearly zero maintenance for a very long time....

thanks for the offer to stop by. we are over in lakewood near W. 117th. if i can squeeze out, ill let you know. it would be nice to meet someone from the forum....

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 10:47:26 AM »
thanks for the reply pierre. i figured there would be regular maintenance. just like any piece of older equipment. i got a good lead on a used unit, 2002 is the year. as long as the guts are similar, ill be happy with the upgrade and being able to pop a tri-lock into it. although i can't complain about our 40-1K too much. the unit has been nearly zero maintenance for a very long time....

thanks for the offer to stop by. we are over in lakewood near W. 117th. if i can squeeze out, ill let you know. it would be nice to meet someone from the forum....

Matt,

few ppl have mentioned your name to me already. 'would be cool to meet!
Our unit was built in the early 90's so an '02 will be the new version. You should be very happy with the upgrade!

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline sweetts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication DUH
MSP3140
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 11:09:47 AM »
Hey Matt Roger here, if you get rid of the 40-1k let me know what your asking I might be interested. I am in willowick but my day job is on 137th and Lorain.

RT Screen Designs
www.rtscreendesigns.com
RT Screen Designs
Willowick Ohio
www.rtscreendesigns.com

Offline cleveprint

• !!!
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 02:05:31 PM »
pierre, ut oh, my name being mentioned..... actually when researching autos a few years ago, i almost came out to your shop with Rob from Hirsch to look at your press. price kept us from looking at the MHMs and we ended up with our M&R.

Roger, if we do get the new to us unit, Id be happy to entertain offers. Not sure what the going rate would be. I would not want to rip you off though so Id like to research it some.

Thanks for the info guys.

Offline RonH

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 06:52:37 PM »
Hi All,

I wanted to know if anyone knew the difference between the older style unit and the newer style. The specs look the same (unless I missed something). Is it just the body style that is different? We wanted to upgrade our exposure so that we could get a Tri-Lock. Right now we have an old, but trusty, 40-1K. Thanks!!

Matt

Matt,
I will assume you are comparing the original MSP3140, the one that looks more like a table with four legs, to our current style.  One of the posts commented that the specs are the same, which is true.  We are still using the same 1200Watt lamp, but beyond that there are a lot of differences.  The obvious difference is that the cabinet is totally enclosed on the current model, as compared to the earlier model where there was an opening where the light was able to come out of the unit.  This means the newer unit can be operated in the same room where coated screens are located.  Just like comparing almost any new product to one that was designed 20 years ago, there are many small changes that have taken place other than the obvious change in the cabinet.  There are still many of the early model MSP3140 units in use, but the ones that have been used hard in busy shops for a lot of years have seen better days.  As you would expect us to do, we have continued to make upgrades to almost every area on the MSP3140, so yes there are a lot of differences between the old and the new.   They are very different even though they share the same model number, exposure lamp and purpose.  You are welcome to contact me if you have any specific questions on these units.

Ron Hopkins
Domestic NuArc Sales Mgr.
M&R Sales and Service Inc.
Office:770-254-1584
Cell: 847-997-2487

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2013, 11:56:32 AM »
Hi Matt, I'm bit south from you, it is a quite a big Cleveland community here on the board.

I also have 40-1K that I purchased about 2 years ago when I started. They can be found priced from $300-$400 all the way up to a $1000, I depends how much person wants to make on it. I have purchased mine from a guy in Painesville for $350 and I paid $50 for him to deliver it to me. I think that is a more than a fair price for it (Depending on a condition, of course).