Author Topic: labelling screens correctly  (Read 2020 times)

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
labelling screens correctly
« on: January 07, 2013, 03:12:27 PM »
I've searched the boards, i could have sworn this has been talked about before, but how do you guys label your m3s/mzxs correctly? i've tried everything from taping papers to the screens, making stickers, and writing on the mesh. But they all seem to come off eventually.

Any cool tips and tricks i should try?

oh and happy new years everyone!
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline sweetts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication DUH
labelling screens correctly
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 03:19:22 PM »
Industrial marker

RT Screen Designs
www.rtscreendesigns.com
RT Screen Designs
Willowick Ohio
www.rtscreendesigns.com

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: labelling screens correctly
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 03:21:47 PM »
Color coded zip ties.

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 03:25:57 PM »
I've tried many ideas, color coded anything works great but hard to see any colors in our screen room. Next time I am at a hardware store I am going to look for number punches, simple hand held ones you tap with a hammer.
"No man is an island"

Offline screenprintguy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Constantly thanking the Lord!
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 03:38:13 PM »
Inkman, change your lighting over to LED lighting. I just did our new imaging and screen room over to LED corn cobb style bulbs, it's bright like a stadium in there and no affect to the emulsion. I even left them all on with screens sitting out during Christmas on accident, 4 days and didn't mess with the emulsion at all. There is a seller on ebay called TopTom sells them really cheap. They are awesome man. I can actually see what I'm doing now in there instead of working around that ridiculous yellow light.

Mike
Evolutionary Screen Printing & Embroidery
3521 Waterfield Parkway Lakeland, Fl. 33803 www.evolutionaryscreenprinting.com

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 04:18:39 PM »
I don't really understand why others don't do it the way we do it but to each their own.  I put a strip of white tape on the frame, write the mesh count clearly on that white tape, then put clear packing tape over that to protect the number from the dip tank and all the other stuff the screen has to stand up to and it's really very simple.  No trying to come up with a color code or writing on the corner of a screen or anything, it's just simple and it works like a charm.  If you put a different mesh in a frame you take the clear packing tape off, put some ink degradent on a paper towel, and the marker comes right off and you then put the new mesh count on it.  We have probably 15 different mesh counts here so this way makes the most sense.

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 04:20:37 PM »
I don't really understand why others don't do it the way we do it but to each their own.  I put a strip of white tape on the frame, write the mesh count clearly on that white tape, then put clear packing tape over that to protect the number from the dip tank and all the other stuff the screen has to stand up to and it's really very simple.  No trying to come up with a color code or writing on the corner of a screen or anything, it's just simple and it works like a charm.  If you put a different mesh in a frame you take the clear packing tape off, put some ink degradent on a paper towel, and the marker comes right off and you then put the new mesh count on it.  We have probably 15 different mesh counts here so this way makes the most sense.

You have magic tape because when I do things like that in time the chems get under the tape and make a mess of it.
"No man is an island"

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 04:24:42 PM »
That is one of the original shurlocs I stretched almost 3 years ago so it's held up well.  It's just uline 2" packaging tape over the top, I don't use our special screen tape for this procedure.  I make sure there are no creases that water could seap into the area but I'm not doing anything special to it.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline IntegrityShirts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 04:29:17 PM »
I used to cut sign vinyl for the static frames, clean alum with alcohol and stick, never had one come off.  Now I sharpie in the softened corners of the M3's and don't hit'em too hard with the pressure washer.  Probably should cut more vinyl stickers though.

Offline Mr Tees!!

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 04:43:02 PM »
..we do the cut-vinyl sticker thing too. We put ours on one side only and in the same spot, cuz we are OCD like that. Cover em with some HQ packing tape and they should be on there forever. If you are labeling the blue frame rollers, I would cut them from white vinyl.
Thanks TSB gang!!

...Sean, Mr Tees!!!

Offline Mr Tees!!

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2013, 04:48:42 PM »
..we do the cut-vinyl sticker thing too. We put ours on one side only and in the same spot, cuz we are OCD like that. Cover em with some HQ packing tape and they should be on there forever. If you are labeling the blue frame rollers, I would cut them from white vinyl.
...lets try the attachment again...
Thanks TSB gang!!

...Sean, Mr Tees!!!

Offline Mr Tees!!

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2013, 04:53:32 PM »
...hey heres a great idea, lets see how badly I can clutter up a thread!! Good job, Mr Tees!!

...my bad guys, the attachment didnt show up immediatly in my first post, so I assumed I did it wrong. Can I claim newbie mistake? No? Eh, it was worth a shot... :-[
Thanks TSB gang!!

...Sean, Mr Tees!!!

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2013, 04:58:20 PM »
Vinyl cut here too, but we use Hix Retens, which are probably more suitable for the stickers than Newmans would be.
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2013, 07:25:34 PM »
Color coded zip ties.

Get this man a chicken dinner!

I've tried every method posted here and then some.. nothing works like the zip tie!

Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2013, 07:56:45 PM »
there are serveral ways the easiest is to completely clean the frame in the area to be marked use a sharpie to indicate the mesh and place clear packing tape over the the marked image we have some od these that are going on 3 + years.
A little more involved mark the mesh in the softened area of the corners with a typical sharpie and coat bothe sides with a brush dipped in quick set epoxy or fiberglass resin.
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.