Author Topic: Shur-loc EZ Frame Conversion for Static Alums?  (Read 13218 times)

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
Shur-loc EZ Frame Conversion for Static Alums?
« on: June 16, 2011, 11:02:50 AM »
Has anyone bought this new product and used it yet?  It basically converts all of your static aluminums into the EZ frame system.  There is not a real good pic of the product and not much info on the shur-loc website (not a big fan of the shurloc website, it drives me nuts) but the concept is very simple and seems like it would work great.  I have about 25 bare frames sitting around and if I can turn them into a high tension screen for half the price of a normal EZ frame, then it's a no brainer.  I am going to purchase some murakami 330 panels today so I might just buy one of the conversion kits and try one out.  Just wondering if anyone has tried out this product yet?
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Shur-loc EZ Frame Conversion for Static Alums?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 11:11:02 AM »
I have answers, what are they worth to you?

Offline Donnie

• !!!
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 11:24:23 AM »
I have about 24 shur-locs. I dig em but they are heavy bitches. I do have a butt load of empty alums also. Keep us posted.

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 11:24:45 AM »
It would be worth a very sincere "thanks man", or "I really appreciate it bro", or "you better tell me what you know or I'll hunt you down, hold you hostage and waterboard you till I get the info I want" :).

I just got of the phone with shurloc and ordered one kit, along with some murakami 330's so I will know what kind of product they are in about a week, but I'd sure like to hear others' opinion on them so I know what to expect.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 11:28:18 AM »
So far I like them.  They are much thicker than a standard frame though, that is the only drawback.  They work exactly like a regular shur-loc.

I have around 60 frames I will be converting.

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 11:44:10 AM »
So far I like them.  They are much thicker than a standard frame though, that is the only drawback.  They work exactly like a regular shur-loc.

I have around 60 frames I will be converting.

I guess I will not have to waterboard you now, thanks, I didn't want to do that anyway.

So the off contact should be the same as the regular ez's right?  I don't want to have to adjust for another different off contact like I have to do between newman rollers and the ez's.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 12:04:05 PM »
right, they hold nearly identical tension as the shur-locs.  I have to take out every other rung on my drying rack though since they are dang tight in there.  I don't use every rung anyway, so it's no biggie.

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 12:20:42 PM »
do you guys want my old static frames to convert over? I have a pile of them waiting for the scrap yard.
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 12:23:01 PM »
Can we get some pics of these. I am wondering if my MHM bushings will attach to the modified frame?

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 01:30:19 PM »
Can we get some pics of these. I am wondering if my MHM bushings will attach to the modified frame?

There is only one small pic on their website of them that I could find, maybe there are more there but I didn't see them.  I can't copy the pic and post it here so you'll have to follow this link. http://www.shurloc.com/2010/Shurloc%20Flash%20002/Home.html

Offline Donnie

• !!!
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2011, 03:07:58 PM »
I am assuming you drill hole and attach wtih screws? 

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011, 03:09:01 PM »
How do you attach the "L" shaped piece to the frame? glue? Screws?  What if your static frame is just a little smaller than standard (all mine are a little different size). Would that not mess with the tension you get on that frame?

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2011, 04:45:04 PM »
How do you attach the "L" shaped piece to the frame? glue? Screws?  What if your static frame is just a little smaller than standard (all mine are a little different size). Would that not mess with the tension you get on that frame?

I talked to them briefly about it and it is my understanding that you use a silicon adhesive or if you choose, some sort of rivet mechanism and I was told there was a very comprehensive instruction sheet that would tell me all about it so I just ended it right there.  No need to talk about it if they have good instructions to go by. Whenever I get them I'll post the exact details on how to attach the L shaped piece to the frame.  I'm most likely going to try and use contact cement.  I haven't had anything fail that I've used contact cement on, when used right it will bond very strongly to just about anything.  I wouldn't think the adhesive needs to be all that strong due to the force that is going to be applied to the sides of the attachment with the screen tension, but I could be wrong.  I'll determine that when I get the kit in and try and judge what can and won't work.

I wish all aluminum frames (sides) were the exact same height/width and they could make the L shaped pieces into C shaped pieces then you could use a fairly mild adhesive, or perhaps none at all.

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2011, 06:20:16 PM »
Saw them stretch one at ISS Atlantic City. It was sitting around 42 newtons. Looks like a solid product. Looking to convert my statics soon.

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2011, 11:19:56 PM »
Now these just attach to the 4 sides then the mesh panel gets stretched to the "L" bar. That is correct right? I asked this before but what if you have a frame that is taller and wider. Is that mesh going to have more tension? The mesh has to stretch a farther distance. (higher Newton?) What if your frame is a little smaller maybe even a 16th of a inch. That’s got to be 5 to 6 Newton’s of tension? Is there a way to deal with this?  I am not trying to find things wrong with them I think this is a great Idea and a great option.

if anyone know please let me know,

Jon