Author Topic: Ink color "samples/Displays".....  (Read 2803 times)

Offline Rocfrog

Ink color "samples/Displays".....
« on: January 28, 2013, 01:52:02 PM »
I was wondering how do you show your customers what the color will look like or what ink colors you offer? I know those of you that print process this doesn't work, but what about those of you that print spot....??

I thought about taking a black shirt and a white shirt and burning a screen with a bunch of 1" squares and print one side of the shirt with a complete white under lay and then the individual color on top of that and then the other side just printing the colors directly on the shirt........

I want to hear/see your ideas or what you do at your shop.....

Nick

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Ink color "samples/Displays".....
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 02:22:31 PM »
These are what we use. There are three set that show color, UB, effects and specialty inks. We print them then glue to heavy stock, glue the die cut stock on top, gromet and ring together. Hand them out to our contrat cust an use around the shop.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 04:50:48 PM »
My wife's idea was to use mini pain buckets from someplace. I think Michael's art supply store. Smear the inside walls with a small brush or que tip to look filled. The lids snap on.  I like it. It shows the ink but they don't get ink on them of course and she built in with the whole ink/paint theme by hanging them on a custom made ladder (that she built). It's a retail store design element and functions as a color display.

Pretty cool if I may say so myself.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 04:54:17 PM »
The paint bucket idea is cool. Well if we used paint to print.... ;D

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 05:42:37 PM »
Art, paint, ink, printing, you get the idea genius. ;)
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Rocfrog

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 05:51:31 PM »
That does sound like a really cool idea!! the only thing it doesn't address is how the color will look on the garment......we have several "swatch" books from the ink manufacture but the actual "printed" ink color is sometimes no where near that.

I do really like that though!!!

Nick

Offline Northland

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 06:08:05 PM »
That does sound like a really cool idea!! the only thing it doesn't address is how the color will look on the garment......we have several "swatch" books from the ink manufacture but the actual "printed" ink color is sometimes no where near that.

I do really like that though!!!

Nick
Yep.... the dried color will often be darker... one shade/hue)

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 08:48:19 AM »
awesome idea...of course with about 100 stock colors, I would be looking at a lot of money and time in putting that together.  I love that idea, even to use as an art piece.

Offline Catnhat

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 11:57:54 AM »
Did up this for our showroom a while ago during some slow time.  Was the stock inks we had on the shelf at the time.  QCM XOLB series. 
Makes it easier to sell a customer on underbases and such,
but I'm not doing another one for a long time....what a PITA!

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2013, 12:10:14 PM »
All good examples. Our Ink girl maintains about four color books for discharge. Each color is printed with four test circles then dried with an industrial hair dryer. She has this all set up in the ink department so it doesn't interfere with production. Art, Sales and Production all have a copy

Offline Rocfrog

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2013, 01:38:07 PM »
Did up this for our showroom a while ago during some slow time.  Was the stock inks we had on the shelf at the time.  QCM XOLB series. 

This is exactly what I was thinking!

Nick

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2013, 01:48:47 PM »

"Beautiful"......

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2013, 01:48:59 PM »

Why don't the ink manufactures do this? run a few thousand shirts with every color they offer. I would buy it for $20-40. Set it up on a auto do each row then change out the screens. All the screens would be set so they just easily print the next row of colors. Do this contract and I can't see it costing them more than $5 a shirt. Each row could have a under base and non under base version.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2013, 02:26:45 PM »
Wilflex did this and put them in a book and sent out to many of the larger companies.
We got one and nobody wanted it or saw it's value, so I have it still today. :)

It's got the inks and every special effect ink they do (did at that time). Great for presentations and showing the specialty inks.  I was told it's a tedious thing to make.

The easier thing for an ink manufacturer to do is to print up little squares like that above, fitting as many as you can of one or a few colors in your print area and mass produce them. You can do a run of 1000 and have someone put them together stapled or glued in a book.

Heck someone could make a business out just doing  that for ink manufacturers.

Offline Zelko-4-EVA

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2013, 03:08:41 PM »
Wilflex did this and put them in a book and sent out to many of the larger companies.
We got one and nobody wanted it or saw it's value, so I have it still today. :)

It's got the inks and every special effect ink they do (did at that time). Great for presentations and showing the specialty inks.  I was told it's a tedious thing to make.

The easier thing for an ink manufacturer to do is to print up little squares like that above, fitting as many as you can of one or a few colors in your print area and mass produce them. You can do a run of 1000 and have someone put them together stapled or glued in a book.

Heck someone could make a business out just doing  that for ink manufacturers.

we have one of those books - a sales rep gave it to us before he retired.