Author Topic: I think I fried my MSP3140  (Read 1316 times)

Offline Mark @ Hurricane Printing

I think I fried my MSP3140
« on: January 05, 2013, 02:07:09 PM »
On Friday 1-04-13 I finally, after 7 yrs , I got my garage set up for my screen printing biz. The lease was up Dec 31st on my "hole in the wall" shop and I was taking a butt kicking finacially so I moved it all into my garage.
But in the process of wiring everything up I believe I may have ruined my MSP 3140 exposure unit. By ruined I mean "fried it".
I wrote an email that explains in detail, with pics, that show my steps for installing the wiring..the email is 99% pics.
I would like to send this email to someone from Nuarc or someone that knows about these things in general. I just went to the M&R site and sent a request in thru their site to put me in contact with someone that can maybe walk me thru on how to save my exposure unit. I listed my contact info below incase someone from this site would care to contact me to walk me thru somesteps that may fix it...or if they would want to see recieve the email I wrote. It's long but 99% pics...really its pics with captions above and below..its a long email becuase the pics take up a whole page so dont let the size of email scare you off haha.

Mark Herring
504-701-3218
mherring27@cox.net

Mark

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
Re: I think I fried my MSP3140
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 02:40:28 PM »
I've done a lot of 110/220 wiring, including converting some 3 phase stuff to single phase and would be happy to take a look for you.

inkworks@telus.net

You may just want to post the email/pics here and get even more help through broader exposure though.

A very quick first step is to use your nose, "fried" electronics smell... well, "fried". As an ex stereo installer/salesman/repair depot, the first stop for anything coming in not working was under our noses, if it passes that test fuses, internal and external are the next stop. That weeded out 75% of problems, the other 25% are a little tougher.
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 02:53:52 PM »
Mark, in the thread just before yours (now under this one) the MSP 3140 is also getting discussed. Ron Hopkins from M&R (the owners of Nuarc) contributed there, and is the guy you want to talk to now.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline RonH

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 03:36:37 PM »
Mark, if you will send your information to me I will take a look and get back to you. My email address is ron.hopkins@mrprint.com.  Please let me know the best number and time to call you back after I get a chance to look at your info. 

Ron Hopkins

Offline Mark @ Hurricane Printing

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 06:56:00 PM »
Thank you everyone...but I think I got it. I was freaking out big time...but in a nutshell what made me think I ruined it for good was I mistakenly plugged the exposure unit into an outlet that was fed by a double pole 30A breaker...I plugged it in...turned it on and it came on...so I went to test the vacuum part of it so I set an exposure time from the Function button and hit Start....It started for about 2 seconds then killed.

Once I realized what I did, thats when I went nuts...I put a 110/220 tester on all areas of the internal parts not really knowing what to test. I then went to Home Depot and purchased an OHM meter to test the fuses. 1 of the 4 was bad..I replaced it..then plugged in to the correct outlet (being fed by a 20A single pole breaker) and it came right on.....so again I go to test the vacuum blanket...I chose same option on Function button..hit Start....and the vacuum worked fine...but the exposing timer was not counting down....i fried the light bulb.
Mark