Author Topic: Shur-loc EZ Frame Conversion for Static Alums?  (Read 13227 times)

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Shur-loc EZ Frame Conversion for Static Alums?
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2011, 06:49:54 AM »
The kit comes with silicone and rivets, I do both as the instruction sheet I have says to do it that way.

After I sand my frames down, I can assemble 1 in 10 to 15 minutes.  I do 2 sides at a time and it goes faster.  Go to Home Depot and get a second set of the spring clamps, or just use some speed clamps.

I did another 4 yesterday and got them stretched already.  I let mine relax overnight before coating.

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2011, 09:36:30 AM »
Now these just attach to the 4 sides then the mesh panel gets stretched to the "L" bar. That is correct right? I asked this before but what if you have a frame that is taller and wider. Is that mesh going to have more tension? The mesh has to stretch a farther distance. (higher Newton?) What if your frame is a little smaller maybe even a 16th of a inch. That’s got to be 5 to 6 Newton’s of tension? Is there a way to deal with this?  I am not trying to find things wrong with them I think this is a great Idea and a great option.

if anyone know please let me know,

Jon

If you have some odd shaped frames, like 23-1/2" by 31-1/4" or smaller frames then you'll likely have some issues with the stock panels.  I'll bet that if you talked to shurloc and tell them the exact size of your frames, they can adjust the panels to fit your needs.  I know they can alter the panels and make them hold higher tension than normal so I would guess they could alter them enough to fit an odd sized frame.  I know it's a pain in the butt for some people to call a business and ask a bunch of questions but everyone at shurloc is a joy to talk to and they are awesome at customer service.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2011, 10:11:11 AM »
Now these just attach to the 4 sides then the mesh panel gets stretched to the "L" bar. That is correct right? I asked this before but what if you have a frame that is taller and wider. Is that mesh going to have more tension? The mesh has to stretch a farther distance. (higher Newton?) What if your frame is a little smaller maybe even a 16th of a inch. That’s got to be 5 to 6 Newton’s of tension? Is there a way to deal with this?  I am not trying to find things wrong with them I think this is a great Idea and a great option.

if anyone know please let me know,

Jon

If you have some odd shaped frames, like 23-1/2" by 31-1/4" or smaller frames then you'll likely have some issues with the stock panels.  I'll bet that if you talked to shurloc and tell them the exact size of your frames, they can adjust the panels to fit your needs.  I know they can alter the panels and make them hold higher tension than normal so I would guess they could alter them enough to fit an odd sized frame.  I know it's a pain in the butt for some people to call a business and ask a bunch of questions but everyone at shurloc is a joy to talk to and they are awesome at customer service.

I asked them the same question at the show and Jim said no adjustment was needed. Not sure if I got that wrong or not, let's see if they can answer . . .
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline shurloc

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2011, 12:00:05 PM »
Hey guys, this is Ron from shur-loc... Pierre mentioned I should stop in here, so I'll try and help where I can...

1)  The recommendation is not to exceed the 'frame size' by more than 1/8" in any direction - bigger or smaller. Smaller is ok, but you will lose tension on the fabrics. Bigger is not as ok, since the fabrics are designed to go to the optimal tension - and stretching them further than that may break them. 1/4" is too far to push many of the lighter fabrics (195+) and will result in lower fabric life on the lower meshes that will still hold that higher tension. One trick to use if you wanted to run on 'oversized' frames is to run a lower tension by using the second hook instead of the third hook for your production runs.

2)  The weight... The standard 23x31 kit places about 4 pounds extra on the frame.

3)  The height... The angle kit and tension bar add about 3/8" to the frame height.

4)  The attachment... Getting the angles on is rather simple. You spread waterproof/chemically resistant silicone on the angle (this seals it from moisture and will keep your chemicals from getting everywhere when you remove it from a dip tank), clamp the angle on with the spring clamps (and yes, these are the $2 ones from Lowes/Home Depot if you want to get more to do more frames at once), drill the spots for the self sealing rivets, put the rivets in - this makes the 'permanent' attachment, and 5 minutes later (or when the silicone dries) your frame is ready to go. You can actually stretch them as soon as the rivets are in, but we recommend letting the silicone dry also.

And finally, what sort of images would you guys like? Or would you rather have a video of installing them? I'd be happy to snag Jim for a 5 minute session today to get whatever you would like and post it to our YouTube channel or just post images in the forum.

Thanks and keep the questions coming - I'll be checking in shortly to answer them.
Online at: www.shurloc.com - Like Us On Facebook: shurloc.com/Facebook - How To Videos: shurloc.com/YouTube - Follow Us For Updates: shurloc.com/Twitter

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2011, 12:03:52 PM »
You guys need to spend some more time here.

I've done 6 frames so far and it's faster to do 2 sides at once, so an extra set of clamps is a great idea.  They are $.99 at my Home Depot.  My next purchase is a pneumatic riveter. 

Offline shurloc

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2011, 01:06:21 PM »
@mk162 - I'll be spending as much time as I can here answering questions and giving what feeble advice we have for you guys. We actually learn more from reading feedback on forums from users than we do from posting our own stuff.
Online at: www.shurloc.com - Like Us On Facebook: shurloc.com/Facebook - How To Videos: shurloc.com/YouTube - Follow Us For Updates: shurloc.com/Twitter

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2011, 01:19:05 PM »
Yeah, but letting us know you are listening is HUGE.

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2011, 01:31:00 PM »
I'd love to see a video of the conversion from start to finish.  As far as pics go, maybe one of all the parts sitting there, then a few pics throughout the assembly process and obviously the finished product.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline shurloc

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2011, 02:05:31 PM »
@Alan - For the videos, I will get with Jim and get something shot ASAP - he's off designing a jumbo frame for a customer this morning.

Also, Sheri came up with a great point about the clamps... You only need to leave them on until the rivets are in. So, silicone one side, clamp, drill, rivet then remove the clamps - you don't have to leave them on for more than a few seconds if you don't want the get more of them... And if you decide you do want them - just let us know and we can add a set to your order as an additional item...

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2011, 02:59:22 PM »
@mk162 - I'll be spending as much time as I can here answering questions and giving what feeble advice we have for you guys. We actually learn more from reading feedback on forums from users than we do from posting our own stuff.

Well, no sh*t shurloc!
Sorry, I couldn't resist.  ;)
Pierre beat me to the punch contacting you when this topic came up, because, who better to answer these questions than you? The proverbial horse whose mouth straightly provides the best information.  ;D
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2011, 03:31:26 PM »
Here is how I do it...

1. Start with a clean frame
2. Cut a spacer to use to line up the L brackets
3. Put adhesive on the back of a short size and line it up.
4. Same with a long side
5. Clamp both sides
6. Drill holes in short and long side
7. Put rivets in

The less you change tools, the better.  Do all you can of 1 task before switching.  If I had a better workspace, i would do all 4 sides at once.

Offline DraginInk

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2011, 03:42:49 PM »
I need a visual. I've got a small pile of frames waiting for something to be done with. If they could get out and play like the Newmans... I believe their lives would be more complete.
Jim, Sheri and family have been nothing but helpful since I met them all toughs years ago :)
Here we go ...again

Offline shurloc

« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2011, 03:51:15 PM »
@frog - Oh no, you didn't go there...  :P

@draginink - Hey, we should just have Jim and Sheri come install the kits for you... We always like to let them get away...  ;D

@mk162 - Sounds like you've got the process down perfectly... I'm running through the benefits of the second set of clamps with Sheri right now... It's not a great idea to do all 4 at once though, since the silicone may start to dry before you get the angles clamped - meaning you won't get a good seal... :)

« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 03:56:48 PM by shurloc »

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2011, 04:03:20 PM »
I would love a video. I have a crap load of statics doing nothing if I could see it done in action i would definitely consider it. Plus I have a box full of c-clamps, spring clamps etc. And a rivet gun.
"No man is an island"

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2011, 05:15:26 PM »
I need a visual. I've got a small pile of frames waiting for something to be done with. If they could get out and play like the Newmans... I believe their lives would be more complete.
Jim, Sheri and family have been nothing but helpful since I met them all toughs years ago :)

BTW, nice avatar Doug!
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!