Author Topic: Half Tone Dots are so Old School  (Read 13259 times)

Offline DouglasGrigar

• Can you test, repeat, and measure it? fact or not?
Re: Half Tone Dots are so Old School
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2011, 08:08:27 PM »
A job that would take 3 min. in Illustrator now takes 30 seconds in Photoshop.  ;)

That depends on what you are doing - one of the big problems out there is judging what program to use for the end result.

Care to use photoshop for 300 high school names on the back of a graduation shirt?  :o
When there are no standards, you must make them!

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2011, 11:18:50 PM »
"You can rent one of our computers and set your type the new way!" Computers? says I?

So, on the way to the "day job" at Andy's, at 7:00, I'd stop in at Kinko's at 5:30 or 6:00 when the clerk had a little time to show me how to "compute" and a lot of showing me where my stuff went when I moved the cursor too far. When he was busy with another customer, all I could think about were  the rental minutes ticking away. But type, and type set I did, then it was cut and paste to make camera copy.
So, I can honestly say that I started out as a Mac guy! lol!

I had a Mac, but no printer. Late night runs to Kinko's to run off a laser print from a Mac Plus. I used to take my fonts along and a disk with the font downloader and download the fonts I'd used in Pagemaker onto their printer so I could get what I needed. The place I bought my first Mac also had a film imagesetter in an adjacent section, and you could bring your disk in, rent a machine in 15 minute increments, and output negs or film and paper positives. It was handy as hell while it lasted.
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Offline Command-Z

• !!!
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2011, 11:44:49 AM »
A job that would take 3 min. in Illustrator now takes 30 seconds in Photoshop.  ;)

That depends on what you are doing - one of the big problems out there is judging what program to use for the end result.

Care to use photoshop for 300 high school names on the back of a graduation shirt?  :o

I guess my main point there is that I hate Illustrator's Gradient Tool. I can make a selection and swipe the airbrush with my stylus pen and shade an object much faster than trying to get that Illy tool to give me the gradient colors and angle that I want. Gradient Mesh is the same... too mechanical, while raster painting is more natural, more like real-world painting or airbrushing. (I do mostly high-end illustration these days. Drafting in Illustrator, painting and sep in PS).

If I did more basic vector-based t-shirt graphics, like class names, (especially inside a number), honestly, it's one instance I think I'd prefer Corel Draw over Illy. Draw's type editing tools are way more suited for stuff like that. (Been there, done that... I've used both, that's just my opinion).

But now look. I've changed the direction of this thread. Sorry, I didn't mean to make it a software-fanboy discussion.  :-X
Design, Illustration and Color Separation for the Imprinted Apparel Industry for over 20 years. SeibelStudio.com
 Custom art not in the budget? Check out Bad Bonz Designs