Author Topic: this is crazy. we just printed 850 shirts on a screen without any tape!  (Read 6581 times)

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
'not sure who screwed up and forgot to tape off the screen, but we went 850 pieces into a 1k order without anybody noticing the missing blockout tape.
It was a 305 with ultrasoft bright blue which is pretty dense for an Ultrasoft so it just ended up sitting on top of the mesh. 
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
I've done that before, several times, it makes you wonder why we spend so much on tape a year because ink has never seeped through and gotten on a shirt on any of those occasions.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
we are "tapeless"  - 19" scoop coater -no tape -ever. it's the bees knees.
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member

Hey Homer. Are you using 19" to coat crap side of 20x24 screens? What are you using for inside coat (if you apply one)?
I like this idea, tape is a pain!!!

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member

and when exactly were you going to share that with us? how much gap do yo have and is it ever a problem? What about the front and the back?
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
19" on 23x31 screens. . .we have about an1/8" of open area on each side. . .bees. . .friggen . . .knees. . .

we have a larger coater for manual frames too. . . .tape is one area that bottle necked reclaim and set up speed. we tried quick dry blockout, permanent blockout, 3" masking tape. . . .this is the best for us.

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
I posted about this a while back but not many people read my posts or take me serious haha. . .I get the feeling people get the glazed over look reading my nonsense. . .I know, I get it here too haha. .

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
Got any pics Homer? 

We could probably get away with not using tape since there is a very small gap between the edge of the emulsion and our permanent tape on the screens so maybe we'll give it a shot to see what happens.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
Manual screen is 20x24, with inside frame dimension of 17" for the opening. Could I coat with 18" on the shirt side of the mesh and then I will have 1/2' of overlap with the actual aluminum frame. That gives me no gaps or a need for a tape. On the ink side, I could still use my 16" coater. The only bad thing would be a need for two coaters.

Did someone try this?

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
since I'm still using a Go Phone -don't have a camera, I'll bring in mine from home and take a pic. What we do is coat the screen with the coater a little off center, about 1/4" or so, then when we flip the screen over, off set it again the other way about 1/4". It still leaves you with a perfect usable area, but closes the gap on the sides. we go through a tad bit more emulsion, but that's nothing compared to the time it takes to tape and untape, plus the tape itself. same deal with the manuals.

D-nuts - No need to have 2 scoop coaters, that would be a pita. . standard size is 16" I believe, buy a 17" and try it out, it really works.

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
I like using tape only for keeping the ink and chems out of the corners. I think if some day we go with a dip tank I will try no tape.

Hey Homer you don't see any issues running the scoop coater so close to the edge? I would think the tension would be so high near the edge that the center area would have a higher build up?
"No man is an island"

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
nope. I'm using panelframes, not newmans so I don't know how that would work, I've never coated a newman.

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
There was something in the air yesterday. I was running 500 and the screen blew apart at 496....lol
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
There was something in the air yesterday. I was running 500 and the screen blew apart at 496....lol

OUCH!!!

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Luckily we run these a lot so I had some left over from the last run and just filled the order that way.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin