Author Topic: index seps  (Read 3094 times)

Offline patfinn

• Verified/Junior
index seps
« on: January 06, 2013, 03:00:26 PM »
I am trying to do some index testing. looking for some tried and true index seps. anyone have any that i can use to do some testing. They will not be printed and sold or anything like that. Strictly for index testing on seps that have been proven to work.
Patrick Lashbrook
M&R Sales and Service
Technical Sales Associate
patrick.lashbrook@mrprint.com

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
Re: index seps
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 06:15:03 PM »
Have you looked at the wilflex easy art? I think they have a few that you can download.
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline patfinn

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 09:47:37 PM »
they have stuff on there but no index.
Patrick Lashbrook
M&R Sales and Service
Technical Sales Associate
patrick.lashbrook@mrprint.com

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 09:33:20 AM »
yeah, try http://www.squaredot.com/Products/

email Brian and see if he will email you a test file.  He used to have one available for download.

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 09:42:34 AM »
I think Great Dane has sepped art in any flavor, sim process for sure but probably some index.
"No man is an island"

Offline Doug B

• !!!
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 09:58:23 AM »
yeah, try http://www.squaredot.com/Products/

This works great, but in the end it is only a set of actions for PhotoShop. If you have PS, you
can do the same thing (with a little more work). There are plenty of tuts available.

Offline BorisB

index seps
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 04:01:40 PM »
they have stuff on there but no index.

i beleive this one is index
http://wilflexeasyart.com/downloads/Lizard.zip

At least when we bought SW lizard test file was indexed.

Boris

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 04:24:54 PM »
do some searching on this board, there is a lot of conversation on this. Indexing works great, but it's not for all images. Gradations and fade outs look better with halftones I think, but we've done some very nice indexed images. Learning the technique is one thing, deciding which images will work with it is something else again.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline nobrainsd

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 05:57:00 PM »
patfinn,

What sort of sample file are you looking for? Size, color count, target mesh?  I print with index all of the time. It lends itself well to manual printing for the consistancy. While gain is still an issue it isn't as significant as it is with halftone reproduction. The variability of manual printing benefits from that aspect.

Most of my personal prints (that I could freely forward) are set up for eight colors (seven top coats and one underbase) that I printed through 230 mesh at 185 ppi.

When I look to index an image I think carefully about where I want to spend my colors. I often separate individual sections of the image with different color palettes to get the right result. If there is a dominant element like a blend that I really want to look awesome it gets an extra intermediate color to make the transition smooth.  Things like drop shadows I often separate individually using just a gray scaled section of the image to get the distribution of the dots to be more pleasing. You can mix indexed and halftone dots in the same image if you want. When I worked with plastisol I avoided layering most of the time as a really soft hand was my goal. But there is no reason to not layer color if you want. It won't be a turn key sep, but those are never all that great even with sim process. It is a matter of ink type and your ability to juggle color sequence and flashes to maximize the mix. Indexing seps from a set palette in one shot is the most limited way to make an indexed sep! I'm happily printing DC inks now with indexed seps and the reduced fibrillation on soft hand prints is making me very happy.

Let me know if you want me to send a file for a small eight color image like the pelican or the larger seven color no underbase foiling design that I have attached. If that is too much for you I recommend starting with basic shapes or typestyles filled with a simple blend. Indexing is a great tool in anyones printing arsenal and any manual printer doing long runs with the need to have them be consistent should try it.

Here are my favorite tuts on indexed seps.
http://www.jimiyo.com/indexseps.htm
http://www.teedesign.com/Technical_Info.htm

« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 06:04:16 PM by nobrainsd »