Author Topic: what specific donut probe/reader do i need to buy  (Read 11373 times)

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: what specific donut probe/reader do i need to buy
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2011, 11:37:08 PM »

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2011, 01:42:22 PM »
What you have Gilligan doesn't respond quickly to temp changes, which is necessary for seeing
if a garment is getting a full cure during the time it travels down the conveyor.

It is a good tool for measuring static temp of the dryer though.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2011, 03:59:40 PM »
We use a temp gun seems to be doing the trick
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2011, 04:10:57 PM »
Many of us use a non-contact thermometer with usable results, but we know that we are not measuring the bottom of our ink deposits. We have, at best, learned how to translate a surface reading to a relative temperature of the whole layer.

What the Cooper-Atkins Donut does is allow the "cross hairs" to actually be buried at the bottom of the layer of a sample print, and give a truly accurate reading of what has happened to the whole ink layer.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2011, 10:09:07 PM »
Frog summed it up.  I wanted to invest in one of these because we're going from a 20" long chamber with a single IR panel to a 10 foot long one with a heated forced air middle and IR panels at either end.  Figured it would be nice to not only map out what's going on in there but to see what we have for a high/low inside the chamber.  I may not be running the last IR 'bump' panel at all so the IR gun wouldn't be as handy as with a shorter dryer.

We use a raytek raynger right now and it's handy for sure but my ultimate test is washing and drying, there's just nothing as absolute as that. 

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2011, 02:03:56 PM »
For those that are using the donut probe, what peak temperature are you looking for in comparison to the ink manufactures listed curing temperature? For example, manufacturer lists "Cure at 325°F (162°C) over a 60-90 second period". Also, has anyone used theirs to sync their flash times?

Offline tiredew

« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2012, 04:40:56 PM »
According to the Wilflex How-To guide you're supposed to press the wires into the ink. Is it easy to remove the probe once the ink has cured completely around it?

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2012, 04:47:52 PM »
According to the Wilflex How-To guide you're supposed to press the wires into the ink. Is it easy to remove the probe once the ink has cured completely around it?

Yes, the ink won't be completely around the wires unless you have a very thick deposit of ink which you won't have when doing this type of testing.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.